Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Real dwarves defend themselves  (Read 3197 times)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real dwarves defend themselves
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:48 pm »

Just an idea for the challenge; one is not allowed to use any traps, war animals or anything that would harm/kill the potential invaders.

Yes, the entire security is built of your dwarves alone. They can use any weapons and armor as they want. The point is that one is not allowed to use elaborate traps and other mechanisms that thin the invaders out. Your dwarves have to do the entire damage.

Terrain features that only limit movement, but not block it entirely, are allowed. Choke points, elevations for marksdorfs etc. - you get the idea.

None of pussycat stome, weapon, cage, animal and magma traps. Not even ice. Kill the gobos, orcs, elves, humans, megabeasts with your dwarves alone. Oh, and isolating oneself completely is out of question.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real dwarves defend themselves
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:23:14 pm »

Lanternwebs. Not just to bump my own community fortress, but it's been using the Grand Army exclusively for defense, with the exception of the first 1.5 orc sieges. We complain when the invaders retreat with only 50% casualties. Minimal marksdwarves, too. There is a hideously unsafe deathtrap, but since its completion and test-firing invaders have never penetrated far enough for it to see use in anger.

Oh, and we caged a dragon and a skeletal troll. But that was to have a dragon and a skeletal troll in the fortress, not because the army feared them. I was actually concerned that the dragon would end up being killed before it made it to the hastily-built traps.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Necronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:53:23 pm »

Maybe with the following addendum. No drawbridges to keep the guys at bay until you are ready? Basically have it open into a courtyard where you have to fight them when they show up. + the no traps thing. I can't wait till Toady puts in some stuff for destructible walls. Give me gobbos with catapults, smashing up my walls damnit!
www.haterade-gaming.com

Get your hate on.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »

Most dwarves wouldnt to be able to survive this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUK2dPii154

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:58:47 pm »

Well, I unintentionally do this on every fort. Do I win?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:12:01 pm »

It took me until about 5 forts to actually get around to building a moat and drawbridge. I must certainly win. I would definitely suggest having some sorta mod, because really it isn't that hard. My first fortress, when I had no friggin clue what I was doing, I didn't even build traps, or sentries, or anything. I simply had an open hole coming out of the side of a cliff because I saw it on Boatmurdered. That fort lasted until I decided it would be funny to let a siege burn it to the ground. It was funny indeed.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:28:29 pm »

Yeah I do this on just about every fort. I think weapon traps are cheap and I'm just not up to the level of mechanical genius required to build huge water moving lava traps (although I'm nearly done my first). It's a lot of fun because it feels more realilistic (and your hammerdwarves play baseball with orcs).
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 03:51:54 am »

Well, embarking into terrifying biome right and landing on top of the chasm was a bad idea. Oh well, round two!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:28:53 am »

Yeah, this challenge isn't so remarkable, especially with how fast wrestling trains in the current version. Defending your fort with proficient wrestlers and novice shield users and dabbling axedwarves would be much more of a challenge.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 06:32:14 am »

Just an idea for the challenge; one is not allowed to use any traps, war animals or anything that would harm/kill the potential invaders.

I am usually playing with almost similar setting. No traps / defense mechanisms (including magma of course) are allowed in my fortresses, however I am using trained war beasts all the time, but I am not playing with the vanilla game. My DF is heavily modified, even the goblins are quite dangerous.  ;)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:48 am »

My next fort will be doing this.

I've been planning on trying this with the newest orc mod. Only more rules. No marksdwarves or wrestling training(squads must be equip with weapons before they can be set to train.) Only one plan for a elaborate trap but much later on and involving encasing in obsidian. it doesn't fit the challenge but I have to try it somewhere.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 09:17:41 am »

its not hard until an entire siege of bowmen show up

Ren Fraggle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 12:54:21 pm »

I did this once with a fort I made in the desert.  I got tired of constantly getting unwanted migrations in my other forts, so I decided to make a fort that would be a convict colony in the middle of nowhere, where bad dwarfs are sent as an execution sentence.  Every dwarf was sent there to die.  Tantrum spirals usually started at around 70-80 dwarves, and that was fine, because they always stopped with about 4-10 dwarfs left, and I could keep it going.  I made the entire living space above ground and minimal defenses, just a big wall around it with an opening on one side.  During ambushes and invasions, every dwarf was enlisted to fight it off.  When the invaders got the upper hand, they always lost interest and left before every dwarf was killed for some reason.  I had never lost that fort to every dwarf dying.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »

I was able to do this just fine against goblins, but when 24 orcs showed up part way through my second year on a new fort... that was the end of that.  I now use ballistae, and a have a rough scattering of cage traps (though those don't seem to work on orcs, they do help with pests).

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 01:30:45 pm »

My current fort has a sort of drawbridge, but I never use it except to drop invader equipment to a safer, more convenient area; I've only built three traps so far (one so I could get some river creatures for my zoo, the other two to guard a temporary entrance).  It's not much of a challenge, though--almost nothing gets past my marksdwarves despite getting sieged regularly by 8+ civilizations. My melee force's primary duty is to prevent the escape of routing enemy armies.
Pages: [1] 2