Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orc Mod Overdose  (Read 4547 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
Orc Mod Overdose
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:59:26 pm »

I've installed the orc mod, and found that, rather than half the year, the sieges tend to wait about 11 months - or right until the next siege shows up.

Also, they've been ramping up even though their presence has stalled my glass tower.  I still only have the original 7 dwarves (no immigrants this season, 3 years in a row), and I'm currently besieged by 50 orcs.
Luckily, I had brought a bunch of animals for food and such, so bone bolts a-plenty, but I can't risk dwarven fatalities with such a low population, and there are more than a dozen orcish bowmen outside, including a legendary one, all of them with steel arrows and various bows.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

NegaDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orc Mod Overdose
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:12:04 pm »

There is only one solution:

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:20:14 pm »

dam you that was my idea  >:(

anyway, you could just change the strenght of the orcs or use multikilling tools like death bridge and drop them 10zlevels and maybe crush them with a drawbridge, thats the easiest at start.

i also have this problem so youre not alone.. :P
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:22:00 pm »

So the Orcs can't get in, right?

That means they've set up camp. Right?

Tunnel under the bowmen and collapse them. Climb the walls and shoot the rest.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:28:28 pm »

might not be feasible depending on where they're standing.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 05:31:12 pm »

might not be feasible depending on where they're standing.

High Failure % = Bonus points.
I have an art blog now.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 05:33:13 pm »

or whatabout.

Urist mcbraindead: hey lets give these rabid stupid monkeys a try to kill em.
Urist mcevenmorebraindead: that sure kill em, and why not try to get that sock while were at it.
Urist mcbraindead: thats a fabulous idea, lets do it.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:36:40 pm »

I've installed the orc mod, and found that, rather than half the year, the sieges tend to wait about 11 months - or right until the next siege shows up.
there are more than a dozen orcish bowmen outside, including a legendary one, all of them with steel arrows and various bows.

So, from the second part I can tell that you've modified the orcs somewhat, since they don't show up with steel arrows normally... But they would if you gave them [METAL_PREF]. Have you made any other modifications to them? I ask because getting them to consistently show up to siege when I gave them more active seasons was a large problem, but if you've solved that I'd like to try to get it into the next version. Probably in a 9-months-on fashion, rather than year-round, but more than the current 50%.

The orcs will ramp up based on the number of previous sieges, not wealth or immigrants, and that's unfortunately hardcoded.

As to dealing with them, I'd suggest a corridor angled to prevent the snipers from firing through it filled with spikes (green glass if nothing else, since you seem to have that). It will need to be fairly long, but it's one of the few consistent ways to deal with orcs without a large and well-trained military.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 06:55:42 pm »

There is only one solution:

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
I have no access to my magma, at present.  Otherwise, I would have done that already.

dam you that was my idea  >:(

anyway, you could just change the strenght of the orcs or use multikilling tools like death bridge and drop them 10zlevels and maybe crush them with a drawbridge, thats the easiest at start.

i also have this problem so youre not alone.. :P
I can't get enough materials to make such a thing right now, being besieged.  I'm trying very hard not to cheat and use my Free Wood reaction to build this tower more quickly.

I can't tunnel, as I have no picks.  This is one of my challenge games - I cannot break earth, and can only use glass to construct the tower.  I also have no metal or ores to use to make picks, were I to decide on that.

there are more than a dozen orcish bowmen outside, including a legendary one, all of them with steel arrows and various bows.

So, from the second part I can tell that you've modified the orcs somewhat, since they don't show up with steel arrows normally... But they would if you gave them [METAL_PREF]. Have you made any other modifications to them? I ask because getting them to consistently show up to siege when I gave them more active seasons was a large problem, but if you've solved that I'd like to try to get it into the next version. Probably in a 9-months-on fashion, rather than year-round, but more than the current 50%.

The orcs will ramp up based on the number of previous sieges, not wealth or immigrants, and that's unfortunately hardcoded.

As to dealing with them, I'd suggest a corridor angled to prevent the snipers from firing through it filled with spikes (green glass if nothing else, since you seem to have that). It will need to be fairly long, but it's one of the few consistent ways to deal with orcs without a large and well-trained military.
I gotta say, I'm not really a modder.  All I did was change them as you'd originally suggested in another thread to make them always at war with me (I wasn't thrilled at the orcish caravans, remember).  I didn't add anything else.  These orcs are otherwise unmodified, and I think, technically, they leave about one month before the next siege.

Also - I can't construct anything more until they leave, since my entire fortress is a 20x20 glass wall square, with an 18x18 room inside and a few parts of the next level's floor installed so I could build beds.  I'm great on food and such, but wood and other such resources are about out and I hadn't gained access to my magma (thankfully exposed, but not close enough to run-build an extension to).

Finally, as a question to you - is there any way you know of to make invaders hostile to (or enemies of) wild animals?  I would think the fire imps wouldn't be any more thrilled with a dozen orcs at their pipe than they would be a dozen dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:00:46 pm by nirodragon »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:26:40 pm »

You really put yourself in a tight spot here ... well ok. I have an idea.

Remove what walls you can without the orcs coming inside. Make a door and remove the wall on a side that doesn't have orcs on it. Recruit one of your dwarves and tell him to run, run, RUN! run out and agitate the fire imps, run from the fire imps and try to make it back into safety and pray that the imps start a fire that will consume the orcish threat.

My calculation: 90% chance of complete failure.
I have an art blog now.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 07:46:37 pm »

You really put yourself in a tight spot here ... well ok. I have an idea.

Remove what walls you can without the orcs coming inside. Make a door and remove the wall on a side that doesn't have orcs on it. Recruit one of your dwarves and tell him to run, run, RUN! run out and agitate the fire imps, run from the fire imps and try to make it back into safety and pray that the imps start a fire that will consume the orcish threat.

My calculation: 90% chance of complete failure.
Heh, a bit late for that.
One siege left, and another didn't *immediately* appear, so I ran out to grab loot and cut trees.
In the middle of this, another siege shows up.  My trader and my farmer are both cut down (idiots wouldn't get inside the fortress, instead wandering about uselessly going OSHI-).  Then, since the orcs don't have archers this time around, I send my two glassmakers to the roof as marksdwarves, armed with wooden crossbows and bone bolts.  One of them is now an Elite Marksdwarf, so my glass production speed is officially halved, on top of my food production effectively gone and my ability to trade totally hosed (assuming traders ever make it to the depot).  All 5 remaining dwarves are also pissed because of the two deaths, and I can't go retrieve the bodies, so that's only going to get worse.

Ah well, at least it's fun now.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »

UPDATE:  I've lost another dwarf, but my Elite Marksdwarf decided to become a Champion by single-handedly shooting every orc to death while standing on the roof.  This gives me a bit of time to retrieve stuff, but I'm down to 4 dwarves, only 3 of which do anything useful outside of siege time.

And still, I don't seem to be getting any immigrants.

Also - now the humans are laying siege to me, since the first orc siege killed the only human caravan I ever saw.  Wonderful.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:13:49 pm by nirodragon »

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:47:30 am »

this sounds like a particularly lovely game, please continue with the updates  ;D

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:45 pm »

Looks cool, keep it up.

I was going to say, if you could continue building, see if you can build a long platform out over the orcs and then collapse it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 12:46:00 pm by Wild Goose »
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20:49 pm »

without getting constant Suspension because they shit theyre pants?
Pages: [1] 2