Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38

Author Topic: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 70627 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #480 on: July 24, 2009, 04:18:40 am »

I'll get it up within a day, sorry. I've been pretty busy working on a final class project.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 24, 2009, 04:26:52 am »

Yay! I can't wait. So far I've played a very old version, a new, slightly broken version, and a kind of old version all in one day! Time to play this right.  :D Also, "I'll get it up within a day," can be misinterpreted, haha!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 24, 2009, 05:57:53 am »

Have you tried just getting that character killed, in the mean time? That should delete the save automatically. LCS is pretty hardcore about that.

Antagonist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 24, 2009, 08:53:08 am »

Oh hey, source code.

I saw mention of the source a few times but I was honestly worried that the project had gone closed source after seeing the sourceforge site abandoned.

I cant promise I'll have time, and I'm more skilled in C# than C++, but do you accept diffs and is there a list somewhere of non-priority improvements/bugs that I can take a look at and wont stomp on anyone's toes?

I'm somewhat keen on making some non-ASCII GUI forms for some of the screens, but that depends heavily on how easy it would be to decouple the GUI from game logic.  Ambitious, but its incentive to improve my wxWidgets skills.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 24, 2009, 01:49:05 pm »

Decoupling most anything in the source was a chore last time I delved; doubt that's changed. The single best thing that could be done with the source would be to heavily refactor it - but that's a challenge several people have committed to only to be routed from the field (myself, alas, included).

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 24, 2009, 02:56:47 pm »

Have you tried just getting that character killed, in the mean time? That should delete the save automatically. LCS is pretty hardcore about that.

I did try quite a few times, actually. It just won't go away.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 24, 2009, 03:29:20 pm »

It seems your copy got hacked or something.Sentient programming?
i remember sometimes hackers do other types other than get in there and screw stuff up,your antivirus/spy software probably gone nuts or your PC has some problems.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:32:23 pm by Phantom »

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 24, 2009, 03:46:42 pm »

It seems your copy got hacked or something.Sentient programming?
i remember sometimes hackers do other types other than get in there and screw stuff up,your antivirus/spy software probably gone nuts or your PC has some problems.

I don't think it's anything that bad. It's just a broken download. I can't change anything in the whole download for some reason. I downloaded it three separate times and they all did this. Once the link is fixed I'll be able to play properly.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:14 pm »

I don't know just check your PC or if anything unusual happens when you download.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »

Oh!! I didn't realize he wasn't going to do it right away. Here's a clean version http://r0x0rk1tt3h.net/lcs_win32_3.19.4.zip

Although it literaly not being able to delete like that doesn't bode well for the functionailty of the game after you create your own. I'd suggest just starting a game, saving, reloading, and deleting the save...just to make sure it works properly, before you delve into a nineteen hour marathon :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 04:20:15 pm by Xavior »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2009, 04:34:19 pm »

When I do that it gives me another random liberal without the starting bit.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2009, 05:47:47 pm »

I did try quite a few times, actually. It just won't go away.

This might sound silly, but are you running the .exe directly out of the zip file? If you run directly out of the zip file it'll do exactly what you describe -- the game will run, but you won't have write access so the saves won't work right. I remember somebody having that problem a couple years back. You need to unzip the whole directory first before you can run the game properly.

Otherwise, I have updated the download to avoid having a save in there. If the problem persists, maybe you have some odd Vista permissions problems?

When I do that it gives me another random liberal without the starting bit.

It sounds like this isn't the same thing as what rawr359 is having. Could you describe the issues you're facing? Is it just that you don't go into character creation? Does this happen when you delete the save.dat file before starting the game?

Oh hey, source code.

I saw mention of the source a few times but I was honestly worried that the project had gone closed source after seeing the sourceforge site abandoned.

I cant promise I'll have time, and I'm more skilled in C# than C++, but do you accept diffs and is there a list somewhere of non-priority improvements/bugs that I can take a look at and wont stomp on anyone's toes?

I'm somewhat keen on making some non-ASCII GUI forms for some of the screens, but that depends heavily on how easy it would be to decouple the GUI from game logic.  Ambitious, but its incentive to improve my wxWidgets skills.

One aspect of the Sourceforge site has stayed active, actually, and that's the Subversion repository. Diffs aren't preferred since that's more work for me, having to take a moment to merge every time you change something, but I can give you write access to the SVN repository if you give me a Sourceforge username, and that'll do just as well for you.

Primary development is actually on a branch because I'm such a lazy bum about maintaining the repository. You can check out the source code at any time (without needing a password) here:

http://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lcsgame/branches/31104branch/

You should only need to provide your Sourceforge user info if you want to commit.

The latest revision is still unstable as a number of changes aren't yet smoothly integrated, but you should be able to check the revision history for the last numbered release to find the last stable build. Don't worry much about stepping on toes; nobody is actively updating right this moment anyway. I used to have a more organized bug and feature list, but it's kind of fallen into disrepair and age. Just one possibility if you're looking for ideas: Let creatures catch fire if hit by molotovs or flamethrowers. Or just whatever you like.

As far as the interface is concerned, good luck -- the interface is very tightly coupled with the logic, and strewn throughout the code. Like E. Albright, I have also surrendered to the might of the existing code base in my early, noble attempts to refractor and make that sort of thing easier.

Antagonist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2009, 06:31:52 pm »

Oh hey, source code.

... snip

One aspect of the Sourceforge site has stayed active, actually, and that's the Subversion repository. Diffs aren't preferred since that's more work for me, having to take a moment to merge every time you change something, but I can give you write access to the SVN repository if you give me a Sourceforge username, and that'll do just as well for you.

Primary development is actually on a branch because I'm such a lazy bum about maintaining the repository. You can check out the source code at any time (without needing a password) here:

http://lcsgame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/lcsgame/branches/31104branch/

Didn't take me long to figure that out on my own, been playing around looking at the code today and I have only one comment:

The code... is a giant friggin switch statement.

You should only need to provide your Sourceforge user info if you want to commit.

The latest revision is still unstable as a number of changes aren't yet smoothly integrated, but you should be able to check the revision history for the last numbered release to find the last stable build. Don't worry much about stepping on toes; nobody is actively updating right this moment anyway. I used to have a more organized bug and feature list, but it's kind of fallen into disrepair and age. Just one possibility if you're looking for ideas: Let creatures catch fire if hit by molotovs or flamethrowers. Or just whatever you like.

As far as the interface is concerned, good luck -- the interface is very tightly coupled with the logic, and strewn throughout the code. Like E. Albright, I have also surrendered to the might of the existing code base in my early, noble attempts to refractor and make that sort of thing easier.

Game seems laid out reasonably straightforward, modifications shouldn't be hard.  Additions is hell.
I'm gonna have to consider myself to be in a refactor camp.  Adding a new civilian to the game requires adding code to about half a dozen places in the program, and even then you have to expect undefined behavior in the weirdest places.  Alright, for now I'm dropping an interface addition idea, I'm not crazy (holy crap, strings EVERYWHERE), porting is more likely than refactoring if I want that, but for modability and expansion reasons I'm going to suggest the following refactoring:

Get rid... of some of those enums.

Information should be stored in classes or structs tho, not in massive switch statements containing every object defined in existance.  Who knows, maybe even move some of this info to the raws.  I'm sure the modding community would like that.

Easier said than done, I know, I've seen now the size of the codebase... I'm gonna take a look at it tho, hopeless case or no...

As for setting people on fire with molotovs?  The current 'burn damage' code only evaluates if you end your 'turn' in a peak or ending fire square.  I assume you mean adding something like a burn flag on top of this to keep doing damage over multiple turns?  I'll take a look at it.

By the way, sourceforge account name is stagnation.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2009, 06:35:37 pm »

The code... is a giant friggin switch statement.

Is that..um..bad?

I'm planning on actually uploading some stuff soon, once I finish compiling and fixing all the errors within the code. The Economy, the National Debt, and some flavor changes. I'll code in the "America defaults" decrees later on though.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2009, 06:55:27 pm »

Oh!! I didn't realize he wasn't going to do it right away. Here's a clean version http://r0x0rk1tt3h.net/lcs_win32_3.19.4.zip

Although it literaly not being able to delete like that doesn't bode well for the functionailty of the game after you create your own. I'd suggest just starting a game, saving, reloading, and deleting the save...just to make sure it works properly, before you delve into a nineteen hour marathon :D

Alright, this one works. Mostly. It doesn't save though, but that's not a big deal for me. I just play this kind of randomly. I don't try to win.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38