Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New challenge fort idea: Ice Fortress  (Read 3093 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: New challenge fort idea: Ice Fortress
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 05:03:30 pm »

What happens when a water tile is moving through the air, does it freeze? If so would a waterfall be an instant lag fest cave in trap

Firstly, waterfalls don't occur naturally on glaciers.  :P Secondly, a waterfall going down the side of a wall wouldn't result in cave-ins. The ice wall would stick to the side of the wall and then the next bit of water will go on top of that, freeze and plug up the flow. If the waterfall doesn't touch any walls, there will be a period of a bunch of 'cave-in' alerts until the resultant pillar of ice plugs up the hole.

A real 'cave-in trap of laggy doom' would be an aquifer leaking into a magma pipe from a hole in the ceiling. Stupid, stupid mistake...  :-\
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:05:47 pm »

of course, that can still be done by bucket brigade.  I think walls of ice still float.

Have you actually tried this? A bucket brigade would wind up creating 'water' impurities that dwarves will clean away, not walls of ice. In fact, the water in the buckets would freeze once introduced to the outside air, rendering it into completely useless 'water' items. at the entrance to your reservoir.
Plenty of times, no, no, respectively.  DF physics don't exactly respect the real world.  When a pond is filled, 10 "water" items in a bucket are deleted and one depth of water is created in the tile one z-level below the one designated as a pond.  This will first freeze into a muddy ice floor, and on the second try will create an entire wall, since those are the only ways walls can be divided.

Really? Thats odd. When i tried to move water in buckets on my glacier fort it just resulted in those water impurities on the floor all the time. Made it completely impossible to recover my one wounded miner.

Edit: sorry 'bout the double post, thought someone was gonna post before i made an edit again.  :P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:12:14 pm by Neoskel »

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

What happens when a water tile is moving through the air, does it freeze? If so would a waterfall be an instant lag fest cave in trap

Firstly, waterfalls don't occur naturally on glaciers.  :P Secondly, a waterfall going down the side of a wall wouldn't result in cave-ins. The ice wall would stick to the side of the wall and then the next bit of water will go on top of that, freeze and plug up the flow. If the waterfall doesn't touch any walls, there will be a period of a bunch of 'cave-in' alerts until the resultant pillar of ice plugs up the hole.

A real 'cave-in trap of laggy doom' would be an aquifer leaking into a magma pipe from a hole in the ceiling. Stupid, stupid mistake...  :-\

that actually happened to one of my friends, he had to abandon becaus of the annyoing constant messages. is there a way to stop this?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 05:10:03 pm »

that actually happened to one of my friends, he had to abandon becaus of the annyoing constant messages. is there a way to stop this?

If you can find some way to plug up that hole in the aquifer, maybe. I think pumping magma into the offending aquifer tile would do the trick. Though getting the magma up there may be nigh unto impossible. And the progress would be seriously hampered by the cave-in lag-fest. Better to abandon.

The good thing is that it clears out any nasties living in the magma pipe pretty well.  :P

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 05:15:55 pm »

One question: does magma melt ice it is on the same z-level as the ice but is seperated by a 1-tile wall?

if it does the icy waterfall of doom trap would work well you just have an overhanging aqueduct with floodgates at the end which is surrounded by magma. Then open the flood gates and insta cave in death will ensue.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 05:18:46 pm »

One question: does magma melt ice it is on the same z-level as the ice but is seperated by a 1-tile wall?

if it does the icy waterfall of doom trap would work well you just have an overhanging aqueduct with floodgates at the end which is surrounded by magma. Then open the flood gates and insta cave in death will ensue.

I don't think so. But it does work if the magma is directly above or below the water. That concept is what i built my 'ice casting' theoretical method out of.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 05:19:35 pm »

It should be noted that if you station soldiers outside, a water skin will be useless, as it will hold only ice upon leaving the surface.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:25 pm »

well if anyone find any good site please post it as im having a hell of a problem to find an glacier with magma.

Just generate a world with 100% volcanism. Then there'll be magma everywhere.

Heh, i just thought of another bonus point thingy. (edited op)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:25:00 pm by Neoskel »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 10:43:43 am »

Here's a challenge: only use the attacks of fire imps, magma men and their other firey kin to carve out your fortress. Probably next to impossible, but it would without fail creates lots of "fun"...and talk about the bragging rights if it actually works out!
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 12:44:37 pm »

For even more challenge, make a giant statue of a dwarf holding a flamethrower cast out of ice and obsidian near your gate. Then make the flamethrower the statue is holding actually shoot magma. *hint: magma pump 'pressure' is your friend*

See how much of the statue you can make from ice!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:42:33 pm by alway »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09:03 pm »

Would this be a a good way to pump up water, or would it be a cave-in spam machine?
W=Water, M=Magma, P=Pump, X=Wall
Code: [Select]
      PPWWWWWW
   PPWXMMMMMMX
WWWXMMMMMMMMMX
MMMMMMMMMMMMMX
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »

I don't have a lot of experience playing on freezing maps, so there might be something I'm missing.

However, doesn't water that's "indoors" stay liquid? Can't you just put a roof on your cast, and then remove it when it's time to freeze the water?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 03:36:52 pm »

Anyone find a good map to do this on? So far the only locations I have managed to find don't allow me to take bauxite with on embark.

Edit: As usual, I find one on the next try after posting, after an hour of making custom worlds searching for a nice place.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:43:33 pm by alway »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 05:21:53 pm »

However, doesn't water that's "indoors" stay liquid? Can't you just put a roof on your cast, and then remove it when it's time to freeze the water?
It's actually anything subterranean that will freeze.  Constructions don't block weather-based temperature, only natural walls and ceilings.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 06:34:54 pm »

Something of note: temperatures can vary so you may end up with the bucket brigade leaving behind muddy ice and then having to pour another bucket for an ice wall but if the environment is sufficiently cold then they need only one bucket of water to make an ice wall.

I also have a question. If I turn off temp would I be able to pump water up to the surface without it freezing?
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3