Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 70516 times)

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
Re: 3.19.4 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2009, 06:46:01 am »

Also, the polls screen has been giving me blank issues in the "The people are most concerned about" spot.
That's normal, though I think that it should be changed to `none'.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2009, 07:12:01 am »

Actually, there's a special line for 'none' already in the game; blank issues there indicates a problem (which I'll have fixed for next release). To see it the existing 'none' special text, just start a new game and immediately check the polls before anything happens.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:46 am »

Actually, there's a special line for 'none' already in the game; blank issues there indicates a problem (which I'll have fixed for next release). To see it the existing 'none' special text, just start a new game and immediately check the polls before anything happens.

So, uh... any feedback on the political violence articles? Right direction? Wrong one? Sorry for being so prying, I'm just trying to gauge whether I should continue on or not. I'm not looking for acknowledgement and I can definitely take a rejection!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2009, 08:33:42 am »

Sorry, been a bit overwhelmed by the large amount of interest and posting over the last couple days. I actually have already implemented your suggested news articles. I had to play with the titles a bit -- I should have mentioned that headlines can't be longer than thirteen letters, including spaces.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 13, 2009, 08:49:04 am »

Sorry, been a bit overwhelmed by the large amount of interest and posting over the last couple days. I actually have already implemented your suggested news articles. I had to play with the titles a bit -- I should have mentioned that headlines can't be longer than thirteen letters, including spaces.

Good riddance with my titles; they were just placeholders-without-an-alternative, anyway.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll get to work right away.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:22 am »

Aargh, I just realized that both of my articles contain two very annoying word repetitions!

First article:

'...special forces forcefully ended...'

That's just fucking awful. The whole sentence should probably be changed to 'Nine people were killed today as special forces brought the three-day hostage crisis at the (large building), instigated by members of the (minor terrorist group), to a bloody end.'

Second article:

'...local police illegally confiscated much of (his/her) stock for 'unamerican content'. Attempts to take the matter to the legal arena failed...'

That shouldn't have happened, either. 'Illegally' should be changed into 'unlawfully'.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:27 am »

Okay, those are easily changed.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 13, 2009, 09:38:05 am »

For the pro-violence news story, you can call it "Taking Action"

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #218 on: May 13, 2009, 10:11:52 am »

Limbs lost in combat seem to grow back upon healing. Or at least the old "One Arm" tags in the character screen are gone.
I noticed that too... I wanted a paraplegic. :(
Speaking of which, it would be cool if you could protest by shooting/cutting/etc. one's own limbs off.
Also, maybe if you're charged with terrorism you, depending on the interrogation position of the country, get sent off to a Guantanamo-like place.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:36:59 am by LiteralKa »

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 13, 2009, 10:31:15 am »

Limbs lost in combat seem to grow back upon healing. Or at least the old "One Arm" tags in the character screen are gone.
I noticed that too... I wanted a paraplegic. :(
Speaking of which, it would be cool if you could protest by shooting/cutting/etc. one's own limbs off.

Limbs should obviously not grow back, but there could be a "dentist's office" location that would allow replacement of lost teeth at a high price. (Perhaps that price could be reduced or eliminated if a 'medicare' issue is ever implemented)

Edit: On a completely unrelated note, maybe illegal immigrants shouldn't automatically be deported even if the country is merely Liberal instead of Elite Liberal. Many European nations don't instantly shove you over the border even though they still have quite a way to go in terms of integration of foreigners.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:34:25 am by Gimmick Account »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 13, 2009, 10:52:26 am »

Liberal immigration might have some sort of extensive guest worker program akin to a less liberal version of the Eurozone's free movement policy.  So illegal immigrants would be replaced by guest workers.  They could still be deported permanently, but would get a trial first.

Another thought: maybe "sweatshop workers" should be renamed "migrant workers" because that term could apply to workers across a broad spectrum of C+ to L+ workers rights and immigration laws.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:31 am »

For the record, mainiac's ideas in his last post get a strong nod of approval from me.

Here are the articles, things went quicker than I had anticipated! The second one is a tad short, though; I tried increasing its length, but everything I added felt tacked on.

MILITARY ARTICLES

CONSERVATIVE

VICTORY (I wish there had been enough room for 'Mission Accomplished'. Alas!)

(random city) - Speaking from the aircraft carrier (carrier) in front of a banner displaying the message "Let Freedom Ring! US of A is #1!", President (current president) proclaimed the end of major combat operations in (foreign country) today. He was quoted as saying "Just as our forefathers took the greatest sacrifices upon them to achieve victory against Nazi Germany, we have defeated the evil regime oppressing the people of (foreign country), bringing freedom and peace to them forever." The President later suggested that the brief peacekeeping effort would require a slight adjustment in the defense budget and the active troop levels, so as not to negatively affect other U.S. commitments around the globe.

(carriers)

USS Abraham Lincoln
USS Dwight D. Eisenhower
USS Ronald Reagan
USS Theodore Roosevelt

(foreign countries)

Afghanistan
Iran
Iraq
Venezuela
France

LIBERAL

QUAGMIRE

(random city) - Yesterday's devastating suicide bombing of an American check point sends the death toll of the (foreign country) operation above the psychologically important mark of (high number). Though the White House has denied its significance, stating that "[it's] just another number, emphasized only by the usual assortment of radical leftists and die-hard terrorist supporters.", experts say that the ever-increasing body count without any discernible hope for improvement is symbolic of the ill-organized state of our military as a whole.

(foreign countries are the same as for the conservative issue)

(high numbers)

etc.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 13, 2009, 11:56:10 am »

I like victory, but wouldn't a quagmire make support for funding the military go higher, not lower?  People might not like the quagmire, but they want the troops to be well equipped.  The Pentagon used the recent conflict in Iraq to get all sorts of projects funded that were far worse then usual and had nothing to do with peacekeeping.  Here's an alternative:

LIBERAL
Massacre

(random city) - Waves of riots rocked the capital of (foreign country) today as evidence came to light of a cold blooded civilian killing by U.S. military personnel.  For weeks, Pentagon spokespeople have dismissed rumors of attacks on civilians as "America hating lunacy dreamt up by radical leftists and die-hard terrorists supporters."  However blood chilling video footage emerged today showing the U.S. military unleashing an indiscriminate (attack) against a (location) in rural (foreign country).  Prior to the bombing, a voice was heard off screen saying (quote)

locations
village
refuge camp
wedding
funeral
marketplace

attacks
carpet bombing
artillery saturation
unrelenting barrage of fire
cruise missile strike
napalm inferno

quotes
"Destroy a village to save a village."
"Kill 'em all, Jebus will sort out the terrorists an' good 'uns."
"Civilians look just like terrorists, boy.  Die the same too."
"Time these punks learned not to fuck with the USA!"
"I love the smell of collateral damage in the morning."
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 13, 2009, 04:00:30 pm »

A little bit of site interface weirdness going on. Here's a screenshot:

This is not a signature.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #224 on: May 13, 2009, 04:30:53 pm »

A little bit of site interface weirdness going on. Here's a screenshot:

If you're talking about the bunched up/overlapping/overflowing words, yeah I have that problem too, with the following.
  • Corporate Manager
  • Radio Personality
  • Construction Worker
  • Highschool Dropout
  • Police Negotiator
  • Fast Food Worker
  • Fashion Designer
  • Garbage Collector
  • BUGS
  • When I win the game, I can't do anything, no buttons work!
  • When you alienate everybody, you can talk to them an infinite amount of times until a speech success, etc.
  • In the full character view, weapons and armor can overlap skills.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 05:26:50 pm by LiteralKa »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38