Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] All dwarves in my fortress have stopped drinking.  (Read 918 times)

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] All dwarves in my fortress have stopped drinking.
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:13:13 pm »

I don't understand what happened. I assume this is a glitch because there's about 20 of them just standing in my food stockpile around barrels of alcohol complaining of thirst.

My food stores read "100?" and I have 3 stills running yet no one at all wants to drink. They are becoming dehydrated and I have already lost a child to it.

I don't understand what's going on...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] All dwarves in my fortress have stopped drinking.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:51 pm »

Make certain the drinks aren't forbidden. From what you describe, it doesn't sound like an access problem (since they're standing around the drinks), but do make certain the drinks are actually in the food stockpile. It's conceivable they're stuck behind a workshop wall or something similar.

Also, only one dwarf can drink from a barrel at a time, so if your 100 drinks are located in 4 barrels -- easily possible with a skilled grower -- then only four dwarves will be able to drink at a time. This shouldn't slow things down enough to cause dehydration, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:35:43 am »

Dorfs really should put those stone mugs to use. We should have a inn/barkeeper who would dispense drinks and rations that way. At least when the economy is running.

Ryalseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 04:00:26 pm »

Dwarves will drink alcohol wherever it is, as long as it's accessible.
You should definitely make sure there's a large number of barrels of booze available (perhaps queue up 10-30 brew drink tasks with the manager screen), as a large fortress could dehydrate to death if you only produce what's needed. Build a few wells too, to prevent emergencies of this sort.

Also, thirsty dwarves who are drinking will continue showing as thirsty until they're done, so that may be what you're seeing.