Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A 5 second to code suggestion..  (Read 1860 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
A 5 second to code suggestion..
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

Toady, could you make it, so the civ raw flag [OUTDOOR_FARMING] also enabled you to build farm plots on outdoor mud? With the rewalling from the next release, it's all we need to make a humans playable or similar only by modding the raws!

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
Re: A 5 second to code suggestion..
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

Thumbs up, good suggestion... ?
  Maybe its already in  :)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

It would almost certainly have to be in, otherwise it'd likely cause too much trouble later on...

Of course, you could always rewall you own hut for growing underground plants, anyways; assuming that 'underground' is 'this tile cannot see the sky'

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

I'm no computer magician like Toady but I'm 100% sure this is in no way a 'five second to code' suggestion.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

I agree, would probably take longer than that to open his development environment   :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 12:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>I'm no computer magician like Toady but I'm 100% sure this is in no way a 'five second to code' suggestion.</STRONG>

This is true.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »

It's probably more along the lines of finding and changing all 20 places in the code that prevents farm plots from being outdoors, on top of other stuff, etc than adding new lines

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by axus:
<STRONG>It's probably more along the lines of finding and changing all 20 places in the code that prevents farm plots from being outdoors, on top of other stuff, etc than adding new lines</STRONG>

That's what I meant with 5 seconds. Of course it would take much longer if you added things such as needing sunshine, etc.. but just making they act like indoor farmplots (but be able to plant outdoor stuff such as berries, rope reed, instead of plump helmets) would be simple

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 11:15:00 am »

Not knowing how the game is designed I can't say for sure, but I'm inclined to believe it's going to be a little more complicated than five seconds. There could be several things interacting to prevent farming outside, and there could be several things depending on farming being impossible outside. There could even be more than Toady himself knows (which is how bugs appear)...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nite/m4re:
<STRONG>

That's what I meant with 5 seconds. Of course it would take much longer if you added things such as needing sunshine, etc.. but just making they act like indoor farmplots (but be able to plant outdoor stuff such as berries, rope reed, instead of plump helmets) would be simple</STRONG>

Some guidelines that seem to be common on game website suggestion areas include:
-Don't make comments implementation unless you have expertise in programming.
-Don't make assumptions about the difficulty of implementing a particular suggestion unless you have access to the source code.

I'm not trying to be an ass. Really. These guidelines just make sense if you think about it.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

Regardless of the dificulty, this would be great. Are there plans to make humans playable? What about goblins, elves and whatever else? With rewalling many of my ideas seem to be more human than dwarven. (castles/citadels, mainly)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

I dunno about you guys, but I am dying to play as humans, goblins, and kobolds... Well, not at the same time, obviously.

And I'd absolutely love playing as ratmen. I remember having a thread about that before...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 02:16:00 pm »

Aren't all those mutants like frogmen and ratmen [SIZE:3]?
Or at least frogmen.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 02:46:00 pm »

Are rat/bat/frogmen even sentient?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 08:42:00 pm »

I don't think it would be take 5 seconds to code, but I doubt it would take more than a couple hours. That is assuming he hasn't already done it. Toady did say a few things about redefining how the differnce between outside and inside is handled.
Pages: [1] 2