Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: MMORPGs that actually includes a bit of roleplay.  (Read 6362 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPGs that actually includes a bit of roleplay.
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2009, 05:57:00 pm »

I think I'm going to join Armageddon.

But would someone please show me one of their Background Descriptions?
I want to check that I got the format right.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2009, 06:02:08 pm »

Mini skirt. Long enough to cover the subject. Short enough to keep it interesting.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:08 pm »

Ha, that's almost exactly the same quote they use on the MUSH I've been on lately.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2009, 06:44:10 pm »

Ha, that's almost exactly the same quote they use on the MUSH I've been on lately.  :D

When I've been dumb enough to staff, it what I always tell players.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2009, 08:04:24 pm »

Default database?  Man, you're on the wrong places.

MUSHes are crummy to code in, though I have a soft spot because I learned on them.  Still most RP MUSHes don't have much emphasis on player building.  The best RP MUSH I know, a WW:tA based one, has been running for about fifteen years, 20-100 players at a time, and its database is consistently around 3000-4000 objects (tiny!).  Building unnecessary for non-builders.  Though I was on a previous Elfquest-based one with about three times the DB size for the same players, because your average player coded or cloned their own tent, ridable mount, occasional bedroom etc.

MUCKs are a totally different codebase altogether, there's almost no similarity TBH.  MUSH and MUCK are as similar as, I dunno, Diku and Circle (but not as dissimilar as your standard MudOS).  I've codewizzed on a couple MUCKs and written a lot of obscenely complex systems from scratch.  Multi-User Forth is such a *calming* language to develop in.

I'd say that on MUSHes, code literacy among the general populace is widespread but not very deep...everyone knows a little, few people do much.  Usually very technically light.  And a lot of WoD MUSHes use a pretty simple drop-in chargen system and simple utilities for bookkeeping that work quite fine.  MUCKs on the other hand, many users are very clueless, but there's a ton of in-game programs to take advantage of all the time.

I guess by 'default database' you might mean a MUCK with the standard ws, wa, morph, tport, whereis, etc. programs.  But seriously, playing a MUCK that uses some weird tool instead of 'wa', is like logging into a unix system without 'cat'.
Yeah, they all use the default script database as... base... I truly find their command style to be annoying and I've hardcoded & softcoded on them all. I'd rather stick to a non MU* ... But of course, that's a programmer/player's opinion and it's not to say there are no decent MU*es out there.

I have helped program one years ago, most of the commands were actually hardcoded, which helped with the speed and the queuing, so it was alright. The MU*s have some annoying trappings on the programmer side, I mean, it's great if you're not doing anything too complex, but it's pretty much a trade off between performance and easiness. Not to mention the fact the entire database sits in the memory whether it's being used or not. Plus there's the shady command queuing that I don't really wanna go into, lets just say it can cause some annoyances.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 08:19:47 pm »

Default database?  Man, you're on the wrong places.

MUSHes are crummy to code in, though I have a soft spot because I learned on them.  Still most RP MUSHes don't have much emphasis on player building.  The best RP MUSH I know, a WW:tA based one, has been running for about fifteen years, 20-100 players at a time, and its database is consistently around 3000-4000 objects (tiny!).  Building unnecessary for non-builders.  Though I was on a previous Elfquest-based one with about three times the DB size for the same players, because your average player coded or cloned their own tent, ridable mount, occasional bedroom etc.

MUCKs are a totally different codebase altogether, there's almost no similarity TBH.  MUSH and MUCK are as similar as, I dunno, Diku and Circle (but not as dissimilar as your standard MudOS).  I've codewizzed on a couple MUCKs and written a lot of obscenely complex systems from scratch.  Multi-User Forth is such a *calming* language to develop in.

I'd say that on MUSHes, code literacy among the general populace is widespread but not very deep...everyone knows a little, few people do much.  Usually very technically light.  And a lot of WoD MUSHes use a pretty simple drop-in chargen system and simple utilities for bookkeeping that work quite fine.  MUCKs on the other hand, many users are very clueless, but there's a ton of in-game programs to take advantage of all the time.

I guess by 'default database' you might mean a MUCK with the standard ws, wa, morph, tport, whereis, etc. programs.  But seriously, playing a MUCK that uses some weird tool instead of 'wa', is like logging into a unix system without 'cat'.
Yeah, they all use the default script database as... base... I truly find their command style to be annoying and I've hardcoded & softcoded on them all. I'd rather stick to a non MU* ... But of course, that's a programmer/player's opinion and it's not to say there are no decent MU*es out there.

I have helped program one years ago, most of the commands were actually hardcoded, which helped with the speed and the queuing, so it was alright. The MU*s have some annoying trappings on the programmer side, I mean, it's great if you're not doing anything too complex, but it's pretty much a trade off between performance and easiness. Not to mention the fact the entire database sits in the memory whether it's being used or not. Plus there's the shady command queuing that I don't really wanna go into, lets just say it can cause some annoyances.

I never done any pyscho coding myself, I never really worried about the queu ordering to much. But at my height of skill, I was only ever intermediate. I'm sure I code in the basic for any mush within a few hours. who, where, ooc code, voting, basic staff stuff.

I started teaching myself mushcode for on mu* tools for my admin responsibility. One that I staffed, we reviewed turned in rps and staff awarded based on a metric. After a bit, the metric was getting a little bit convoluted. I made myself a reward calculator, that did all the work. Gave out the right amount, set it on the player, @mail a basic review.

My first project was a version of flossie the sex sheep.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2009, 09:01:17 pm »

Flossie the WH--

*searches the web*

*closes browser* >_O
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2009, 09:16:11 pm »

What?
o.0
S'not that bad.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2009, 12:20:41 am »

I keep trying to play MUDs, but I never seem to find any good ones, and the better (RP wise) ones seem to have horrible interfaces and poor documentation.  :(
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2009, 01:18:06 am »

I keep trying to play MUDs, but I never seem to find any good ones, and the better (RP wise) ones seem to have horrible interfaces and poor documentation.  :(

From my experience of being a HeadWiz, a codemonkey and builder, and generic staff, more or less all levels of mgm. For Mu*s, is that documentation is hard. If not impossible. The games are organic, in a sense that its workings are always changing. I've never been on a mu* in my 8 or so years, that was *done*. There always something more add, or something to change so forth.

There also the issue, of what consider common knowledge, like +occ, +who(who) +where WHO, +staff, +p(pub so forth) are universal more or less. There exact functionality may be different from place to place, but more or less they work the same.

Each game, is a role playing game so there going to be always a series of familiar commands.

There also the fact that codewiz aren't exactly the most social of staff. They get direction from the Headwiz, but for the most part they're the only one that knows what working under the hood.

Its a combination from constantly changing, staying somewhat familiar, and poor communication.

+help is suppose to be, helpful. Its not. Just be polite, plead newb and see if there a patience player that willing to help you out. On some larger mushes there might be a staffer who sole job is newb helper, but those are uncommon.

As for the interfaces. I don't know, there user friendlyness, seems to about the same. The most convoluted UI I've seen was for a starwars mu*, one that had an okay from Luscas Ltd. Strange place. It never struck me as being any more difficult then any other text parser game.

Sorry to hear that, but from outside of tabletop rp, Mu*s in my experience will get some of the better roleplaying you will see. PbP, has lead to some quality rp though any system outside of freeform (shivers), never function well and move in my opinion, very slow, killing any tension or emotion in the scene.

Although I never had a good a LARP group. Either they were to overly involved or were just bad rp'ers. They exist, I've heard the stories never experience one though.

And because of this thread, and a boredom with others games I'm mu*ing again. Armegon doesn't get my creativity flowing so you won't see me there. But I applied to be generic staff at an up and coming cyperpunk place. I'm hoping to get one of my ideas tried out.

Played Affected Rooms slowly set themselves back together. I got this idea, from my stint of playing on high action martial arts anime type places, where city blocks getting blown up wasn't that uncommon.

The player 'plode the room, they can set the destruction level for the room within, it will change to a preset desc of destruction then it will get slowly repaired overtime.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:22:40 am by MrWiggles »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2009, 04:37:23 am »

Haha, my first background was about a psychopath elf who would cut himself to see him heal, and use it to learn how to heal others. He ran away from his tribe because he didn't want to fight, only wanted to heal, but was a warrior elf anyway. Died very quickly, lol. It's lame, but it got through.

Just don't troll with it and you should be fine. The imms are very loose with it. There's plenty of samples on the site too, no format to it. It's mostly just to help you be a part of the world.

Also, this is the best beginner's guide.

Actually, I find that true. But IMHO, some of the best games I've played, from ADOM beta to DF to the good RPI MUDs all have poor interfaces and documentation. Well worth it :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2009, 10:08:07 am »

The more time you spend making a game, the less time you have to make a documentation. =p

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »

Ah, the complexities of this world!
Lost in a sea of sand and stone, alone against the wolves of the alleys.

If you can't understand that, this city is freaking huge and I'm not sure where to go or do.

Yes, I have read the documentation.

I defie you Allanak!

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2009, 06:06:58 pm »

I disagree about DF having poor documentation. Once i found the wiki, everything was easy. I also spent a week reading the wiki before I actually played DF, as that's the sort of person I am.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2009, 07:02:04 pm »

Well, the wiki was maid by the community. I don't think Toady spends any time in there.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5