Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38

Author Topic: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 70471 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.4 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »

Mainiac says:
There are still people in this country who think we should return to the gold standard!

That *is* disturbing!  What can I do?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »

Does anyone feel like 3.19.4 hipppies are getting pretty godlike starting skills? I don't remember them being this powerful before, possibly because I didn't recruit very many.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:10 pm »

This is a part of the arch conservative agenda.  Therefore no self respecting liberal should support it.  If the LCS mass printed dollars, they would be supporting this conservative notion.

Orrrrrr... they're encouraging inflation to weaken the economic stranglehold the corporations, particularly lending corporations, enjoy over the People, and to generally disrupt the corporatist system. A strong regulated economy will be instituted once the Man is brought down, but until then a monkey wrench in the economic gears is a means to that end. It's just like Amersand said; this is no different than gun ownership and vigilantism. The LCS ultimately wants to eliminate such things, but until a gov't/economy they trust is in place, they shan't refrain from using them to advance their agenda.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2009, 03:45:28 pm »

Does anyone feel like 3.19.4 hipppies are getting pretty godlike starting skills? I don't remember them being this powerful before, possibly because I didn't recruit very many.
Define `godlike'.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »

They have high heart and usually an inordinate amount of weapon proficiencies.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2009, 03:51:46 pm »

Especially considering they're hippies.  How many hippies have you met with shotgun proficiency?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2009, 03:54:23 pm »

Especially considering they're hippies.  How many hippies have you met with shotgun proficiency?

Nope, my hippies suck. :(

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2009, 03:56:00 pm »

Orrrrrr... they're encouraging inflation to weaken the economic stranglehold the corporations, particularly lending corporations, enjoy over the People, and to generally disrupt the corporatist system. A strong regulated economy will be instituted once the Man is brought down, but until then a monkey wrench in the economic gears is a means to that end. It's just like Amersand said; this is no different than gun ownership and vigilantism. The LCS ultimately wants to eliminate such things, but until a gov't/economy they trust is in place, they shan't refrain from using them to advance their agenda.

Not all chaos is liberal.  Bombing an abortion clinic for example is very chaos inducing.  It's also arch-conservative.

The counterfeit scheme would attack on the validity of fiat currency, having currency without gold backing it.  Fiat currency is a very liberal notion.  The guys who oppose it are conservative lunatics clinging to their guns and religion.  The guys who support it are liberal elitists sipping Starbucks coffee in their ivory towers. 

To offer another analogy: It would be like attacking social security.  If the attacks succeeded, the loss of social security would be a massive rollback of the liberal agenda!  Yes, people would be pissed off.  But that anger doesn't change the fact that it is a conservative change.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2009, 04:11:55 pm »

Meh. I think I may have stumbled on a strange bug. It seems in the early game I get a lot of Arch-Conservatives elected to the house and senate. Even when they absolutely dominate both, very frequently they will both vote to pass liberal bills and refuse to pass conservative bills. of course, the President Vetos them all.

Then when the opposite bills come up, they vote to pass them. It just seems strange they'd flip their positions so gleefully. And then when I start getting more L and L+ congresspeople, they start voting conservatively. Are they doing it because they know what won't pass? Or are they just easily influenced by public opinion?
!!&!!

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »

Meh. I think I may have stumbled on a strange bug. It seems in the early game I get a lot of Arch-Conservatives elected to the house and senate. Even when they absolutely dominate both, very frequently they will both vote to pass liberal bills and refuse to pass conservative bills. of course, the President Vetos them all.

Then when the opposite bills come up, they vote to pass them. It just seems strange they'd flip their positions so gleefully. And then when I start getting more L and L+ congresspeople, they start voting conservatively. Are they doing it because they know what won't pass? Or are they just easily influenced by public opinion?
I'm getting that bug too, but it's the LIBERAL President vetoing LIBERAL bills!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:43:25 pm by LiteralKa »

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2009, 04:45:15 pm »

7 Street Sense / 4 First Aid / 3 Music / 2  Knife / 1 Tailor, teach, write, cook
5 Science / 4 Knife / 3 Throwing / 2 Music / 1 Shotgun, cooking, art

These hippies aren't retiree or agent powerful, but they do seem overpowered considering they're the easiest characters to recruit. I'm getting hippies that are more proficient than scientists at science, prostitutes at street sense, and a higher top weapon skill than gang members. These might just be a series of bad spikes in the RNG, but capping single skill drops at X makes some sense.

Godlike was a poor word choice.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2009, 04:48:09 pm »

Could we get some more documentation, and maybe more options for init.txt?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07:47 pm »

Not all chaos is liberal.  Bombing an abortion clinic for example is very chaos inducing.  It's also arch-conservative.

Apples and oranges. The point is the end, not the means. Blowing up an abortion clinic isn't done to induce chaos, it's to attack the structural support for legal abortion.

The counterfeit scheme would attack on the validity of fiat currency, having currency without gold backing it.  Fiat currency is a very liberal notion.  The guys who oppose it are conservative lunatics clinging to their guns and religion.  The guys who support it are liberal elitists sipping Starbucks coffee in their ivory towers.

I thought about this some more, and I'd concede that counterfeiting would be an unproductive activity. However, your reasoning as to why is entirely wrong, for the same reasons mine is. The problem with counterfeiting is that it would be most strongly visible in the cash economy - if everyone was like the latte sipping liberal elites with their debit cards, counterfeiting paper currency would be nigh meaningless. The arch-conservative reaction to widespread counterfeiting wouldn't be the militia-PMD fantasy of a return to the gold standard (with its attendant coin shaving alloying, and flat-out illicit minting); that's bulky and inconvenient, plus it only makes counterfeiting more difficult rather than impossible. The corporatist reaction would be the militia-PMD nightmare of universal electronic currency (which would be vulnerable to hacking, but again that raises the bar for "counterfeiters").

The major problem with counterfeiting is that it would indeed undermine the existing conservative economic order, but it would be diluting the currency circulating in the cash economy moreso than in banks and suchlike. Measures to combat it would weed out and eliminate illicit currency held (in good faith or bad) by the lower rungs of society while generally leaving the wealth and debt owned by the wealthy and corporations intact. So I'd say counterfeiting shouldn't be available as a form of activism... but I could certainly see it as a form of illegal fundraising.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2009, 05:16:19 pm »

I think you're both ignoring the bigger point that counterfeiting money for profit and protest would be a fun game mechanic.  What else in LCS is supposed to adhere to realistic philosophy?

But I suppose this discussion needs it's own thread.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2009, 05:25:24 pm »

Could we get some more documentation, and maybe more options for init.txt?
In this dark time, the init crime squad is born...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 38