Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Ships & Boats  (Read 19456 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Ships & Boats
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 04:57:26 pm »

But if you build a raft and place it in a river, the carp might chew through it, or the dwarf might jump out to engage it, or something equally stupid Dwarven. Besides, wouldn't any dwarf, upon entering the ship, proceed to cover the floor in his last meal like a cave adapted drunk in the sunlight?
So humans can't have boats?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:57:10 pm »

I don't care if this has been suggested to death(or not, I don't know), I want ships dammit!

That isn't going to endear you to anyone...

Anyway, there's huge technical concerns here, depending on how big you want ships to be.  If you want a two-tile-long rowboat, that almost works.  But longer than that IS a problem, because rotation IS a problem, even if you allow boats to go kind of sideways from how they are pointed.  You can't bend the ship by offsetting certain tiles like in Alfie's suggestion, either...because suddenly, tiles that were previously ajacent diagonally, are now no longer ajacent at all.  Bad juju.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 05:58:15 pm »

Due to the limitations of Ships as a whole perhaps they should just be 3 by 3 like Wagons.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 04:55:01 am »

Perhaps a 3x1 canoe could act as if it was a 1x1 creature, and a 9x3 ship like a 6x6 water wagon. Basically, the length of the side of the square used to simulate ship movement will be 2 tiles less than maximum length of the ship.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:57:14 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 04:49:41 am »

I had an email discussion about this recently and I didn't see any posts of mine in the threads Footkerchief linked (though I've said it elsewhere), so I figured I'd say it again.  We'd like to have larger ships, something 16x5 with a 3 tile wide deck and multiple z levels would be fine.  And yeah, there are a few problems.

With the improved sieges (sometime soon after this release, likely) will come a different and more properly supported notion of a moving vehicle (say, a siege tower), likely as a set of tiles handled something like constructions, but with the ability to move as a unit (along with any creatures or items in their tiles).

Now, boats can move along any heading in a near perfect approximation (over over up over over up etc., maybe using the guts of the standard line drawing algorithm, etc.) but the main issue is displayed facing.  There are issues with any rotation idea I've heard of that does more than 4 directions.  The shearing row by row idea in alfie's post for example has issues with flows coming in along the diagonals (especially in a multi-story ship), and that there's still going to be a fundamental flip once you hit 45 degrees anyway.  The flows might be plugged up with temporary tiles along the new diagonals or something, but that might lead to temporary floors for items that then disappear or something.  There are a lot of issues.

There's also the idea of just using 4 directions for the boat (it can move in many more directions, but it can actually only sit in 4 directions).  This leads to teleportation and displacement problems, but these aren't necessarily deal breakers, especially if you add a requirement that the ship must have a free space underneath any tile (so water critters and swimmers can just be pushed down a tile instead of teleported across the ship, which isn't so different from what would happen if you get run over).  You can also deal with the ship flipping back and forth between two directions by instituting some buffer versus the actual facing, so that crossing from 30 degrees to 45 doesn't change you from east to north, but you have to actually get to 60 or so first.  Then once your ship shoots up to north, you have to go all the way back to 30 to get it back to east, which gives you a 30 degree difference so you can't just flip back and forth.  Flips need to be minimized not only because they are ugly, but especially with issues like wrestling and stuck-ins, they can be fundamentally messy and game-breaking (say a guy on deck is holding a crew member who is dangling overboard while a sea serpent is chomping on the dangling guy's leg and then the boat turns, and the sea serpent is hooked to a post underwater, etc. -- you'd probably want to break the chain of creatures and buildings at the weakest link, but it might be a net not a chain, etc etc etc).

Anyway, things are possible in dwarf mode, but the idea here was more for adventure mode and the necessity of boats there.  If boats never make it into dwarf mode it wouldn't particularly bother me, since we are talking about dwarves, but I wouldn't rule anything out.  I'm starting from an adv mode perspective here though, since it would obviously be a lot of fun to do things like epic voyages and piracy.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 03:31:20 pm »

Wow, I was just going to come in here and throw in my vote for civilizations and caravans using boats. Glad to see that plans for large vehicles are actually being seriously considered.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »

I had an email discussion about this recently and I didn't see any posts of mine in the threads Footkerchief linked (though I've said it elsewhere), so I figured I'd say it again.  We'd like to have larger ships, something 16x5 with a 3 tile wide deck and multiple z levels would be fine.  And yeah, there are a few problems.

With the improved sieges (sometime soon after this release, likely) will come a different and more properly supported notion of a moving vehicle (say, a siege tower), likely as a set of tiles handled something like constructions, but with the ability to move as a unit (along with any creatures or items in their tiles).

Now, boats can move along any heading in a near perfect approximation (over over up over over up etc., maybe using the guts of the standard line drawing algorithm, etc.) but the main issue is displayed facing.  There are issues with any rotation idea I've heard of that does more than 4 directions.  The shearing row by row idea in alfie's post for example has issues with flows coming in along the diagonals (especially in a multi-story ship), and that there's still going to be a fundamental flip once you hit 45 degrees anyway.  The flows might be plugged up with temporary tiles along the new diagonals or something, but that might lead to temporary floors for items that then disappear or something.  There are a lot of issues.

There's also the idea of just using 4 directions for the boat (it can move in many more directions, but it can actually only sit in 4 directions).  This leads to teleportation and displacement problems, but these aren't necessarily deal breakers, especially if you add a requirement that the ship must have a free space underneath any tile (so water critters and swimmers can just be pushed down a tile instead of teleported across the ship, which isn't so different from what would happen if you get run over).  You can also deal with the ship flipping back and forth between two directions by instituting some buffer versus the actual facing, so that crossing from 30 degrees to 45 doesn't change you from east to north, but you have to actually get to 60 or so first.  Then once your ship shoots up to north, you have to go all the way back to 30 to get it back to east, which gives you a 30 degree difference so you can't just flip back and forth.  Flips need to be minimized not only because they are ugly, but especially with issues like wrestling and stuck-ins, they can be fundamentally messy and game-breaking (say a guy on deck is holding a crew member who is dangling overboard while a sea serpent is chomping on the dangling guy's leg and then the boat turns, and the sea serpent is hooked to a post underwater, etc. -- you'd probably want to break the chain of creatures and buildings at the weakest link, but it might be a net not a chain, etc etc etc).

Anyway, things are possible in dwarf mode, but the idea here was more for adventure mode and the necessity of boats there.  If boats never make it into dwarf mode it wouldn't particularly bother me, since we are talking about dwarves, but I wouldn't rule anything out.  I'm starting from an adv mode perspective here though, since it would obviously be a lot of fun to do things like epic voyages and piracy.

It sounds to me like your long term plans for the game are incompatible with an ASCII based tileset.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 07:58:14 pm by diefortheswarm »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 09:52:08 pm »

I don't think so.  The 4-directional model has some challenges, but they are easy compared to anything else I've seen proposed, and it makes the pathfinding/projectiles/etc. between the vehicle and its surroundings automatic (since everything exists in the same map space).

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 04:40:37 pm »

What about the wagons? They are multi-tile, so couldn't they serve as a basis to work off of? And given how much seafood i always end up buying from the humans (not to mention the crates upon crates of fish and shark leather!), we definitely do need an in-game explanation for how they get it. I seriously doubt they WRESTLE carp to get all that carp leather, after all.

As for dwarves getting seasick...dwarv es in most settings aren't anywhere NEAR the sea, at least in what I've read. And for the record, Tolkien's dwarves did just fine in barrels, if they were a little on the grumpy side afterwards. But who wouldn't be after having sat in a barrel for a day or so? I definitely see the dwarves building a massive warship to go and get at elves who mandate treecap limits from an island.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

L0rd_ZOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:31 pm »

Dwarf fortress != Dwarf Pirates

Adventure mode maybe, but not fortress mode.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »

Wagons are multi-tile, but they can't support any items or creatures actually being placed on them in any meaningful way, so the siege engine rewrite I mentioned still needs to be done.  Wagons will probably be updated to the new system at some point during that process, with the view that boats could also eventually be supported by the same system.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:37 pm »

Will the siege engines contain strategically placed fortifications?
This is complicated. Man, I can't even imagine it.

Dwarves do not do ships often in my opinion.  I'm sure they run like clockwork, but not very often.  Elves do something involving giant turtles.  Blah blah.

Ship headings:  Maybe a 45 degree ship also?  It would need something to prevent it from flooding like that...

Graph paper time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 07:56:25 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »

I guess it would really be up to you.  The interface could be painful as usual, but there's no reason why you couldn't make a multi-story monstrosity siege tower on wheels tile by tile and then roll it around.

I don't understand "n/4".

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:08 pm »

It's Pi/4.  45 degrees. Sorry.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 08:03:04 pm »

Would it be possible to predefine the shape of a ship (heading in any given compass direction) & the relative locations of any space on board for each direction? The player (adventure mode) would switch between them from the steering wheel. As ship direction shifts, each dwarf / item / other on board would be moved to the "same" location on the next predefined ship / shape.

At it's most basic
X=boat tile
D=Dwarf
W=wheel

East facing:
XXXX
XDWXX
XXXX

South Facing:
XXX
XDX
XWX
XXX
 X
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6