Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2fort in DF  (Read 2809 times)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2fort in DF
« on: May 06, 2009, 05:38:36 pm »

Today in Trig I had an idea for an epic project:

Recreating the 2fort map from Team Fortress 2 in Dwarf Fortress.

Maybe I could even make it so Goblins are RED and Dwarfs are BLU and they fight each other in it.

Awesome y/n?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: 2fort in DF
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:47:01 pm »

Our intelligence has been captured! Curse them!
 Urist McMechanic cancels make traps: Interrupted by goblin scout.
 A spy! Protect the intelligence from the skulking filth!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »

id like if blu guys be dwarves so tat teh boine guys coudl fite the mace gobbs

EDIT:  Sure why not.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 06:12:05 pm »

Epic.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:23 pm »

It's 2fort in DF every time someone doesn't bother to build a military and instead just puts down traps traps traps.  10 serrated steel blades = level 3 sentry.

Goblin master thief sappin' mah weapon trap!
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:15:46 pm »

Demogoblins keep coming along to trash them though. You try keeping a sentry up for more than 5 minutes against a competent team.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:16:52 pm »

Heh, I listened to this song while playing DF: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/199958
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:10 pm »

Sounds like it may be bad for frames though.  All the lower levels(the sewers) would need to be flooded with 1 or 2 deep water that would never stabilize, draining frames.  The whole area under the bridge would probably have to stack the water on top of an existing 7/7 deep water as well.

And what about the tiny variations in elevation?  Each side has that room in the sewers that opposing engies like to covertly set teleporters up in.  That can't be more than a foot above the water level but it is completely dry.  Considering that the water in the sewer is 2 deep at best how can this be done accurately?

Of course I'm not trying to persuade against this, I am an avid TF2 player and would be happy to see 2Turtle Dwarfized.  I'm already seeing scoutgobbos running along the top of the bridge with sniperdwarves picking them off. With 6 mechanics smacking their sentries with wrenches in the intel room waiting to be taken out with one ubercharged demogoblin.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 01:36:45 pm »

I already know I won't be able to make a 1:1 perfect representation of 2fort. I'm going to get some graphing paper and whip up some basic blueprints so I have a plan.

I was thinking the water could be carefully filled to 4/7 levels so creatures could still cross it. I might fudge the sewers to have 1/7 water or none at all.

Building 2fort is probably the easy part if I take on the daunting task of organising a Dwarf-Goblin match. Doing that is definatly going to require some imagination on the user's part as unless I want to mod everything in I won't be able to have all the team in there.

That said, maybe I could throw together some Fire Imp pyros, have a Marksdwarf with 200 arrows and a rapid fire crossbow as the Heavy, a dwarf with a speed buff for the Scout. Perhaps bolts could be modded to create smoke and blowback to make the Soldier!

I'll just settle for making the map for now. At least I only have to design one side of the map.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 02:06:31 pm »

SPY BE SAPPING MAH WEAPON TRAPS.

Not that I play TF2 since it sucks. (In my eyes, I don't really give a crap if you think its good)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:14:32 pm »

Not that I play TF2 since I think it sucks. (In my eyes, I don't really give a crap if you think its good)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 04:25:16 pm »

Not that I play TF2 since it sucks. (In my eyes, I don't really give a crap if you think its good)

Cool post, Rilder

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »

Isn't it awesome?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 05:09:05 pm »

Not that I play TF2 since I think it sucks. (In my eyes, I don't really give a crap if you think its good)

Are you positing that in addition to subjective suck, dependent on the observers opinions, there is also OBJECTIVE suck? Something that sucks so bad that it is PHILOSOPHICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to argue that it doesn't suck? Well, thank you for clarifying that if such a thing exists, Team Fortress 2 isn't it.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 05:28:02 pm »

Are you positing that in addition to subjective suck, dependent on the observers opinions, there is also OBJECTIVE suck? Something that sucks so bad that it is PHILOSOPHICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to argue that it doesn't suck? Well, thank you for clarifying that if such a thing exists, Team Fortress 2 isn't it.

You're welcome.
Pages: [1] 2