Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: MMORPGs that actually includes a bit of roleplay.  (Read 6360 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPGs that actually includes a bit of roleplay.
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 06:12:27 am »

I literally cried when he died though...

That's what I love about heavy RP MUDs. It's less of a 'video game' and more like a story that pulls you in. Hah, stopped playing most lighter games after I started getting into RPIs.

Oh yea. I was playing as Kyle Terry Morance every day for several hours for three years. (Approximately nine years IC.) I really grew attached to him. When he died he was on his way to being that old wise teacher you see in movie cliches. He helped saved the world 4 times, and principle savior once. He has an artificial right ulna, (the upper arm bone), his left hand wound missing several fingers, his right hand was chopped off, eaten the bones given back as a necklace.

He became the strongest human (not by much but just enough), one of his student became evil. Kyle was lost in his new found power, and killed one of his arch nemesis, and almost became corrupted by this power...

Kyle had to take on Rush, the second strongest human, who was becoming increasingly more psychotic. We were fighting over this ocean, our power aura were causing this huge world pool, and the blind bastard managed to stun me, and get the killing blow...

Great fight. Great rp. Rushs' player and by then were good friends. We were both fighting to win, but were just having fun with it, laughing and complementing each other. We were working together to make the fight as cinematic as possible to. You rarely gets scenes like that.

I may have missed it, but which game was that? Heh, I have interesting stories about my Armageddon MUD character, but seeing how there are a few players of the same game here, not going to mention it yet.

That was on Dragonball Z Chronicles. It was never huge, place. About 89 platers, with 40 or so dedicated ones. I started there within the first month that it opened.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 06:39:33 am »

You could try planeshift; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlaneShift

Apparently role playing is enforced to the point where if you want to do a npc quest you have to type: "Hello" and ask it for a quest.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 07:45:53 am »

DAMN IT.

Okay, okay. I had my chance.

I KNEW about it from years back, but since I say with force all the time that I don't play MMOs, I shouldn't even bother mentioning it.

And its true. And its grating. If you can't RP to the criteria of the games standards, they won't have anything to do with you.

THAT AND ITS AN MMORPG.

Do yourself a favor people, and just play MUDs. Hell, I might try playing that there Armageddon game. THAT looks fun and user friendly. PlaneShift is just a unfinished Grindfest where WITH a community of Role Players.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 09:37:44 am »

THAT AND ITS AN MMORPG.

A MMORPG. It starts with a consonant, and is pronounced "muh more pig uh," not "em em oh are pee gee."
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:41 am »

Actually, it's pronounced mumorpeger.

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 12:24:40 pm »

Meh. "Feb yoo ery."
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 12:31:07 pm »

Shadows of Isildur is a MUD set in Tolkien's world (operating with permission from the estate) that's similar to Armageddon in terms of roleplay enforcement and character creation. I haven't played it for years though - from what I've heard it's changed a whole lot, under completely new management, etc.

It was fun back then though, still might be, especially if you dig Middle Earth.
http://www.middle-earth.us/

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 03:14:14 pm »

It doesn't really matter which MMO or MU* you are taking part in.

Mostly RP is self generating.

What I mean is, if you stay IC, eventually you will attract others who want to RP. This is assuming you don't immigrate to a game with like minded friends.

The quality and style is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGELY dependent on where you are though.  MUSHes have a very different style of RPing from MUCKs have a very different style from several different types of MUDs.

The key, really, is to surround yourself by people who like the same RP style that you like.  Generally low-consequence and mostly player consent based, with little continuity?  MUCKs.  Playing your character to the freaking hilt and never letting anyone see the player behind the keyboard, even to the point of killing other characters?  Some hardcore MUDs.  Occasional light social RPing, accompanied by long forum posts, but no consequences at all?  Other, social MUDs, also MMOs.  Serious, realistic consequences RP that's often slightly consent-based but ultimately unpredictable and dangerous?  MUSHes.

If you want plotlines that aren't invented by your fellow players, but instead have some staff support, you want either a MUSH or some of the harder-core MUDs, not MUCKs or MMOs.  If letting your character die for the sake of a good story appeals, you want a MUSH, period.  If your character's story is the ultimate important thing to you personally, you want a MUCK or a social MUD, where nothing's really out of your control.  If you see roleplaying as potentially competitive, you want a hardcore MUD.

These are all pretty heavily enforced by the rules of the game.  For reference, you can probably classify hardcore MUDs as ones where your character can actually die permadeath, and social ones where you can't, regardless of PK...so all MMOs I've ever seen were social MUDs.

MUCKs, I've hardly ever seen a MUCK where the staff got involved in the plots running on-game, so it's impossible to enforce any continuity.  Which is great if you like to get into plots where you slay your first dragon (or 'slay' your first 'dragon') repeatedly with the same character, or decide that you didn't really like it when that old gray wizard turned your hair pink, so uh, I guess that didn't really happen, or you handwaved fixing it.  Great for personal control over your character's fate.  If it was meant to be permanent, you probably already agreed with the wizard OOC what would happen ahead of time.  Many people insist in some continuity within a given interpersonal relationship, IE that wizard might be upset if your hair wasn't pink next time he saw you, but the player wouldn't care if you turned it off otherwise.  Plots on MUCKs are frequently considered somewhat private because of this loose continuity, there's rarely real global stuff.  The lack of consequences also mean there's not much need to talk out-of-character before running plots, while also moving some OOC banter into the game itself.

MUSHes, I've NEVER seen a MUSH where the staff -wasn't- involved in the plots running on-game, and the players on MUSHes are pretty hardcore about continuity.  They'll talk, and be honestly very surprised if you take the result of some other plot totally unrelated to them and handwave what happened.  OOC and IC are enormously regimented.  If something horrible happens to your character like getting your arm chopped off, chances are everyone is going to want to hear the story about it, though, and are likely to console you OOC.  Some MUSHes are more consent-based than others, but in the majority of them, you -would- know ahead of time that you were going into a dangerous situation, but you would -not- know exactly what would happen.  MUSHes frequently make it possible to stay out of harm's way, but that usually means actually staying away from the interesting things going on.

Social MUDs, well, some of them have very elaborate social constructs but they are usually distinct from the actual gameplay.  So at the end of the day, not much is going to stand in the way between you and slaying twenty giant rats for their tails.  And there is pretty much never any real RP enforcement, you will always run into some people who just don't RP at all, and usually everyone has a different idea of how plots should be run--moreso than other places, I've found.  You have a good amount of control over your character's personal story, but it's often hard to get other players onboard because the population is so very diverse.

Hardcore MUDs can be brutal and vicious because the stakes are very high.  In some ways they are similar to MUSH atmospheres, except with no system of consent or safety; really, you are always at risk, which in some cases makes the victory sweeter.  Often these places have the biggest IC/OOC separation, because people are busy playing the game instead of, well, not playing the game.  Not much control over your character's personal story, but anything you can get, you've generally earned and will have to hold onto.  Can be the hardest of all the settings to let your imagination wander far afield...in other settings, if you want a strange character idea, people either won't argue with you, or (MUSHes) they'll work all the kinks out in character generation and expect you to play it fairly with social pressure.  In hardcore MUDs, expect people to be less credulous, and a concept of 'fair play' is much more important, so bending the rules for a certain character concept can be very hard.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »

I honestly hate MUSH/MUCK/MUX. I have programmed in one once before as well, but I still hate them to guts. There are some great RPI muds out there that do not use that codebase.

It's rare to see a MUX* that doesn't use a default database and all the same @set trappings.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 04:40:29 pm »

Default database?  Man, you're on the wrong places.

MUSHes are crummy to code in, though I have a soft spot because I learned on them.  Still most RP MUSHes don't have much emphasis on player building.  The best RP MUSH I know, a WW:tA based one, has been running for about fifteen years, 20-100 players at a time, and its database is consistently around 3000-4000 objects (tiny!).  Building unnecessary for non-builders.  Though I was on a previous Elfquest-based one with about three times the DB size for the same players, because your average player coded or cloned their own tent, ridable mount, occasional bedroom etc.

MUCKs are a totally different codebase altogether, there's almost no similarity TBH.  MUSH and MUCK are as similar as, I dunno, Diku and Circle (but not as dissimilar as your standard MudOS).  I've codewizzed on a couple MUCKs and written a lot of obscenely complex systems from scratch.  Multi-User Forth is such a *calming* language to develop in.

I'd say that on MUSHes, code literacy among the general populace is widespread but not very deep...everyone knows a little, few people do much.  Usually very technically light.  And a lot of WoD MUSHes use a pretty simple drop-in chargen system and simple utilities for bookkeeping that work quite fine.  MUCKs on the other hand, many users are very clueless, but there's a ton of in-game programs to take advantage of all the time.

I guess by 'default database' you might mean a MUCK with the standard ws, wa, morph, tport, whereis, etc. programs.  But seriously, playing a MUCK that uses some weird tool instead of 'wa', is like logging into a unix system without 'cat'.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 04:49:34 pm »

Myself, I prefer MUShes.

Something that always got me was how interpersonal conflict arose. It was just the unset of clashing of personalities. Always cool to watch. The tiny plots, when ran well, are great. However MUSHes can get broken for a bit, if a character that dones't conform with theme. Muds won't experience that.

I haven't played on to many muxes. The one that I logged the most time was TFOS Mux. Though my most of my characters were rejected because they were to dark. -_-

I had a character with the help of the head wizards, travel from one mush to the next. Three different shadowrun mushes. I went from FreeStare of Cali, to Japan to Seattle. Sorta got the hell of out dodge.

From FreeState to Japan, I got a huge debt from triple c mega corp, that I cant remember the name of. At the time, the yukaza liked me, and I sorta became a corp man in japan until I got tired of being not being my own man and made my way to seattle.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »

MUXes got a pretty bad rep in the late 90s, back when they were relatively new.  There wasn't much wrong with the codebase (aside from a few slightly-incompatible forks that cleaned up pretty fast), but mostly it was the Hot New Thing that every admin jumped on when they abandoned their old game.  The lure of color and new flags and stuff was enough to make a bunch of technical minded people start their own place (when they wouldn't have otherwise), so MUX became the bleeding edge where new cool code was developed that wouldn't work on old MUSHes, but not much actual roleplaying happened because the technical people were not very good headwizards.  A lot of very badly run places with borderline abusive admins came out of the early days of MUX, and the rep kinda stuck.

MUX and MUSH merged back into one version (MUSH 4.0 I think?), and old games are still in the process of migrating--slowly.

Otherwise MUX and MUSH have been more or less identical in terms of social characteristics, just with MUXes a tiny bit more liberal than MUSHes (because MUSHes were often around since time immemorial).

That shadowrun one sounds fun :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:06:53 pm by Sowelu »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »

Same character, three mushes. With more or less same continuity.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 05:33:54 pm »

That's seriously cool.  Are those MUSHes still around?

(Not that I have time to play, but that's really neat.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »

That's seriously cool.  Are those MUSHes still around?

(Not that I have time to play, but that's really neat.)

I would be shocked if the seattle one wasn't still about. I dont know about the other two.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5