Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38

Author Topic: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 70600 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.4 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »

VIEW: DRUGS+

STUDENT CONVINCED!

[random_first_and_last_name], a college student from [city] has been found guilty after a long, controversial trial. [last_name] was arrested for possession of a small amount of marijuana. The district attorney filed a criminal case which was speedily brought to the court. The accused couldn't afford a lawyer, so he was given a free legal assistance by the state.

Unfortunately for [him/her], the jury found him guilty despite his defendant's efforts. He was sentenced to [pick_A]. This didn't seem to worry most of the jurors. As one of them said, "Drugs are drugs. And [pick_B]".

A: (depending from drug laws)
L+: compulsory counseling
L: a fine and compulsory counseling
M: two years in prison
C: five years in prison
C+: fifteen years in prison

B:
everyone knows those smart brats are up to no good.
it should have been death sentence.
back in Alabama we used to shoot at junkies.

Thanks for writing the articles, but perhaps the DRUGS+ article would draw more sympathy if the pot user was a famous actor, who was also fired for taking the drugs.  Kinda like the "Fantasy Kid's book banned" article currently implemented.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2009, 11:49:48 pm »

I think it would be the other way around. Kids are kids and can be expected to behave immaturely like kids. Actors are adults, and are expected to have a little bit higher standard.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #347 on: May 27, 2009, 12:15:06 am »

I don't understand the college student article. College students getting arrested or convicted of possessing marijuana is often not even enough to make the local news, let alone create a national controversy.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 27, 2009, 12:27:02 am »

I think it was more that the college student was unable to afford a lawyer to defend himself. That can lead to sympathy to the poor college student, hence the national controversy. If the college student was rich to afford a sleeper lawyer at $100, it wouldn't make the news.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 27, 2009, 02:01:13 am »

Naw, people use public defenders all the time if they can't afford one of their own. That's what they're there for. That an attorney was provided to him is the system working as expected, not something newsworthy.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:09 am »

It was supposed to be an article about a bright, young student whose life was ruined by the government. The fact that he is only a student, is poor and was given a sentence which don't fit the crime should add up.  It seems I should have made this more hardcore.

I don't live in USA, so I have a question: what is the possible penalty for smoking pot?

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 27, 2009, 04:49:51 am »

It was supposed to be an article about a bright, young student whose life was ruined by the government. The fact that he is only a student, is poor and was given a sentence which don't fit the crime should add up.  It seems I should have made this more hardcore.

I don't live in USA, so I have a question: what is the possible penalty for smoking pot?

Maybe you could rewrite the article to have the jury convict him as a drug dealer and sentenced to life imprisonment, despite the student only possessing a tiny amount, obviously intended for personal use. Make note of how he was a great student, was known throughout his community as a terrific young person, did lots of volunteer work, had plans to become a doctor and join the fight against cancer, etc. Quote the judge as saying something along the lines of: "I know my conviction was unfair, but if I don't start making some examples out of people, eventually smoking drugs will become socially acceptable. If I have to destroy a person's future to do that, well, that's just God's will at work." The judge should come across as being completely unjustified, using the courts to futher his own agenda.

That's just my two cents, however.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2009, 06:16:27 am »

That fits the LCS humor perfectly. Just sprinkle more god on top of it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:07 am »

Penalties in the US for simply having marijuana depend on how much you have, and where in the country you are.

For example, in California, you cannot be arrested for possessing 25 grams of marijuana (and will only be fined $100), but 50 grams is up to 6 months in jail and a $500 fine.

In Oregon, where I'm from, 25 grams is worth a fine of $500 to $1000 and no jail time, but 50 grams could earn you 10 years in prison and up to a $100,000 fine.

In Washington, where I am now, 25 grams is worth one to ninty days in jail, and a $250 to $500 fine, while 50 grams is up to 5 years in prison and $10,000.

In Arizona, any amount, even a very small amount, will get you six months to a year and a half in jail, and a fine from $750 to $150,000, but the sentence can be suspended in exchange for probation and drug treatment if you don't have a prior record of drug convictions.

The M to C+ sentences are fairly extreme, given a small amount for personal use, but the L and L+ are normal to lax by current standards. Of course, since L currently lists marijuana as legal in the game, that makes sense, but it's still not likely to cause a scandal.

One problem with using the college student example is that those who already are holding Conservative views on the drugs issue aren't likely to look kindly on the college student -- they'll easily see him or her as having destroyed their own life, rather than blaming the government. So more extreme may be necessary here.

Looking to Capital Fish's suggestions, if he was convicted of growing or selling, that would dramatically increase the weight on him, and the sentencing could easily get out of proportion, even for a small amount. If he was struggling with cancer himself, and had been growing marijuana for personal use for pain and nausea relief, that would also make the effective amounts he was convicted of increase radically. For example, if he had five plants in his apartment, dormroom, or parents' basement, he could potentially be charged treated as a dealer in possession of over five hundred grams of marijuana and sentenced to five or ten years in prison.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 27, 2009, 06:46:08 am »

All right, so let's try this again.

LIFE DESTROYED

It is a shameful day for all the USA. [random_name], a bright, young college student from [city] was found guilty and given a [pick_A] for... owniing pot.

[last_name] was arrested with a small amount of marihuana when partying with friends. [He/she] claimed he only wanted to try it. Despite this fact, the district attorney decided to file this case as "illegal substance trafficking" [pick_D], which let the court to treat him as a drug dealer. Despite the federal appointed lawyer's efforts, the jury found the hapless student guilty.

The district attorney, [random_name], doesn't find it unjust. "I don't know why people think it's too harsh. He WAS a drug dealer! Everybody know that's how junkies earn money! And I CAN'T let this country end like Sodom and Gomorrah! Do you hear me, junkies!? GOD WILL NEVER ALLOW THIS!". Our reporter was forced to flee his office when [last_name] broke a chair and started to make a cross from it.

"It's outrageous!", says mother of the accused, "[first_name] is not a criminal! [He/she] worked very hard. He wanted to [pick_B]. I can't believe those [pick_C] decided to destroy his life because of some weed!"

C, C+: life sentence
L+, L, M: extraordinarily long sentence

B:
be a famous doctor and invent a cure for cancer
help poor people with his work
create a Theory of Quantum Gravity
be the first man on Mars

C: (depending from free speech laws):
L+: motherfucking idiots
L: mother***** idiots
M, C: ***********
C+ [well meaning, if somewhat too harsh, people]

D: (depending from drug laws)
L+: (the sample was slightly polluted with harmful chemicals)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 27, 2009, 08:56:46 am »

I dont think that should appear if the laws L or L+, as in either one you would not get a "extraordinarily long sentence." And you could always put diffrent punishments for those, but then the rest of the newspaper doesnt make sense.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #356 on: May 27, 2009, 07:21:24 pm »

All right, so let's try this again.

LIFE DESTROYED

It is a shameful day for all the USA. [random_name], a bright, young college student from [city] was found guilty and given a [pick_A] for... owniing pot.

[last_name] was arrested with a small amount of marihuana when partying with friends. [He/she] claimed he only wanted to try it. Despite this fact, the district attorney decided to file this case as "illegal substance trafficking" [pick_D], which let the court to treat him as a drug dealer. Despite the federal appointed lawyer's efforts, the jury found the hapless student guilty.

The district attorney, [random_name], doesn't find it unjust. "I don't know why people think it's too harsh. He WAS a drug dealer! Everybody know that's how junkies earn money! And I CAN'T let this country end like Sodom and Gomorrah! Do you hear me, junkies!? GOD WILL NEVER ALLOW THIS!". Our reporter was forced to flee his office when [last_name] broke a chair and started to make a cross from it.

"It's outrageous!", says mother of the accused, "[first_name] is not a criminal! [He/she] worked very hard. He wanted to [pick_B]. I can't believe those [pick_C] decided to destroy his life because of some weed!"

C, C+: life sentence
L+, L, M: extraordinarily long sentence

B:
be a famous doctor and invent a cure for cancer
help poor people with his work
create a Theory of Quantum Gravity
be the first man on Mars

C: (depending from free speech laws):
L+: motherfucking idiots
L: mother***** idiots
M, C: ***********
C+ [well meaning, if somewhat too harsh, people]

D: (depending from drug laws)
L+: (the sample was slightly polluted with harmful chemicals)
Heh, I'll adjust that a bit, but yeah, looks good!
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30:00 pm »

Here's what I would do it:

DRUGS CURE CANCER

Today, the [Random Name] Insitute of Cancer Research has released a report proving once and for all that illegal drug [random drug] is known to cure [organ] cancer. "This is an incredibly shocking discovery!" says [random name], head of the research team, who pointed out that the illegal drug in question has no negative side-effects whatsoever. "We have heard so many bad things about illegal drugs, but if this illegal drug can cure cancer, it looks like we have no choice but to allow people with cancer to take it, so as to cure cancer."

Conservatives condemned the study. A famous AM Radio Personality was quoted as saying "[Random Phrase]."

Random Phrase:
*It does not matter if it can cure cancer. Illegal drugs are illegal, and nobody should use them.
*This study was conducted by Elite Liberals seeking to promote an agenda of drug legalization through faulty science.
*Cancer isn't all that bad.

Obivously, this story doesn't display in L+ society. The Drugs- story does not display during L+ society too, so I need to think of a negative Drugs- story that would display during L+ society...

EDIT: In retrospect, this story will likely be rejected. Gantolandon's story seems to fit Johnatan S. Fox's views.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 07:34:19 pm by Servant Corps »

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #358 on: May 27, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »

Here's what I would do it:

DRUGS CURE CANCER

Today, the [Random Name] Insitute of Cancer Research has released a report proving once and for all that illegal drug [random drug] is known to cure [organ] cancer. "This is an incredibly shocking discovery!" says [random name], head of the research team, who pointed out that the illegal drug in question has no negative side-effects whatsoever. "We have heard so many bad things about illegal drugs, but if this illegal drug can cure cancer, it looks like we have no choice but to allow people with cancer to take it, so as to cure cancer."

Conservatives condemned the study. A famous AM Radio Personality was quoted as saying "[Random Phrase]."

Random Phrase:
*It does not matter if it can cure cancer. Illegal drugs are illegal, and nobody should use them.
*This study was conducted by Elite Liberals seeking to promote an agenda of drug legalization through faulty science.
*Cancer isn't all that bad.

Obivously, this story doesn't display in L+ society. The Drugs- story does not display during L+ society too, so I need to think of a negative Drugs- story that would display during L+ society...

EDIT: In retrospect, this story will likely be rejected. Gantolandon's story seems to fit Johnatan S. Fox's views.
Eh, maybe I could add a few things from yours into his for the final product.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2009, 07:36:18 pm »

I don't really care that much. I do care of hopefully completing the stuff that I already plan on completing in the first place...
* Servant Corps shrugs.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 38