Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zeno Clash  (Read 2874 times)

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Zeno Clash: Gamespot reviewer totally misses the boat.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 09:24:46 am »

I am comparing. I don't like first person shooters... why would I like one that functions on almost the same level without shooting?

Because...they don't "function on almost the same level"? You don't shoot things. It's not a shooter. World of Warcraft has a first-person view, does that mean it "functions on almost the same level" as a shooter?

Though it is more comparible to Oblivion if blows actually had force behind them and I found that game to be a bit Love Hate... and the combat was more on the "Hate" end of the spectrum.

Not sure what you mean by blows having force. If you mean getting knocked about when people hit you, then yes, that would be pretty cool.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 01:23:39 pm »

I played the demo and liked it. The combat feels really immersing and is quite fun. The setting and plot will probably keep me interested if I decide to buy the full game. Which I probably will. Holidays start soonish and I rather pay 20$ for a indie game and donate the rest to DF than pay 50$ for some mainstream turd.

I definitely recommend trying the demo to anyone. Most people get a love/hate reaction when facing Zeno Clash, for me it was the former.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 01:36:57 pm »

Donate 50 bucks to toady instead.

The game basically consists of repetitive arena rounds, long road scenarios where you are forced to use the ranged weapons, and a couple boss fights.

There's a little maze in between and an annoying light torch thing-weapon which you can completely dismiss as being just one more annoyance you have to pass through to see the ending, which is much like a certain stupid show that finishes in the middle of sentences, much lik.....

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »

What, like Candlejack?  Because that meme is so tired and playe
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:30:08 am »

Donate 50 bucks to toady instead.

The game basically consists of repetitive arena rounds, long road scenarios where you are forced to use the ranged weapons, and a couple boss fights.

There's a little maze in between and an annoying light torch thing-weapon which you can completely dismiss as being just one more annoyance you have to pass through to see the ending, which is much like a certain stupid show that finishes in the middle of sentences, much lik.....

I found the torch pretty cool.  I don't know what your problem is with it.  It's a hell of allot more useful than that stupid Flashlight in Doom 3 what with it's ability to whack things, shoot fireballs, and absorb enemy projectiles...  There's exactly one rail shooter section, which is admittedly weak, but you're totally exaggerating to make the game seem worse than it is.  Do you have some grudge or something?  Let me see if I can figure out what you're doing here.

Ok, so there's this game called Portal right?  And all you do is repetitive puzzles that all involve making portals on walls and walking through them, then there's these parts where you have to put a box on a button to hold it down while you go through a door.  And there's these turrets that shoot at you, and then there's this part where you have to carry around this block which you can totally dismiss as being just one more annoyance you have to pass through to see the ending, which is just like, you beat the boss and then that it...
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:57:50 pm »

If it had GLaDOS, I'd love it.

Portal gives me a headache from the low FoV angle and having to turn around all the time to see the same bland textures, to be honest. But it was amusing in between and the ending wasn't a "Continues.... maybe?". Zeno made me entertained at first, but then highly annoyed by the repetitiveness of ai behavior and scenarios using the same approach as they did before, the enemies aren't even fun to kill, they're more annoying than anything else, like the crab for example.

Also you're entitled to your opinion and portal is exactly what you said (even tho it was a mock of what I said), except you didn't mention GLaDOS, which was the main reason I liked portal as a comparative example. Zeno really lacked that for me and so did HL2(all of them).

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 12:49:12 am »

If it had GLaDOS, I'd love it.

Portal gives me a headache from the low FoV angle and having to turn around all the time to see the same bland textures, to be honest. But it was amusing in between and the ending wasn't a "Continues.... maybe?". Zeno made me entertained at first, but then highly annoyed by the repetitiveness of ai behavior and scenarios using the same approach as they did before, the enemies aren't even fun to kill, they're more annoying than anything else, like the crab for example.

Also you're entitled to your opinion and portal is exactly what you said (even tho it was a mock of what I said), except you didn't mention GLaDOS, which was the main reason I liked portal as a comparative example. Zeno really lacked that for me and so did HL2(all of them).

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but not all people's opinions are as valuable as others.  That's why I was imitating your argument style against Portal.  Since it revealed that you don't like Portal (except for GLaDOS) and don't like HL2, it seems like you don't like action games overall, so your opinion of a specific one loses allot of value. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:58:40 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 01:51:52 am »

*shrugs* I wasn't giving my opinion to you and I like action games, just not the most stuck up ones. I liked portal but it wasn't much more than what you said, mockingly. I'm an also avid tf2 player for example.

Furthermore, saying it seems I don't like action games overall falls down into a well known fallacy. If you're going to judge me for my opinion, at least do so based on the subject at hand. Being pissy over it and advertising my opinion as lower because I don't like a couple games really wont make it look good for either of us.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

*shrugs* I wasn't giving my opinion to you and I like action games, just not the most stuck up ones. I liked portal but it wasn't much more than what you said, mockingly. I'm an also avid tf2 player for example.

Furthermore, saying it seems I don't like action games overall falls down into a well known fallacy. If you're going to judge me for my opinion, at least do so based on the subject at hand. Being pissy over it and advertising my opinion as lower because I don't like a couple games really wont make it look good for either of us.

I don't think there's a point in arguing with you at this point, you see things as bad that I don't.  I'm just trying to figure out what your real problem with the game is.  Now I think I understand.  You view it as "stuck up", whatever that means, and that makes you view it negatively as apposed to TF2 which you for some reason don't view as "stuck up".  It's not that either game is vastly superior to the other in some way, it's just that one is "stuck up" and the other isn't.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:18:59 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 01:02:40 pm »

I don't think there's a point in arguing with you at this point, you see things as bad that I don't.
Thank you.

I don't want to be argued against my own opinion unless we sit down and go like, "Okay, soulwynd play the game again and tell me what you think this time." which is not going to happen any time soon. It's mostly due to the fact that I don't want to download & install it again, because I don't mind changing my opinion on things.

As for the stuck up matter, it's a colloquial term. Maybe I should have used the word haughty instead. Which they are, you know, for being both very simplistic FPS/action games. Even crysis tried to have more gameplay features than those two and I take it as being a tech demo for most part. I find TF2 to be fun because it's very carefree and at least has some diversity in the form of 'classes'. You can also guess I don't like counter strike and for my CS replacement I use Operation 7, which I have thread for in this forum somewhere if you wanna take a look.

Sorry I wasn't so clear, it was late and I was sleepy.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 02:53:00 am »

To coincide with the release of their new free DLC, which in this case is just a free content patch Zeno Clash is going to be 50% off this weekend.  If you were interested in trying it but didn't want to pay full price, now's a great time.

Pages: 1 [2]