Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New challenge fort idea: Ice Fortress  (Read 3080 times)

mrgreenshirt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: New challenge fort idea: Ice Fortress
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:31 pm »

I think ive found your site.  Glacier, magma, next to an ocean so theres water and driftwood for buckets.  I'm gonna get started on this myself!

http://www.mediafire.com/?nywdtyywmkd

I generated it without saving any of the parameters, so i thought itd be easier to share it this way.

Here's a link to the site.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l45/mrgreenshirt/thesite.png

The only snag i can see is that the area is calm and serene.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 07:06:57 pm »

Unfortunately, driftwood cannot, as of yet, be used for wood.  It isn't that good for carpentry in reality, anyway.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 07:15:52 pm »

After about 5 custom worldgens (with temp ranges of -5 to -15 so everywhere is freezing) I managed to find a spot with a nice volcano, a frozen river pretty much right next to it, and only about 7 z levels of variation. Also has heavily forrested. I was able to bring bauxite, and so I brought 200 stones with me which should be enough for whatever magma pumps need to be constructed.

Good luck everyone!  ;D

Edit 1:

First dwarf day (they are now sleeping)
Carved out initial temporary shelter on edge of the volcano. Unfortunately A couple of dwarves had a run in with a fire imp, killing one and taking out the eye of another before the imp was killed. Now the poor guy without an eye keeps passing out randomly. Also, I seem to have found 2 layers of microcline while digging. Seems I may go for microcline furniture for my fort! I have soil layers, so food won't be a problem.

Edit 2: NO!!!!!!!
Apparently this map thaws in the spring. Time to go gen a new map with lower temp settings. Anyone know what temp stays frozen all year round?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:33:27 pm by alway »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 07:37:47 pm »

Freezing tundras or glaciers.  If neither, it won't work.

Pretty much, trees = bad.  That world you generated should have the above biomes in it, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 07:39:49 pm »

Ah, ok thanks. I guess when things seem to good to be true, they are...

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 07:49:17 pm »

im building my fort at a Glacier. http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-14638-barracks heres the link

im using dark dwarves mod which makes Df a little crazier, bloodier and alot more funnier.

some things are built walls instead of frozen water.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 08:34:30 pm »

im building my fort at a Glacier. http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-14638-barracks heres the link

im using dark dwarves mod which makes Df a little crazier, bloodier and alot more funnier.

some things are built walls instead of frozen water.

haha I love it =). I think you should turn that meeting hall into arena, and capture huge piles of elves to become the staple fodder for the tournament ^_^

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 06:39:01 am »

i will try but i havent been attacked by elves yet :( only dwarves humans and orcs
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 01:48:24 pm »

Freezing tundras or glaciers.  If neither, it won't work.

I'd like to cut in and say that if it isn't a glacier it doesn't count.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 04:38:22 pm »

Hey guys, guess what?  By turning off temperature in the init.txt when there aren't any major ice construction projects going on, animals brought by trade caravans won't die.  I just tried this out today to get GCS from deep elves in the dark dwarves mod.
Just so I remember

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »

Hey guys, guess what?  By turning off temperature in the init.txt when there aren't any major ice construction projects going on, animals brought by trade caravans won't die.  I just tried this out today to get GCS from deep elves in the dark dwarves mod.

Yea, but that's cheating. The point of the challenge is that to successfully build it is a feat of clever engineering. Otherwise you're just spending a lot of time in front of the computer.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 06:03:40 pm »

How's it cheating?  Normal animals that come with migrants don't die.  I don't see why the ones brought by caravans should.
Just so I remember

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2009, 03:03:32 am »

you cant cheat in df in anyway, its called improvements

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 01:34:38 pm »

I have a question which I will experiment with, but if anyone else knows the answer let me know.

I'm on a map that's partially freezing, and partially cold. The traders always come in from the freezing side, and when they get there all the cages are just "Nickel cage", "Lead cage", etc. There's a lot of them, and I had requested a lot of pets, so I'm assuming they contained animals but the animals died.

And when they enter from the cold environment, will the pets still be alive? Is it the short trip through the freezing part of the map that kills the animals, or do they die off screen during the long journey?

If I build a wall 1 tile away from the edge all the way around the freezing biome square, will it force the traders to enter from the cold environment, thus saving the animals?
Pages: 1 2 [3]