Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building over open air  (Read 1635 times)

whiterook6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building over open air
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:03:04 pm »

Can you build a floor tile beside a wall without support under it? I want to build a bride out of stone, maybe three support pillars, then floor and walls from one end to the other.

Or, perhaps, a tower that gets wider as it gets taller.

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building over open air
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:20 pm »

Yes, walls (constructed or natural) will support adjacent floor tiles, and vice versa.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 10:09:36 pm »

floors and walls can be constructed attached to other floors and walls without any support underneath.  There is no real physics-based collapses yet, just when something doesn't have *any* support it will cave-in. 

"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:03:39 pm »

Better advice: try it and see.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:37:36 am »

Learning by failing.

A DF tradition since ver 1.0.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:48:55 am »

Learning by failing.

A DF tradition since ver 1.0.

*Looks at the top of the page*
DF isn't ON version 1.0 yet. With the way toady's going 1.0 will be an complete and accurate simulation of a universe.
Fiat Lux
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:51:07 am by Zona »
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 07:22:19 am »

I want to build a bride out of stone,

I don't think sex dolls made out of stone are going to be fun.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:04:56 am »

With the way toady's going 1.0 will be an complete and accurate simulation of a universe.
Fiat Lux

I think Toady will travel back in time, convert his memory to a computer named "Deep Thought," and...

Well, if my suspicions are correct, everyone here reads as much sci-fi as they read fantasy.  You should know the rest.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:46:04 am »

Are you saying our entire planet was created so a bunch of nth-dimensional mice could play the ultimate Dwarf Fortress simulation?

The dwarves, goblins and elves must have died off in worldgen.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:00:15 am »

Are you saying our entire planet was created so a bunch of nth-dimensional mice could play the ultimate Dwarf Fortress simulation?

The dwarves probably died off from drowning in carp infested water... The goblins probably died by impaling themselves on the dwarves' traps. And the elves just sucked so much the mice killed them themselves.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »

or they didn't have their own entries in before worldgen started
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 04:09:57 pm »

Hmm, I've met a few booze-loving cantankerous dwarves in my time. Certainly are plenty of tree huggers around too, and a few who might be described as goblinish. Also, I'm firmly convinced my last g/f was a tentacle demon in disguise. There may be something to this theory after all!
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 04:47:15 pm »

I think all of our minds would have appreciated it if you hadn't said that last part. :P

But on topic, it is pretty amazing how good Dwarven engineering is. They can make a roof over the world with stone tiles, so long as one of them is adjacent to a pillar or wall.
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 06:36:43 pm »

Not only that, but their stone is so good that one wall tile can support the whole planet.

Do you not believe? Go way to the bottom, mine everything but one piece. Then build a stone wall, after that mine the rest of the rock.
You know what this says about the god of all:
Armok, Dabbling-5 Physics God.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.