Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mounted human invaders ignore weapon traps?  (Read 1361 times)

Zarimus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mounted human invaders ignore weapon traps?
« on: May 07, 2009, 06:07:10 pm »

I had a siege from the evil human forces recently and I expected them to fall to the entry meatgrinder of weapon traps I had prepared as so many goblins had done. However they were mounted on apparently friendly horses which confused my traps since they rode merrily over the waiting blades and corkscrews without a care in the world.

I suspect the horses were the cause as riderless horses would not trip the weapon traps either. It's possible the unmounted humans would have tripped the traps but they were unmounted in several pieces by my wrestlers so there's no empirical evidence backing that up.

Anyone else ever seen this behavior?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mounted human invaders ignore weapon traps?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »

Humans can bypass any trap their diplomat has seen.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »

Did these humans ever, at any point in time, trade with you? If so then:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is true

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:11 pm »

Now I know this is true of elven diplomats as well, but is it still true if the diplomat dies before he gets back to elvendom?  Sneaky bastard made it through my traps before I realized it would take a ballista bolt to take him out and I want to know how paranoid I should expect to be.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:34:28 am »

You should build a second entrance filled with traps, and a locked door on it.  Then when you get attacked  you can open the doors and close off the main hallway with the traps that have been seen.  Kind of interesting to think about.

"Heheh, we know where those dwarfs traps are this time! We won't be fooled.
Hmm, the entranced is blocked off, better go around...  I don't remember this hallway OH GOD! Men, stop trudging through all of those traaaaps!"
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:43 am »

Or better yet, make a magma trap! After all, every situation can be improved with magma!

ronin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:28:44 pm »

What if you remove and rebuild traps periodically?  Do the diplomats only know about the ones they walk over or do they have a vision radius?

I have an .... extensive trap system comprised of 5 belts and I'd be very despondent if the baddies just waltzed past them all.  I might have to activate the secondary defenses and put those marksdwarves on duty or something.  My goodness I might have to raise the drawbridge!!!!   ;)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 04:39:11 pm »

It would make sense if removing and rebuilding the traps makes them lethal again.  Its likely just a flag tied to the trap and not the tile.  Though I never really tried.

If it works just imagine the dwarves re-rigging the trap to trigger differently.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 07:15:05 pm »

It would make sense if removing and rebuilding the traps makes them lethal again.  Its likely just a flag tied to the trap and not the tile.  Though I never really tried.

If it works just imagine the dwarves re-rigging the trap to trigger differently.
Heheh ya
mctrapdwarf 1: "Ah crap the diplomate knows where our traps are."
mctrapdwarf 2: "Its okay just move the triggering tile one tile over."