Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wait, so what DO those dashes mean?  (Read 1681 times)

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wait, so what DO those dashes mean?
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:29:31 pm »

While my experience with actually playing a lasting game of DF is limited, my experience with embarking is a lot more abundant.

So far, I have always assumed that the red dashes on the 'neighbours' screen during embark means that they are hostiles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However, after playing some adventure mode, it struck me as odd that I could usually just talk to the goblins and the orcs, in various worlds...

Which made me wonder what those dashes do in fact mean. I've gone and embarked right on top of some Dark Fortresses (be they orcish or goblinesque) with 7 wrestler/hammerdwarf/novice ambusher dwarves, expecting to have some fun fights (got tired of waiting for sieges at my actual fortresses) but instead of fighting I could happily walk into the fortresses and dance around the orcs and goblins like they were my best friends...  ???
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, so what DO those dashes mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:34:04 pm »

They mean that those civilizations are hostile.

Not sure how it affects Adventurer mode.

Also, because of a bug, if you embark on a hostile location, they all become instantly friendly, instead of trying to murder your Dwarves instantly.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:48 pm »

Only civilizations that are in an active state of war actually automatically attack each other in Adventure mode. And I, too, have sustained attacks from goblin civs and went to those same civs in Adv mode without any hostility.

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 07:41:57 am »

Also, because of a bug, if you embark on a hostile location, they all become instantly friendly, instead of trying to murder your Dwarves instantly.

that made me so sad when i found out.

when i embarked with 5 axedwarves and two miners...
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:44:23 am »

that made me so sad when i found out.

when i embarked with 5 axedwarves and two miners...

It's best to embark with 7 miners, and mine out the entire first floor of a tower, watch it smash to the ground and kill and maim whoever's inside.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 04:17:14 pm »

The DF equivalent of "nuking them from orbit".

I'd suggest that the red dashes imply being at war with a civilization, not a race.  So one dwarf group might be friendly, and the other actively at war.

In adventure mode, you are not (afaik) innately tied to any civ, just a race.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:33:06 pm »

The red lines are a hack Toady put in. Any Item or Baby stealing race will be 'hostile' to you, in that they'll send thieves, ambushes, and sieges at you. Only effects Fortress Mode, though, and only external groups. So any group you embark on will be friendly.

It's just there until he finishes up the Army arc work that'll provide real diplomacy between groups. Otherwise, you'd never have anyone to fight.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 09:32:29 pm »

I see it this way: while the civilization itself isn't at war with you, there will still be "unaligned" raiding parties, ranging in size from single babysnatchers to full sieges, that come from the general direction of a nearby goblin fortress.

But yeah, it's a placeholder until Toady fixes the system.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:31:48 am »

I see it this way: while the civilization itself isn't at war with you, there will still be "unaligned" raiding parties, ranging in size from single babysnatchers to full sieges, that come from the general direction of a nearby goblin fortress.
And just happen to displace the trading parties.. and by coincidence are led by site leaders?