Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Ships & Boats  (Read 19457 times)

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
Ships & Boats
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »

I don't care if this has been suggested to death(or not, I don't know), I want ships dammit! The one thing that would make my favorite game of all time even more awsome would be ships and boats of different types.

Boats can be one or two tiles big and are built as defined.

Types:
     Raft: Smallest boat and uses the least wood. Can be used to trasport small amounts of supplies and dwarves.
     Rowboat: A small, slow boat that can be used for tasks like fishing or dredging and can carry only a few dwarves or supplies.
     Fishing Boat: Largest boat and used exclusively for fishing (any dwarf inside fishes faster than normal). This boat can carry a load of fish and supplies and a few dwarves.

Ships are coustom built by the player but can have classes depending on size and features.

Ship classes:
       Barge: Large deck space with plenty of storage but little to no space for a crew.
       Coast Hugggers: These small ships don't have much storage space but have enough space for a respectable crew.
       Work Ships: Medium-large sized and versitile ships with quite a bit of storage space and space for a large crew. These ships can be used for many tasks such as passenger trasport, freight trasport, and possibly work duties like dredging or fishing.
       Warships: Ahh warships, these monsters are armed to their crows nests with ballistas, catapults and other weapons. These ships can be anywhere from a little sloop to a monsterous galleon as long as they have weapons.

Ship Features and Requirements:
       Crew Quarters: Larger ships would require crew space with bunks and dining space.
       Capitan's Quarters: A capitan could be assigned to a ship and he would lead all crew assigned to it aswell. This capitan would have demands depending on the size of his vessel and it's features much like a noble.
        The Hold: Without a sizeable hold a ship could not sustain a long voyage and this hold would have booze and fresh water storage, food storage, and ammo storage.
        Masts and Sails(maybe): Cloth is used in the production of sails and masts must be designated.

Tell me what you think!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:10:00 pm by Labs »
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Ships & Boats
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:12:10 pm »

But if you build a raft and place it in a river, the carp might chew through it, or the dwarf might jump out to engage it, or something equally stupid Dwarven. Besides, wouldn't any dwarf, upon entering the ship, proceed to cover the floor in his last meal like a cave adapted drunk in the sunlight?

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:28 pm »

I don't care if this has been suggested to death(or not, I don't know), I want ships dammit! The one thing that would make my favorite game of all time even more awsome would be ships and boats of different types.

Boats can be one or two tiles big and are built as defined.

Types:
     Raft: Smallest boat and uses the least wood. Can be used to trasport small amounts of supplies and dwarves.
     Rowboat: A small, slow boat that can be used for tasks like fishing or dredging and can carry only a few dwarves or supplies.
     Fishing Boat: Largest boat and used exclusively for fishing (any dwarf inside fishes faster than normal). This boat can carry a load of fish and supplies and a few dwarves.

Ships are coustom built by the player but can have classes depending on size and features.

Ship classes:
       Barge: Large deck space with plenty of storage but little to no space for a crew.
       Coast Hugggers: These small ships don't have much storage space but have enough space for a respectable crew.
       Work Ships: Medium-large sized and versitile ships with quite a bit of storage space and space for a large crew. These ships can be used for many tasks such as passenger trasport, freight trasport, and possibly work duties like dredging or fishing.
       Warships: Ahh warships, these monsters are armed to their crows nests with ballistas, catapults and other weapons. These ships can be anywhere from a little sloop to a monsterous galleon as long as they have weapons.

Ship Features and Requirements:
       Crew Quarters: Larger ships would require crew space with bunks and dining space.
       Capitan's Quarters: A capitan could be assigned to a ship and he would lead all crew assigned to it aswell. This capitan would have demands depending on the size of his vessel and it's features much like a noble.
        The Hold: Without a sizeable hold a ship could not sustain a long voyage and this hold would have booze and fresh water storage, food storage, and ammo storage.
        Masts and Sails(maybe): Cloth is used in the production of sails and masts must be designated.

Tell me what you think!  ;)
I would disgaree on the warship.  Early warship (circa 1400s) are simply ramming ships, there's next to no ship to ship weapon at that time (other then "marines" and archers trained to storm other ships).  Although it is reasonable to assume that you can mount a ballista on the ship.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:52:11 pm »

I would disgaree on the warship.  Early warship (circa 1400s) are simply ramming ships, there's next to no ship to ship weapon at that time (other then "marines" and archers trained to storm other ships).  Although it is reasonable to assume that you can mount a ballista on the ship.
Actually, the Greeks had small ships with "Greek Fire," a kind of flammable liquid, launchers mounted on them, and the Romans had massive warships that held balistas.
Or are our dwarfs in the "Dark ages" caused by the fall of the great empires and the loss of great knowledge?

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:41:13 pm »

I would be pretty happy simply to see ships in worldgen and as traders. During worldgen, civs will send out ships to colonize islands or continents, setting up seaside towns and cities. Such cities will each have a pier, at which ships will dock. Ship-to-ship battles may also occur. 

In fortress mode, if you are near the sea or large lake, you may build a pier over the water. Ships from any civilization with a seaside settlement near that lake/sea will send merchant ships, the same way you currently get caravans. Hostile civilizations will send ships full of invaders, landing then at the shore.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:55:03 pm »

If I know the laws of buoyancy, then this could happen: I make my fortress with a wide enough bottom so it will float, and I can have a mobile platform from which I may conquer the seas... You elves aren't safe on your precious island...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:27:53 am »

I just had an image of a giant floating mountain powered by perpetual motion waterwheels and pincushioned with ballistas floating slowly across the sea.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:27:52 am »

But this isnt historical, this is DF. Man why do you people always go there.  :P
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 06:53:23 am »

But this isnt historical, this is DF. Man why do you people always go there.  :P
Suspension of disbelief, atmosphere, and game balance.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 09:50:26 am »

The reaso why ships aren't in the game is rotation. They will look ridiculous when a 60+ tile ship can only move in the orthogonals and diagonals. And I don't think moving tiles are in yet.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 11:00:52 am »

Yes but dwarves can move diagonally so rotation is just like drawing and angle line in paint only the pixels would be tiles, I made a thread on it I think and about cranes.

TTTTTT

T
TTTTT

TT
TTTT

etc

T=tile

Would work for rotaion.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:52 pm »

Ships, especially for coastal embark sites, seem like a great idea.

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:44:02 pm »

I agree that ships should only be used like wagons: both for embarking and for trade caravans. That way you can still trade with nations that have coastal cities, even if you are on some remote island.

Seeing as we don't even have mounts right now, I see making our own ships (or even wagons) to be too much to ask right now.

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 03:07:04 pm »

Some one forgot to mention that dwarves are "historically" *cough* prone to sea sickness, and couldn't dwarf a boat even with a crossbow held to their beards.

Though I find the possibility of constructing an obsidian boat quite fascinating...just to find out how many dwarves it takes to attempt to row the boat across the lake before it sinks. :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 04:00:15 pm »

I don't care if this has been suggested to death(or not, I don't know), I want ships dammit!

What you need to understand is that this is not a place to complain about unimplemented features.  It's for contributing ideas.  You contribute ideas effectively by first researching other people's ideas -- you are NEVER the first -- and finding ways that you can add on to them, rather than simply restating them.  When you post something that's already been suggested, you're wasting time making Toady re-read ideas that he already read two years ago (and probably thought of six years ago).  You also waste your own time, but that's okay.

Threads that you should read before posting a boats thread:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3641.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=23676.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3464.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=26042.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3246.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5880.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3888.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3647.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=6085.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5196.0

If your purpose is just to express how much you want boats, you can start a vote here and use this thread to let people know about it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:03:48 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6