Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38

Author Topic: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 70451 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.4 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2009, 05:52:00 pm »

The newspapers break when using Wine, sometimes a problem, because I occasionally can't read the newspaper!

Linux and LCS never really got along, often times outright refusing to deface the american flag, but no need to worry. No one reads newspapers anymore.

bandaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »

Not sure if it is working as intended, but I maxed out my persuasion to 13 within 10 days of starting the game by going to the crackhouse and casually chatting 30 or so crackheads/prostitutes etc.  Seems a little fast to me.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2009, 06:32:07 pm »

Its possible to press enter and skip certain options when you shouldn't be able to.  For example, the "Safehouse, Trouble, or Both" option, as well as the list of stealable cars.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2009, 06:41:59 pm »

The newspapers break when using Wine, sometimes a problem, because I occasionally can't read the newspaper!

Linux and LCS never really got along, often times outright refusing to deface the american flag, but no need to worry. No one reads newspapers anymore.
Hence why I use Wine, and not the Linux version. Also, the flags burn fine with Wine.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.2 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2009, 10:37:35 pm »

I didn't know anyone knew that you can take over crack houses!  ;D

It isn't obivous. The only way you could find it out if you look at the code, but I thought it was general knowledge at the time, so I didn't mention it. The fact that Crack Houses come with a lot of heat though make them rather unappealing...

I'm SO gonna convert the Crack Houses to the LCS!  We need more safehouses!  Can they be upgraded?  Any other secret safehouses?  Information should be shared Liberally!

Have you taken over the CCS Safehouse? See if you can upgrade that. The code for gaining the Crack House Safehouse is very similar to gaining the CCS Safehouse, so if you can upgrade the CCS Safehouse, you can upgrade the Crack House.

And Johnatan, you still want newspaper articles for the political violence issue?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2009, 10:53:35 pm »

Found a bug, but it's not serious. If a sleeper agent delivers something to a safe house or the homeless shelter immediately after a newspaper headline posting, the text will look like text on a newspaper. I'll try to grab a screenshot next time it pops up
!!&!!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.2 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2009, 11:15:25 pm »

It isn't obivous. The only way you could find it out if you look at the code, but I thought it was general knowledge at the time, so I didn't mention it. The fact that Crack Houses come with a lot of heat though make them rather unappealing...

I'm SO gonna convert the Crack Houses to the LCS!  We need more safehouses!  Can they be upgraded?  Any other secret safehouses?  Information should be shared Liberally!

Have you taken over the CCS Safehouse? See if you can upgrade that. The code for gaining the Crack House Safehouse is very similar to gaining the CCS Safehouse, so if you can upgrade the CCS Safehouse, you can upgrade the Crack House.

And Johnatan, you still want newspaper articles for the political violence issue?

Wait, you've never taken over the CCS Safehouses?  Why, fighting the CCS is one of my greatest joys!

On to more serious issues, the CCS Safehouses can't be upgrades, so I'd imagine the Crack Houses can't be upgraded.  I figured as much.  Wonder if the Abandoned buildings which start as LCS Safehouses can be upgraded if they get captured by the CCS (thus become Enemy Safehouses), then get recaptured by the LCS?  It should be like that (and I seem to recall doing so), but I'll add it to the "Test Cool Feature List".

Also, in LCS version 3.19.4, all recruits are female, even if they distinctly were male when I was talking to them in the crackhouse/apartment/etc.  Same with Seduced and Brainwashed.  Not sure how the change gender feature would work.  I should point out my founder is a female, if that matters.

Which has me wondering, "How does the Gender Changer affect gameplay?"  Is it permanent?  Do all Conservatives agree with the change?  Does being Angrogynous affect anything?  Will the bouncer let the Angrogynous person into the Gentleman's Club?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2009, 11:34:20 pm »

You can't upgrade them now. But I want you to be able to upgrade them. So I'll make it so you can, next release.

Note that you actually get a random number between zero and your dodge skill as your defensive bonus, instead of just getting your dodge skill added directly, as it was in previous versions. This makes dodge still useful without allowing you to create truly invincible characters with it.

May I suggest having the minimum bonus be a third of your dodge skill instead of a flat zero? This would still leave even elite characters vulnerable to skilled opponents, but at least they won't be making total rookie mistakes in combat and get their faces perforated by pitchforks and syringes. I mean, a hard-earned skill like dodging has got to be worth SOMETHING, even if the dice are completely against you.

I can consider it, but it's an extremely powerful skill in general. I tend to doubt there's any need for it to be more powerful.

Not sure if it is working as intended, but I maxed out my persuasion to 13 within 10 days of starting the game by going to the crackhouse and casually chatting 30 or so crackheads/prostitutes etc.  Seems a little fast to me.

That does seem a little fast. When I tried to reproduce this with a character starting with 11 charisma and 4 persuasion, I was only able get to 6.05 by talking to over 35 people in the crack house and then casually chatting with them all for ten days. I tried again with a character at 14 charisma and 4 persuasion, and a few more people, and it increased a bit faster, but not quite as much as you experienced.

Its possible to press enter and skip certain options when you shouldn't be able to.  For example, the "Safehouse, Trouble, or Both" option, as well as the list of stealable cars.

Good idea. I can fix that.

Hence why I use Wine, and not the Linux version. Also, the flags burn fine with Wine.

Flags burn fine on Linux too, now, as that bug was fixed awhile back. I seem to recall it was tricky and involved about a half hour of collaboration between two people to find.

I really have no idea why the newspaper is doing that or whether there's anything I can do about it, unfortunately. If I knew how to fix it, I would.

I've played with using just headlines, but I ended up tossing it out because it didn't look good.

These issues just don't have articles, at all:

- immigration
- political violence
- the military
- drug control
- civil rights

That's five news stories, all total: One liberal and one conservative for each one.

Here's an example of a format and length I can use to make a news story:

Quote from: Liberal Crime Squad
VIEW: PRISONS
ON THE INSIDE

(Random City) - A former prisoner has written a book describing in horrifying detail what goes on behind bars.  Although popular culture has used, or perhaps overused, the prison theme lately in its offerings for mass consumption, rarely have these works been as poignant as (Firstname) (Lastname)'s new tour-de-force, _(Pick from A)_(Pick from B)_.

Take this excerpt, "The steel bars grated forward in their rails, coming to a halt with a deafening clang that said it all -- I was trapped with them now.  There were three, looking me over with dark glares of bare lust, as football players might stare at a stupified, drunken, helpless teenager.  My shank's under the mattress.  Better to be a man and fight or a punk and let them take it?  Maybe lose an eye the one way, maybe catch AIDS the other.  A helluva choice, and I would only have a few seconds before they made it for me."

A:
Nightmare
Primal
Animal
American
Solitary

B:
Packer
Soap
Punk
Kid
Cell
Shank
Lockdown
Buttlord

Found a bug, but it's not serious. If a sleeper agent delivers something to a safe house or the homeless shelter immediately after a newspaper headline posting, the text will look like text on a newspaper. I'll try to grab a screenshot next time it pops up

No worries, just fixed it. Thanks.

Wonder if the Abandoned buildings which start as LCS Safehouses can be upgraded if they get captured by the CCS (thus become Enemy Safehouses), then get recaptured by the LCS?  It should be like that (and I seem to recall doing so), but I'll add it to the "Test Cool Feature List".

Also, in LCS version 3.19.4, all recruits are female, even if they distinctly were male when I was talking to them in the crackhouse/apartment/etc.  Same with Seduced and Brainwashed.  Not sure how the change gender feature would work.  I should point out my founder is a female, if that matters.

Which has me wondering, "How does the Gender Changer affect gameplay?"  Is it permanent?  Do all Conservatives agree with the change?  Does being Angrogynous affect anything?  Will the bouncer let the Angrogynous person into the Gentleman's Club?

1) It's based on the kind of site you're in, so theoretically there should be nothing stopping you from investing in a recaptured warehouse.

2) I haven't been able to reproduce all recruits being female. Just tested with a new female character and grabbed a musician, Juan Krishna (Age 54, Male).

3) Changing gender is not permanent. Not all Conservatives will respect the change.

The bouncer will let an Androgynous person in if they were originally male.

The bouncer will let an Androgynous or Male person in that was switched from female originally only if they pass a tough disguise check, or gay rights is L+.

The bouncer will let a Female person in if women's equality is L or L+.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2009, 12:16:10 am »

Two bugs, one minor, one heuj.

The minor one seems to crop up if the LCS is killed off on the day the Liberal Guardian publishes a special issue. After everyone looses contact with the LCS you are given the option to run special editions of the liberal guardian until you exhaust every item usable for publishing. Once you do, the game exits as it usually does on game over.

The huge one occurs in a strange case. I gave my founder access to a car, used it to go down to the outskirts once. Then, I took him out of the car, and gave it to another liberal. He got hunted down by mercs and crashed the car.

However, the bug occurred. For some reason, my founder could still go to the outskirts, though on foot, and when he got chased by mercs on the way out, it was counted as a car chase. When they shot the body of the 'car' nothing happened, obviously. Yeah, My founder had an invisible invincible car.
!!&!!

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2009, 03:05:42 am »

Quote from: Jonathan S. Fox
I can consider it, but it's an extremely powerful skill in general. I tend to doubt there's any need for it to be more powerful.
Please do. Because, without wanting to sound banal, it's only powerful if it works. A higher dodge skill should allow you to plan (somewhat) for more dangerous goals. I'll probably not raid the CCS and battle its experienced and infinitely randomly regenerated members if I know that my evasion skills could spontaneously fail me completely.

Quote from: Jonathan S. Fox
I've played with using just headlines, but I ended up tossing it out because it didn't look good.

These issues just don't have articles, at all:

- immigration
- political violence
- the military
- drug control
- civil rights

That's five news stories, all total: One liberal and one conservative for each one.

Maybe you can work this into something usable:

POLITICAL VIOLENCE ARTICLES

ANTI-VIOLENCE

END IN TEARS

(Random City) - Nine people were killed today as special forces forcefully ended the three-day hostage crisis at the (large building) that was instigated by members of the (minor terrorist group). Prior to the raid, the group had taken over 80 people captive and demanded, among other things: safe passage to North Korea, 10 billion dollars in cash, 2 fully-fueled airliners and the dissolution of the United States of America. According to police sources, the raid became necessary after the kidnappers revealed they had been executing twenty people at the end of each day of non-compliance with their demands.

(large buildings)

City Hall
Trinity Disco
Henderson Cafeteria
Unemployment Office
Milburn Orphanage

(minor terrorist groups)

Stalinist Comrade Squad
Radical Feminist Brigades
2nd Amendment Society
Anarcho-Fascist Collective

PRO-VIOLENCE

THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE

(Random City) - The dismissal of (his/her) final appeal ended the tragic tale of (random first and last name) today. (last name), (age), is the central figure of what many consider to be the greatest political scandal in years. A successful owner of a French language-themed bookshop until two years ago, (last name)'s downfall began when local police illegally confiscated much of (his/her) stock for 'unamerican content'. Attempts to take the matter to the legal arena failed after the judge - who happened to be a brother-in-law of one of the accused officers - threw out the case and the state supreme court declined to get involved despite widespread media publication of the case. Four months ago, a disillusioned and bankrupt (last name) was caught in the act of vandalizing the courthouse windows with a baseball bat. (He/She) was subsequently convicted of breaking the peace, vandalism, attempted murder and terrorism and sentenced to life in prison. The presiding judge was a childhood friend of (newspaper article cuts off here)

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2009, 07:01:53 am »

You can't upgrade them now. But I want you to be able to upgrade them. So I'll make it so you can, next release.
Yeah, just having two upgradeable buildings is a pain in the ass.

Flags burn fine on Linux too, now, as that bug was fixed awhile back. I seem to recall it was tricky and involved about a half hour of collaboration between two people to find.

I really have no idea why the newspaper is doing that or whether there's anything I can do about it, unfortunately. If I knew how to fix it, I would.
That's okay, I really just wanted to bring this to your attention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hahaha, my hacker has no left eye, right eye, or nose!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some Ideas I've had
  • ADD
  • A pet store, for buying guard dogs (which could help in raids and such)
  • A very small chance of finding politicians (named [i.e. president, VP, Secretary of State, Attorney General, Supreme Court Justices] and unnamed [Senators, Representatives]) when visiting a place.
  • [To the LIBERAL AGENDA UI] a tab showing what is illegal and what isn't [Abortion, Guns, Death Penalty, Nuclear Power, Drugs, Flag Burning, etc.]
  • A drug dealer, with fluctuating prices, and various drugs.
  • The ability to get Heavy Body Armor after I take over the CCS base!
  • Allow The Free CLINIC and The University Hospital to be explored!
  • More types of cars.
  • A penthouse apartment or two.
  • The ability to be raided by the Secret Service for treason!
  • A blindness effect, for when someone gets old, or 1 or more eyes shot out.
  • Car bombs, for the LCS to use.
  • The ability to pickpocket
  • The option to bribe factions, reducing chances of raids, etc.
  • Various effects based on missing body parts and such.
  • A ghetto.
  • The option to choose what to hack.
  • A Desert Eagle as a weapon.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:54:15 am by LiteralKa »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2009, 09:49:10 am »

On the topic of suggestions, I only have one. The Firing Range. Should be able to train with automatic rifles at C+, should change into a Kendo School to train Sword use at L+. Or, shut down completely if even melee weapons are banned.

It would have to be rather expensive per day to compensate for the obvious benefits of being able to train up firearms use, to cover for ammunition cost, and the price to use the facilities themselves.
!!&!!

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2009, 10:04:08 am »

On the topic of suggestions, I only have one. The Firing Range. Should be able to train with automatic rifles at C+, should change into a Kendo School to train Sword use at L+. Or, shut down completely if even melee weapons are banned.

It would have to be rather expensive per day to compensate for the obvious benefits of being able to train up firearms use, to cover for ammunition cost, and the price to use the facilities themselves.
Nice Idea.

MORE SUGGESTIONS:
  • ADD:
  • More items to publish in The Liberal Guardian, one for each item on the LIBERAL AGENDA
  • An impeachment process (initiated when you get enough dirt on the president)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:16:41 am by LiteralKa »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:27 am »

I wished that you posted that before I sent my own suggestions over to John, those articles are great!

Might want to add more Elite Liberal countries the terrorists can flee to, instead of North Korea (why in the world would Second-Amendmenters and fascists flee to North Korea)...
--Libya
--Syria
--Canada
--The Netherlands
--France
--Sweeden
--Cuba
--Venuezala

What else?

Oh, and, erm, Johnatan S. Fox, how is the Stalinist Comrade Squad coming along, if it is coming along or not?

The ability to be raided by the Secret Service for treason!

That's already implemented. Somewhat. The Secret Service only raids you if you release CIA files. That's it. If you commit terrorism, the secret service shrugs and let the local police handles it, but if you release state secrets, the Secret Service will come in and kill everyone.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:01:16 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2009, 11:05:40 am »

I wished that you posted that before I sent my own suggestions over to John, those articles are great!

Might want to add more Elite Liberal countries the terrorists can flee to, instead of North Korea (why in the world would Second-Amendmenters and fascists flee to North Korea)...
--Libya
--Syria
--Canada
--The Netherlands
--France
--Sweeden
--Cuba
--Venuezala

What else?

MEXICO!
The ability to be raided by the Secret Service for treason!

That's already implemented. Somewhat. The Secret Service only raids you if you release CIA files. That's it. If you commit terrorism, the secret service shrugs and let the local police handles it, but if you release state secrets, the Secret Service will come in and kill everyone.
Oh, that works.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 38