Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Homemade weapons  (Read 3192 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Homemade weapons
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 06:28:19 pm »

How about interacting with a table and getting ability to break up and pick up one of the legs or flat surface.

Damage increases with the quality.

This exact thing is in the devnotes.

Varkarrus, stop posting threads until you learn to search.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 06:30:58 pm »

First of all, Imagine you are in the wilderness, being chased by a beach. You are completly unarmed. Then, you sea a see urchin on the end of a stick. Would you rather fight the beast with your bare hands?

Yes.  My bare hands are well-balanced for fighting, and I'm novice with them (like every kid should become when growing up, at least).

Besides, haven't you ever played Adventure?
] There is a dragon here.
> kill dragon
] What, with your bare hands?!
> yes
] Okay.  You kill the dragon...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:21 pm »

(Plus Alchemists fire doesn't exist in Dwarf Fortress... that is a Dungeons and Dragons mixture)
It is a logical name for a real-world weapon, in a world where there aren't any "greeks".  I think it should definitely be added eventually.

(However, the point is moot as we have liquid fire in the game already.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 10:22:41 pm »

A plain oaken table leg shouldn't do less damage than a masterfully carved one.
If anything, the masterwork table leg should do less damage because the more you carve something, the less mass, and hence force, would be provided

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:46 pm »

How about interacting with a table and getting ability to break up and pick up one of the legs or flat surface.

At the risk of stating the completely obvious, damage increases with quality for weapons because weapons are designed to do damage. By definition, a high-quality weapon is good at doing damage.

A high-quality table leg is a different story.

You combine the sea urchin and the stick to create a sea urchin mace. You are now no longer unarmed.

That's stupid.

That's not constructive.

I'll be more specific, then.

Sea urchins (1) don't weigh very much and (2) break easily. The idea of tying one to a stick as a weapon is obviously based on the assumption that anything "spiky" can be put on a stick to make a mace. Maces don't work like that. Sea urchins don't work like that. Please do a little bit of research. I know it's only an example, but think about what it demonstrates. If you illustrate your feature with janky, cheesy, implausible things like the Sea Urchin Onna Stick Mace, you show that it's good for making the game suck more.

Don't tell us the Promised Land is flowing with milk and vomit, and then say "vomit is just an example, it could flow with other things".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:55:53 pm »

You forgot 3) Sea Urchans are small! That is why they are so dangerous. (also I don't go to many beaches with Sea Urchans lying around.

Anyhow the idea of an Improvised weapon is that you need something to be a handle and something to be the "Weight"

Improvised weapons are Weight based Bashing weapons unless you use the claws, teeth, or other natural weaponry body part of other creatures.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:57:29 pm by Neonivek »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 12:10:43 am »

Regardless of Varkarrus's bad 'example', the idea of improvisational weapons is already in the devnotes.   

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 03:07:36 am »

When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 07:33:55 am »

(Plus Alchemists fire doesn't exist in Dwarf Fortress... that is a Dungeons and Dragons mixture)
It is a logical name for a real-world weapon, in a world where there aren't any "greeks".  I think it should definitely be added eventually.

(However, the point is moot as we have liquid fire in the game already.)

I propose that it be called 'dwarven fire'. While, admittedly, dwarves and fire don't mix very well, dwarves are the race most likely to come up with the concoction, since they already have alchemists, steel and experience with magma.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 09:09:46 am »

I'll be more specific, then.

Sea urchins (1) don't weigh very much and (2) break easily. The idea of tying one to a stick as a weapon is obviously based on the assumption that anything "spiky" can be put on a stick to make a mace. Maces don't work like that. Sea urchins don't work like that. Please do a little bit of research. I know it's only an example, but think about what it demonstrates. If you illustrate your feature with janky, cheesy, implausible things like the Sea Urchin Onna Stick Mace, you show that it's good for making the game suck more.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny

At least I got a really big laugh out of the thought of someone sticking a sea urchin on the end of a stick to make a mace anyway.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 05:38:31 pm »

First of all, Imagine you are in the wilderness, being chased by a beach.

Oh happy, happy mental imagery.  :D

"AAAHHH!!!!!"

*runs through a forest, arms flailing, as the ground behind him turns into sand with a wave following. Trees spontaneously transform into palm trees and beach umbrellas as the sand reaches them and then yachts and surfboards as the water reaches them*

"I didn't bring any sunscreen!"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:40:42 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 07:05:25 pm »

I'm willing to bet this is on Toady's list. Even if it's not on the official list, it's probably already in his mind.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 07:52:47 pm »

If anything, the masterwork table leg should do less damage because the more you carve something, the less mass, and hence force, would be provided
Being masterfully carved doesn't necessarily mean less mass.  It could mean more in some cases, even, such as when a newb tries too hard to make it look nice and cuts too much away.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 03:22:45 am »

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Nabic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 01:34:28 am »

Being masterfully carved doesn't necessarily mean less mass.  It could mean more in some cases, even, such as when a newb tries too hard to make it look nice and cuts too much away.
If you view table legs as rectangular prisms, then they would be sharper, and thus be more likely to deal extra damage and cut your own hands as they became more masterful.

If you view table legs as cylinders, then there would be less accuracy, and more likely to drop the weapon, as the cylinder would be more smooth.

Also, weight should vary more as farther from masterful, because thye cuoold be extra large, or extra small.
Pages: 1 [2] 3