Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zeno Clash  (Read 2875 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Zeno Clash
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:41:09 pm »

Zeno Clash has just recently been released.  It's a first person brawler set in a bizarre and surreal world, and Gamespot reviewer Brett Todd is on the job.  By apparently totally missing the point of a major group of characters.  Apparently the fact that the group of people described by the main character as insane are in fact literally psychotic is a major flaw in the game... So it seems we've come to the point where being unusual is in itself a flaw in a video game, congrats Gamespot.  You've once again proven your worthlessness.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/zenoclash/review.html

IGN on the other hand has a rather more reasonable review.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/976/976395p1.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:13:30 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zeno Clash: Gamespot reviewer totally misses the boat.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:41 pm »

Sounds like someone made some mistakes in the raws for that world.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:40:30 pm »

Sounds like someone made some mistakes in the raws for that world.

Maybe, but they'd have been DF awesome mistakes.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:31 pm »

I full-demoed it. Very short and not worth it. I regret even having demoed it.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:45:56 pm »

Perhaps the best comment that you could make about Zeno Clash is that it is a unique experience. You get plenty weirded out for the cut-rate Steam price of $20. This is no small feat in today's copycat gaming world, although the game relies too much on strangeness and not enough on diverse, interesting fighting action to be more than a briefly engaging curiosity.

So, all it relies upon is its setting to carry through its gameplay of fighting with fists, in a world where I can find tons of games where you can fight with fists. For free.

Gamestop surely missed the boat. It went to the cruise ship instead.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »

I full-demoed it. Very short and not worth it. I regret even having demoed it.
You said pretty much what I was going to say, except in roughly twenty less lines, with the exception being that I didn't demo it. I was bored one night and watched someone play it on ustream.

The whole "Mother-Father" bit just didn't interest me. It turned me off of the game, instead.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 07:51:04 pm »

Downloading the demo-demo(Filthy pirates...) on Steam.  If the combat is fun, I'll enjoy the demo, but I'm not buying it.  If the dialog is as bizarre as the review makes it out to be, it's gonna look hackish instead of interesting.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »

Apparently the fact that the group of people described by the main character as insane are in fact literally psychotic is a major flaw in the game

It can be a major flaw in the right context. Making a world incomprehensible on ordinary terms can simply alienate the player. Making everyone downright insane to the point where their actions don't seem to make any sense even on a metaphorical level is a flaw.

Though Id need to play the game to see if that is what is happening... however a First Person shooter where you arn't shooting isn't all that interesting to me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:37:36 pm »

Just played it, looks very good.  Like Dr. Seuss and Bosch had a baby, and that baby did way too much acid.
Shoes...

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 01:28:51 am »

The art direction was interesting. That's about it, though.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 01:42:06 am »

Apparently the fact that the group of people described by the main character as insane are in fact literally psychotic is a major flaw in the game

It can be a major flaw in the right context. Making a world incomprehensible on ordinary terms can simply alienate the player. Making everyone downright insane to the point where their actions don't seem to make any sense even on a metaphorical level is a flaw.

Though Id need to play the game to see if that is what is happening... however a First Person shooter where you arn't shooting isn't all that interesting to me.

It's not like that at all.  That's what I mean about the reviewer missing the boat.  There are a specific group of characters that are supposed to be psychotic and they're actually psychotic.  They're completely out of touch with reality.  The reviewer taking a specific quote completely out of context and trying to make it seem like it's representative of the entirety of the dialogue.  It's not, and not only that, but that dialogue makes sense in context.

It's not a first person shooter.  It's a brawler.  Just because it's first person doesn't mean it needs to be about projectile combat.  The gameplay itself I find to be challenging and satisfying for the most part, it could be better but so could everything.  It's really a matter of taste.  If you don't like what it's trying to do you won't like the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:46 am »

Like Dr. Seuss

I think you mean the artist of his books. Actual Dr. Seuss writing isn't so easy.

Just because it's first person doesn't mean it needs to be about projectile combat

I am comparing. I don't like first person shooters... why would I like one that functions on almost the same level without shooting? Though it is more comparible to Oblivion if blows actually had force behind them and I found that game to be a bit Love Hate... and the combat was more on the "Hate" end of the spectrum.

There are a specific group of characters that are supposed to be psychotic and they're actually psychotic

Such lack of Subtly. I guess he wanted to go with a modernistic method where the narrator/main character is unreliable where you can't take his words at face value.

You will notice that quite a lot of people often take everything characters say as true unless told otherwise oddly enough. (This comment is random)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:56 am »

It's because more than 99% of games always tell the truth, and nothing but the truth... (In terms of plot, and rumors.)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreMorons

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 04:15:35 am »

Like Dr. Seuss

I think you mean the artist of his books. Actual Dr. Seuss writing isn't so easy.

Um... Dr. Suess (Theodor Seuss Geisel) did all of his own art and writing for the children's books most of us are familiar with. He was a painter, sculptor, cartoonist, and writier of childrnes boks among other things. He did write lots of other stuff, usually under pen names.
I got nothing

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 05:51:30 am »

Heh, I've stopped paying attention to Gamespot reviews. Of all the game sites, Gamespot has the lowest credibility of all.. changing reviews in light of sponsors' complains, giving high budget games high ratings and only playing the unknowns for an hour. Not as bad in credibility as Something Awful or imsonia.ac.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:56:20 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2