Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38

Author Topic: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad  (Read 70590 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.4 - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2009, 09:26:37 pm »

I guess the cops implanted evidence. Either that or you hidnaped 9 people but it didn't get released by the press.
Hello Hunam

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 30, 2009, 08:05:16 pm »

Nope, only one person. It must've been fake evidence. Conservative lapdogs WOULD incriminate me!

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 05, 2009, 06:49:48 am »

Nope, only one person. It must've been fake evidence. Conservative lapdogs WOULD incriminate me!

Didn't see this earlier for some reason. Yes, each failed kidnapping attempt does add a seperate count to your criminal record, even if it's always the same person. Yes, that's silly.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:48 pm »

Oh wowyay! You ARE still working on it. I got distracted by Conservative Forces such as getting a job, and when I'd check occasionally and see the sourceforge site abandoned I assumed the worst.

So I downloaded the three year old sourceforge copy(4th result on google by the way) I also had to actually add to the code to make the sourceforge version compile, which I found rather silly. It hadn't included libraries necessary for some of the commands it was using in the rewritten lcsio.h - Played happily for awhile, toyed with the idea of setting up non-hospital healing for less severe wounds and more divided healing for the hospital that you were working on at the time.

Then when reading the WIKIPEDIA article for the game, got directed to the forum, and in looking at the dates, my heart filled with Liberal Glee. I saw the new version on the fron
t page, and I played and I played in between telling customers to get off my phone, and there was much happiness.

But now something which I had, in my happiness, pushed aside and used my work machine to work around.

Where's the linux version!?!?!? :-o :-o :-o

Also, Bump! Why in the world isn't this stickied? As far as I can tell there's no other place in existence where you can actually find the link to download the game.

Also, GLEEEEEE

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2009, 01:47:48 am »

And now it is stickied. Yay.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2009, 02:02:46 am »

And now it is stickied. Yay.

Kinda surprised it took so long.

The latest versions should always be stickied... for the sake of the children

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2009, 02:30:47 am »

LCS has a Wikipedia article? I can hardly see how it survived its last deletion nomination.

I've done something hopefully good and healthy for the LCS community:

1) Uploaded the latest Windows download to Sourceforge, and set it as the default Windows download.
2) Uploaded the 3.19.4 source code to Sourceforge in a .zip file, and set it as the default Linux and Mac OS X download. I considered using .7z, but I decided to err on the side of anyone on Linux who doesn't have 7zip or know what it is.
3) Changed the Sourceforge project description to link to this forum for the project's web page.
4) Stickied this topic and changed its title to make it clear this is where you download the game.

I need somebody to go on Sourceforge from Linux, check that the default download is working right, and see if you can get it compiled and working okay.  The game should work on Linux, I don't use Linux, so I can't test it myself. Well, I could, but I'm too lazy to build LCS on my mac. Here's a shortcut link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame/

Viva La Revolución!

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.19.4 Download - Let's Play Liberal Crime Squad
« Reply #472 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:47 am »

Rejoice! Rejoice and Jubilation!

It does indeed compile and run. However! it doesn't automatically find the sitemaps.txt. In fact, I can't seem to get it to find it no matter what I do. I put it in ~/.lcs(with the save files) into $PREFIX/share/lcs/, $PREFIX/share/lcs/art, the current directory, the directory with the executable...Just where does it have to be to make it accessible?

Also, you were right to use zip rather than 7zip, I would have had to look stuff up to figure out how to extract  it, though I do appear to have the utilities installed *laugh* Here is a proper .tar.gz of the archive though, with ./bootstrap ran, so the configure scripts are created, and it's permissions all proper so you can run it again and compile it without weirdness.   http://r0x0rk1tt3h.net/lcs_3.19.4_src.tar.gz

Edit: Possible solutions involve..
- editting Makefile.am to include the sitemaps.txt into the share/lcs or share/lcs/art directory
 - setting what appears to be configfile.cpp to include either A) the public directory where sitemaps.txt was installed, or B) the lcsdatadir, such as how the high score.dat seems to involve LCSIO_PRE_HOME, i.e. ~/.lcs/
 - - if B) the game could copy the share/sitemaps.txt into the ~/.lcs/ folder if none is found, and can continue with the current functionality of having it missing if a blank file is there instead(relatively easy to accomplish for the user at least. rm it and touch ~/.lcs/sitemaps.txt)

Further Edit: - Now I'm not fully sure, but I think you might be able to do an easy fix for this with one line, and a more complicated fix with almost as few.

in configfile.cpp, just before openning the file, append "homedir" before it. It appears to be a global environment variable initialized in lcsio.cpp, which contains either the current directory or ~/.lcs depending on your environment. It's not used anywhere outside of it though, but...it looks like it should work. It's initialized right after the #includes

for the slightly more complicated fix, also use artdir to copy the file into homedir if it's missing, and if it's missing from both, or the file is empty, go with failmode.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:31:39 am by Xavior »

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 23, 2009, 05:13:22 pm »

K, I fail. After much mangled learning, managed to do nothing other than change the filename variable to begin with homedir(returning it to a char* afterward, since..I couldn't figure out how to do it with a char*), and add homedir before it. it tells me it's looking in the right place. the file is there, and it still fails to open it. No idea why anymore.

Attempting to open filename: /home/gemini/.lcs/sitemaps.txt Failed to load sitemaps.txt! Reverting to old map mode.

There...is a very decent chance that I just messed up though. Since I can't reproduce it with my imagined minimalist code without segmentation faulting apparently from the char* pointers.

*facepalms at his attempted programming efforts and goes back to trying to convert the country*

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 23, 2009, 09:18:13 pm »

So... I'm new here. I got this game today. I started with 3.09 I think. Then I found this from... I forgot already. Anyhoo, the latest thing I downloaded was v3.19.4 from the first page of this, and I'm a bit confused. Am I supposed to have an undeletable save file that I didn't make? If I start the game, I'm Claudia Fairbanks going to al Fadil apartments. I've tried to delete this weird file, but I can't. I'd like to play from the beginning, and something tells me this isn't it. Help?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 23, 2009, 09:31:18 pm »

I think thats an intro or Easter Egg or glitch,I hate it anyway though.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 23, 2009, 10:12:59 pm »

Whatever it is, it's a problem. Without the chance to make a character, you can't really play properly.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #477 on: July 24, 2009, 01:38:07 am »

Can you manually delete save.dat, in the same directory as crimesquad.exe?

In the mean time, I'll make sure to re-upload a clean archive.

Xavior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 24, 2009, 01:42:20 am »

You...shouldn't have any problems deleting the save.dat file, that will make you restart from the beginning. Just be sure to do it without crimesquad.exe openned.

If for some reason that still fails for you, here's another copy without any save or high score data...or, apparently I've been beaten to it :D

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 24, 2009, 04:10:22 am »

You...shouldn't have any problems deleting the save.dat file, that will make you restart from the beginning. Just be sure to do it without crimesquad.exe openned.

If for some reason that still fails for you, here's another copy without any save or high score data...or, apparently I've been beaten to it :D

I know I shouldn't have any problems deleting it, but I do. I get a diagnostics message that says access denied. Anyway, you say you've been beaten to putting a fixed copy on... where? I don't see it!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 38