Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravan/migrant entrance direction  (Read 1112 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan/migrant entrance direction
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:04:24 am »

Is there a way to tell what side of the screen caravans and migrants will come from before they appear for the first time? I'm building a gatehouse type thing with a ramp leading down to my depot, and I would prefer that the gatehouse is facing the right direction.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Caravan/migrant entrance direction
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:07:19 am »

They come from whatever direction they are able to, so if you limit the places they can enter from then you can easily predict where they'll show up.
Otherwise it's completely random, as far as I know.
Though, the caravans could just, you know, drive around your castle/gatehouse to the entrance of it if they appear on the wrong side. :P

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 12:17:27 am »

They come from whatever direction they are able to, so if you limit the places they can enter from then you can easily predict where they'll show up.
Otherwise it's completely random, as far as I know.
Though, the caravans could just, you know, drive around your castle/gatehouse to the entrance of it if they appear on the wrong side. :P
Well, I'm on a completely flat desert and I'm too busy making my fort to block off a bunch of stuff.
I'll just guess. I know they'll do that, but for aesthetic and efficiency purposes I'd rather have it be on the correct side.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 12:43:57 am »

Direction isn't important, just make yourself sure that there's clear path (minimum 3 squares wide) to one of the map boundaries.
When you clear out trees there, you can mark that way as stockpile and disable all things in it - this will help supress sudden tree growth/wayblocking.
Finis sanctificat media.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:46:46 am »

So long as you have that 3-tile wide path, the caravan will stop and path there.

So long as you have ~any~ path, both migrants and the spring elf caravan will path there.

You can open a secondary path (via retractable-/draw- bridges) after they hit the map and cut their travel time (or otherwise manipulate their path). 

You can even have two TD's - one as "bait" and one as the final destination - HOWEVER, I understand (haven't tested it personally) that if you have two "accessible" TD's, neither one will be recognized.  You have to shut down the path to any more than one, however you choose to do that - if that is correct.

(I'm sure someone will come along with first-hand knowledge on this and support/refute me on that point, and I'll be happy to see it, one way or the other.)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:48:37 am »

You can even have two TD's - one as "bait" and one as the final destination - HOWEVER, I understand (haven't tested it personally) that if you have two "accessible" TD's, neither one will be recognized.
Wrong. Once i've had a row of 5 TDs (drowning chambers ;-)) and merchants goes for the first or second nearest if the first is occupied by another caravan.

You have to shut down the path to any more than one, however you choose to do that - if that is correct.
Just forbid three material blocks the TD is built of - and nobody will look at that TD.
Finis sanctificat media.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 05:56:47 pm »

No, I know all the requirements for depot access (I've been playing DF since the first 3d version).

I was just wondering if there was a way to predetermine the direction/border traders and such would come from.

But since you can't, don't worry about it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:17 pm »

I was just wondering if there was a way to predetermine the direction/border traders and such would come from.

Yes. If there is only one place they can spawn and still get to your trade depot, that is where they will enter the map.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 12:20:59 am »

Everybody is just repeating what I told him. :(

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 01:25:20 am »

Well here, I'll just quote you. It makes me feel cool.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 01:33:44 am »

No, everybody is just repeating what you told him.

(It's all the rage, I hear.)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 01:38:16 am »

Double qoute! Double cool! ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 01:40:48 am »

Wooo!

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 03:39:55 am »

No, I know all the requirements for depot access (I've been playing DF since the first 3d version).

But since you can't, don't worry about it.
In some maps I actually take the time to channel 3 of 4 map edges to have only 1 tile... the unremovable edge tile.
Only even then I am afraid that both the smaller caravans and the imigrants mostly arrive randomly.
The only place the traders and imigrants dont enter the map is on the other side of a non-passable river.

Once I even had imigrants ariving on the channeled sides edge with a total of 6 tiles between trees... and then getting an ambush only shortly after the first imigrant arrives on the map on those same 6 tiles.
Was fun to watch, but not so fun to lose all the imigrants.

It would however be nice to be allowed to select an entry point, or entry edge to better predict the side the visitors are comming from.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 09:56:23 am »

Wooo!
Look at all this coolness going on ITT!
Pages: [1] 2