Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: MMORPGs that actually includes a bit of roleplay.  (Read 6363 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPGs that actually includes a bit of roleplay.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:32:58 am »

I actually was intrigued by the description of Armageddon and just created a character. During creation though, I was put off by the fact that my character has to be approved. I just sort of pumped a random character out. Also, magic-users have to be approved?

I'll give the MUD one shot, and if my character is refused, then I won't bother further with the MUD.

On the topic of MUDs, there are other good ones out there. I used to play Towers of Jadri, but I have no idea what happened to it (I think it finally died). There is also 'The Inquisition', which also died, but was resurrected.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 06:37:03 am »

I actually was intrigued by the description of Armageddon and just created a character. During creation though, I was put off by the fact that my character has to be approved. I just sort of pumped a random character out. Also, magic-users have to be approved?

I'll give the MUD one shot, and if my character is refused, then I won't bother further with the MUD.

On the topic of MUDs, there are other good ones out there. I used to play Towers of Jadri, but I have no idea what happened to it (I think it finally died). There is also 'The Inquisition', which also died, but was resurrected.
Approving is a fairly easy process, mainly it's to make sure you don't make any major mistakes like describing clothing or actions on your character. For your first few characters they are likely to correct any minor mistakes rather than scrap the whole thing. Magic is restricted to players with karma along with a few other races/classes generally restricted things are because they are either game breaking (e.g. sorcerers, half-giants) if played twinkishly or otherwise hard to roleplay properly (e.g. Mantis and halflings) Karmas awarded by staff members if they see you playing well. Also my advice is to start in either Tuluk or Allanak, and the phrase "I'm new to town." along with some fairly terrible emoting will be almost universally understood as I'm a newbie please help me!

Other than that if you start in Allanak my advice is to join the Byn, all you'll need to do is set aside 300 sid buy some weapons and armour then hang around until you spot someone in a brown military aba. The Byn is almost a newbie boot camp and unless you get unlucky by the time your first character dies you'll be a whole lot more knowledgeable about the game.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 06:47:05 am »

Oh yea, you'll want to stick with Mu*s.

Yeah, perhaps that is the way to go, if you would like to RP in MMORPGs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 08:48:12 am »

Approving is a fairly easy process, mainly it's to make sure you don't make any major mistakes like describing clothing or actions on your character. For your first few characters they are likely to correct any minor mistakes rather than scrap the whole thing. Magic is restricted to players with karma along with a few other races/classes generally restricted things are because they are either game breaking (e.g. sorcerers, half-giants) if played twinkishly or otherwise hard to roleplay properly (e.g. Mantis and halflings) Karmas awarded by staff members if they see you playing well. Also my advice is to start in either Tuluk or Allanak, and the phrase "I'm new to town." along with some fairly terrible emoting will be almost universally understood as I'm a newbie please help me!

Other than that if you start in Allanak my advice is to join the Byn, all you'll need to do is set aside 300 sid buy some weapons and armour then hang around until you spot someone in a brown military aba. The Byn is almost a newbie boot camp and unless you get unlucky by the time your first character dies you'll be a whole lot more knowledgeable about the game.

This is all pretty much true.  Unless your character is really wack, they'll approve it.  I never had a character blocked, although my first character was modified because I said he looked alert, which wouldn't translate to a dead guy.

If you can't get the money, two great places to go are north and south of out Allanak.  Just walk out the north or south gate and go straight.  You'll know you're there when you get there.
Shoes...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 10:06:08 am »

Well, I did say it was quite hardcore :P Yeah, do what thatguyyaknow said. The Byn is an awesome clan for newbie warrior types. They teach you how to survive and get used to stuff and all.

Magic is extremely powerful in the game, though, so only experienced players are allowed to make magickers. Also, they tend to be feared and hated, so they'd end up killed or find it hard to get a job.. which is not fun for new players.

I literally cried when he died though...

That's what I love about heavy RP MUDs. It's less of a 'video game' and more like a story that pulls you in. Hah, stopped playing most lighter games after I started getting into RPIs.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 10:06:52 am »

North and south? I've never mucked around much outside the cities but I always went east or west, east to the salt flats or west to the obsidian fields.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 10:40:18 am »

The fun stuff is straight north and straight south.
Shoes...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 02:45:46 pm »

I used to play Cybersphere. That game was roleplay enforced. If you died you were dead (unless you had a clone and if  you had a clone you couldn't remember who killed you.

It was a futureristic post apoc MUD, but only seemed to have 15 players or so.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 03:35:48 pm »

That's what I love about heavy RP MUDs. It's less of a 'video game' and more like a story that pulls you in. Hah, stopped playing most lighter games after I started getting into RPIs.

Oh yea. I was playing as Kyle Terry Morance every day for several hours for three years. (Approximately nine years IC.) I really grew attached to him. When he died he was on his way to being that old wise teacher you see in movie cliches. He helped saved the world 4 times, and principle savior once. He has an artificial right ulna, (the upper arm bone), his left hand wound missing several fingers, his right hand was chopped off, eaten the bones given back as a necklace.

He became the strongest human (not by much but just enough), one of his student became evil. Kyle was lost in his new found power, and killed one of his arch nemesis, and almost became corrupted by this power...

Kyle had to take on Rush, the second strongest human, who was becoming increasingly more psychotic. We were fighting over this ocean, our power aura were causing this huge world pool, and the blind bastard managed to stun me, and get the killing blow...

Great fight. Great rp. Rushs' player and by then were good friends. We were both fighting to win, but were just having fun with it, laughing and complementing each other. We were working together to make the fight as cinematic as possible to. You rarely gets scenes like that.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 03:39:41 pm »

Other than Neverwinter Nights 1&2 MUDs ect:

Lord of the rings online

Landroval server (RP)

I will not say that everyone role-plays, but having played at least the trial of nearly every major mmo from Ultima Online on*, I can say that LOTRO still has the most RPers and active RP guilds of the subscription type.

*(WoW, WAR, EVE, SWG, AO, D&DO, AOC, UO and LOTRO)
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 03:41:28 pm »

Puzzle Pirates is full of roleplayers.

EVERYONE talks in character, and most people act in character.

You might think this is just because everyone likes talking like a pirate, and you'd be right.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 09:07:42 am »

Arr. 'Tis be fun ta be talkin' like 'dis on 'de seven seas.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2009, 03:22:05 pm »

Illarion, a German-based billingual MMO, is the only one I have found that REQUIRES constant roleplay. I used to play it all the time before getting hooked on Korean grindfests like Mabinogi and Wonderland.

Anyways, the link is here, and the RP is actually very high quality. Not only is there roleplay and events, but also they recently added quite a bit of new content.

Unsure of what though. I know that after they finished the mage system, they were going to add priests and druids, then eventually bards. Either way, there is plenty to work with.

However, you will need Java, patience, and possibly tolerance towards elitist "see you in tea" roleplayers from across the world.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 02:48:25 am »

It doesn't really matter which MMO or MU* you are taking part in.

Mostly RP is self generating.

What I mean is, if you stay IC, eventually you will attract others who want to RP. This is assuming you don't immigrate to a game with like minded friends.

I play Armageddon at present, I also play City Of Heroes (Role Play Congress member), WAR and LOTRO. I used to play on Grimmworld (Free UO shard) and I did play UO when it was big.

I rarely play on servers that are not RP enforced. Although the degree of enforcement tends to differ from game to game.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 04:24:10 am »

Oh yea. I was playing as Kyle Terry Morance every day for several hours for three years. (Approximately nine years IC.) I really grew attached to him. When he died he was on his way to being that old wise teacher you see in movie cliches. He helped saved the world 4 times, and principle savior once. He has an artificial right ulna, (the upper arm bone), his left hand wound missing several fingers, his right hand was chopped off, eaten the bones given back as a necklace.

He became the strongest human (not by much but just enough), one of his student became evil. Kyle was lost in his new found power, and killed one of his arch nemesis, and almost became corrupted by this power...

Kyle had to take on Rush, the second strongest human, who was becoming increasingly more psychotic. We were fighting over this ocean, our power aura were causing this huge world pool, and the blind bastard managed to stun me, and get the killing blow...

Great fight. Great rp. Rushs' player and by then were good friends. We were both fighting to win, but were just having fun with it, laughing and complementing each other. We were working together to make the fight as cinematic as possible to. You rarely gets scenes like that.

I may have missed it, but which game was that? Heh, I have interesting stories about my Armageddon MUD character, but seeing how there are a few players of the same game here, not going to mention it yet.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5