Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should I do LCS versioning from here on out?

Release 3.20 as 3.20
- 6 (14.3%)
Release 3.20 as 4.00
- 22 (52.4%)
Release 3.20 as 4.10
- 14 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: LCS Versioning  (Read 2109 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
LCS Versioning
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:03 pm »

I think, in hindsight, I should have made LCS 3.10 be LCS 4.00.

Why?

Because it's the first version since 3.09. It was the first release in two years, and the first time I modified the game. At this point, it makes sense to draw a clear distinction between the stuff since my first release of the game (whether by me or by others after that first 3.10 release) and what came before that. At the time, I figured it was a minor addition, and it was audacious of me to even assume the title of a new release number.

But now there's a problem. It's unclear what releases were Toady's or from that era, and which ones were mine or from this era. And I'm not even using the version numbers the same way Toady did. Instead of living in the (major release).(minor release) world that Toady's releases were in, I've been releasing in a 3.(relatively major release).(minor release) world, with a looser definition of major release, and no definition for what would change the number 3. To put this in context, in version 3.09, the source code for LCS was roughly 40,000 lines. Now the source code is around 60,000 lines. And a lot of stuff has been changed, not just expanded.

So, I think 3.19.2 should have been 4.09.2.

But then, I say, it's a little late for that. I already have been doing 3.xx.x for the last two years. And after all, I keep telling myself, maybe none of my revisions have, in themselves, been sufficient to justify a new "big number". But the truth is, I don't even know what LCS 2 looked like, or the original release. I haven't played them. I only ever played LCS 3. And I know that's the case for most people who play LCS.

So I'd like to get a sense of what you guys think I should do next:

1) Continue releasing as 3.20 and beyond
2) Instead of 3.20, release 4.00 and start from there
3) Instead of 3.20, release 4.10 for next release -- retroactively calling the previous releases 4.00 through 4.09

Please feel welcome to vote in the poll and provide your opinions in the comments.

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
Re: LCS Versioning
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »

You probably already knew this, but some information about the older versions can be found be reading the old forum threads. Some of them go back quite a ways, and they do reveal some useful information.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:17:45 pm »

I do, but it's unfortunately it's only a couple of threads with vague references to features that were cut, or systems that I don't really understand. Nothing like having the actual samples in front of me. I asked Toady for an old copy once, and he was kind enough to try to find one for me, but he doesn't have them anymore.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:18:56 pm »

Personally, I'm not quite sure when the game jumped from "3" to "4", but it obviously has done so.  We're playing a better game than the 3.09 LCS, and that should be recognized.

I'm all for the next release being LCS 4.10

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:47:30 pm »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:55 pm »

Doesn't really matter in the end.  Just roll with what you got now, less confusion is good.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:26:23 pm »

I don't know what you have planned for the next non bugfix release, but if it finishes up most of the changes you've started, the sleepers, issues, and such, the big things, that version should be 4.0. The reason is that 3.09 and the changes from 3.00 started in that direction, and finishing them off should bring it to 4.00. Now if there is more planned for the major upgrades in these past releases beyond simple balancing, you should continue with the 3.** method until those are done and you start working on a different part, say liberal activism or inputting a GTA 1 clone for car chases instead of the choose an option to escape from the cops now.

In essence, if your finishing up sleepers and combat for the next release, it should go to 4.00, if not, stay with the 3.** until the major parts other then balancing are done.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »

Well, the difficulty there is that I'm all over the map; I tend to chaotically work on whatever strikes my fancy at the time. I honestly don't know what I'll do for next release until I do it, half the time.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:41:31 am »

Personally, keep it the way it is. In my opinion the time to advance to 4.x.x is when we get some serious upgrading done. Such as implementing the Stalinist comrade squad. Or adding some more features such as assassination and REAL jury tampering. I've always wondered why we can't just tamper with the jury when they are deliberating about busted LCS members. It could easily be arranged with a sleeper ANYTHING in the court. Surely they know what case is on when! Surely they can report when the jury enters deliberations!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 05:57:01 am »

In my opinion the time to advance to 4.x.x is when we get some serious upgrading done. Such as implementing the Stalinist comrade squad. Or adding some more features such as assassination and REAL jury tampering.

Okay. I get that you're just saying leave it as it is now, then increment to 4.x.x next time I make some major changes.

However, I still feel compelled to point out that the sum of the changes I've made in the last two years do easily outstrip these proposed changes that would bring us to 4.00 in seriousness of change.

Off-hand and from memory, I added the Conservative Crime Squad. I made AK-47s and M16s fire more than one shot per turn. I overhauled the interrogation system. I rebuilt the activation screen as we know it, and added nearly half the options on there. I made hacking and prostitution real options, instead of things that just happened if you told certain types of people to cause trouble. I gave you the power to order sleepers. I built the new recruiting system. I added recruit caps, skill caps, the skill screen, and many new skills, weapons, and issues. I added gun control and the black market. I coded the bouncer at the gentleman's club. I made it so Conservatives will insult you or respond with issue-specific rebuttals when you try to chat them up about politics. I created the Massive Conservative Response system, the fact that SWAT teams will show up if you dally on site after causing alarm. Heck, I made the SWAT teams themselves. I added body armor, army veterans, MP5s, M4s, martial arts, melee counterattacks. I made two more character creation options for every question. I started using the concept of heat and crime severity to induce site raids, instead of just a search timer that starts automatically the second you commit even the most basic crime. I created the ability to break away or get tackled in police chases. I added guitars and music, molotovs and fire, spraypaint and graffiti, and age and gender.

It's a big list and there's some big stuff in there. Not to mention mountains of bugs fixed, and not just the tons of post-3.09 bugs that I introduced in the process of coding new features and changing things, but older ones as well.

Maybe I'm stroking my ego too much here, but I honestly suspect most of the players of LCS today don't fully realize how many of the features they take for granted are things I've added over the last two years. I mean, how many who weren't around when 3.09 was the latest version know that M16s and AK-47s used to fire a single shot each round, and there was no gun control? Even I sometimes forget things weren't always this way, since guns were one of the very first things I worked on, even before I planned to share my changes with anyone.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 05:40:36 pm »

I say go 4.0.

I played 3.09.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 06:30:45 pm »

As I tried to say previously, go at least 4.0, as I've also played 3.09.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 06:33:35 pm »

Sorry if that seemed to be questioning people's Elite Liberal credibility -- that post was flamboyantly stroking my own ego, and was not intended to diminish anyone in the process.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 02:12:28 am »

I played 3.09, I think you should stay with 3.20, as thats what it is. But then again its really not a big deal, I would probably play it even if it was 4.00(grudgingly of course).

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 02:32:17 am »

I honestly don't care that much. I agree that enough changes have been made to make this version 4.x.x already, though. There is a possibility I am biased, considering I have some strange hatred for the number 3.
Pages: [1] 2