Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluid 'pressure plate'  (Read 644 times)

Gryff

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fluid 'pressure plate'
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

In with the new pipes etc, is there any possibilty of getting a pressure plate that responds to fluids, preferably seperate ones for each fluid. I was thinking of something like a small water wheel for water and maybe a thin flammable items holding a lever up for magma.

This way you could set bridges/doors/floodgates etc to activate when water or magma is detected flooding in certain areas. Either as a trap or emergency bulkhead system.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Fluid 'pressure plate'
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:03:00 pm »

Don't forget fire for those flamable traps!
FYI, this has been suggested many times before... As always, it's still a great idea.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

I haven't seen it before, but I like it. Good for automating the seasonal flood system and whatnot.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

Not to mention you could build a water clock! Now that would be truly awesome! A prize to the first working 24 hour water clock built!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

Toady has said it's on the way, but not for the next version, for which we are all champing at the bit for.

Lord Nightmare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

I think what we're waiting for is a 'Float Trigger' which floats on water (or some other fluid if made of an appropriate material, i.e. rock instead of wood will maybe float on lava).

I.e. You create a float trigger and give it a threshhold (1 thru 7) and stick it on a tile. if the tile is flooded with whatever up to or beyond that threshhold, it acts like a flipped lever.

This can be used to create simple logic functions, if you use floodgates and float  triggers...

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

What you just said instantly made me think of someone trying to make a binary counter out of water, XD.  I haven't heard of this before, but it's a great idea.  I especially like the flood control system.  Instead of bulkheads, however, I'd probably just turn off sections of the fortress water supply.  Of course, that'd require being able to make the trigger only make a 'lever pulled' action happen so I can reset via a lever when I'm ready.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

Since you can flood the room to discreet levels, you don't have to use a binary system. You can make simple interrupts too, and...

Damnit! Now I want to play with this too!