Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Superpowers the world is missing  (Read 8674 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Superpowers the world is missing
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2009, 11:04:50 pm »

To add a few dimensions to my existence. So I can move through more than just around in space and "forward" in time. But switch between different universes as easily as walking down the street. Switch to the universe where I have not met a mugger in this ally but do have a full suit of modern armour and a long sword, then switch back and slay the mugger as his knife/bullet just bounces off. Pretty much, this ability would enable me to do just about anything, with the limit that I carefully fix the flows and prevent disruption noticeable by any higher beings that care. I would also need to keep from expanding into any realities in which horrible things happen to me.

Another one that is slightly less powerful; chaos magic. Now that I think of it, it is pretty much like probability manipulation. I set it up in role plays to be a magic that trade predictability for power. Usually when trying to use it, you don't want to think about it. As long as the magic isn't paying attention to what you want (as long as your not paying attention to what you want), it can still be affected by your will. Example:
  You attempt to put out a fire on a table by spraying some ice upon it. The wish you are not really paying attention to is "put out the fire". The magic is now limited to doing anything that can put out the fire. So it turns into an engraving of fire on the table. Or empties your body of blood to put out the fire. Or causes a nearby section of land to flip over and sandwich the entire building to smother the fire.
  However dangerous this may sound, it is actually quite fine once you know how to use it. Of course, you risk your life, and everyone else's within range (what happens to be in your mind at casting), while you practice. Those who are insane or have a great deal of experience with their mind and chaos get a starting bonus when working with the magic.

Able to send people illusions for people to experience in a single moment. So if I happened to get very angry with someone, I could show them how I feel by sending them the experience of me eviscerating them with my bare hands. They would "return" without a second passing, and likely be horrified and distressed. I would act as though they are going nuts and they would quickly calm down, then tell their doctor. Once I activate the ability, I can construct the illusion just as "quickly" as the experience it, perhaps a bit faster. So when I used it there, I would imagine what I want to happen in my own mental time line, then he would experience it when I finish, in his own mental timeline. Yet still almost no time has passed in reality.
  This has numerous non-violent uses as well. Such as giving a person a lesson on some subject. Being able to make a person proficient at their job instantly. Communication. An idea you want to describe but just can't say it in words, or something that you just don't have enough time to say. It would also be awesome for roleplaying. Spend a couple "hours" with your friends playing D&D, you playing dungeon master. You could really live each twist of the game.
  In fact, this power might be much greater than the previous two. So many uses...I guess the only limits for this ability would be you patience to create something, and your attention to detail.

Be able to animate objects that can if fact work the ways you want them to move. Things of sand or snow would be fine, and the grains and crystals are all in contact and can move about. But a pile of sticks or other objects that just don't have (and can't make) any limbs or ligaments for movement would not work. This includes suits of armour and statues, for they are rigid. A little man out of twisty ties would work. Or more entertaining, make additional prosthetic limbs and animate them. Or even better, make yourself a large river-clay colossus and sit at the head.
  There are two control options and the points between them. Full control, like it is all your own limbs. Or mindful, where everything has a mind of it's own you set.

Nivm cancels post: Sleep. Now.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 12:02:13 am »

whoa. nice text wall.

Ooh! To be able to move in three dimensions of TIME as well as physical space.

I'm currently in orbit of three steps to the left of the future.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 08:13:39 am »

Someone mentioned punching someone really hard from anywhere at the start of the thread.
Combine this with the ability to puch them from anywhen

The possibilities are endless.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 08:58:21 am »

Meitnerman, with the unique ability of controlling meitnerium. He can't stand nitrogen, though - even a molecule of it makes him helpless as a child!

Mr. Broccoli, who can eat as much of broccoli as he wants, without being disgusted.

Sand Lord can control sand with telekinesis. One grain at once.

And imagine them ever teaming up...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 09:05:16 am »

Meitnerman, with the unique ability of controlling meitnerium. He can't stand nitrogen, though - even a molecule of it makes him helpless as a child!

Meaning he is constantly powerless. Nitrogen is rather common in the ground. If a bit of dust gets on him...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 09:09:26 am »

Meaning he is constantly powerless. Nitrogen is rather common in the ground. If a bit of dust gets on him...

You can't submit Captain Obvious, he already exists.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 09:21:50 am »

Mr. Broccoli, who can eat as much of broccoli as he wants, without being disgusted.
Ahem.  My hero name is LegoLord, not Mr. Broccoli.

Don't steal my powers.  It's not cool, yo.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 09:49:54 am »

Yesterday I bunnyhopped emphatically into a small stair set and promptly killed my rear derailleur. In the middle of the night, on my way to a party -.-

Oh boy, I was wishing hard for BICYCLE REPAIR MAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2009, 12:59:19 pm »

The beeper king: he appologizes you for making him the victim of his sexual obsession because it has ruined you for other men.  Oh yeah, as his alter ego he runs the last beeper store in NYC.

Firefly man: has the ability to keep moping ineffectually about a shows cancellation for years!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:01:40 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »

You can't submit Captain Obvious, he already exists.
Not to mention Lieutenant Obvious has worked hard for his promotion, and thus gets quite peeved whenever his name and rank are used.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2009, 01:25:29 pm »

Don't forget Gunnery Sargent Obvious. He worked REAL hard for that rank.

Must not forget General store and Major Richard. Those guys worked REAL hard.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2009, 01:30:51 pm »

And who can forget PFC You-passive-aggressive-son-of-a-bitch-I'll-stab-you-in-you're-throat.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2009, 01:40:04 pm »

Erm...nitrogen also makes up most of the atmosphere, so....

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »

Nitrogen is also a component of amino acids, of which we are 15% comprised of.  Hence the name, Amino (amine group on a carboxylic acid - NH2--R--COOH).

I am going to kick that IB exam's ass.  (note the structure is very simplified.  It's easier to type it that way)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 02:06:27 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2009, 02:54:24 pm »

Erm...nitrogen also makes up most of the atmosphere, so....

Wait... Nitrogen is N... What am I thinking of? Found in dirt... Salt... Not Potassium... I think I confused something. Calcium?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8