Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Preview in Pictures  (Read 3115 times)

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
Re: Preview in Pictures
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »

Looks like some nice changes. I'd like to see that you keep all names randomized, if only for the sake of making every game feel varied. But it's also more funny that way.
"It's unpossible!"

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 03:33:05 pm »

No no no, don't remove all the good stuff that adds atmosphere! 'Dark Alternate Reality' is just fine, as was George W. Bush and the realistic Supreme Court. Maybe a short init file in the style of Dwarf Fortress would be in order to please everyone? And if you have to keep it randomized as it is now, the first line should probably read 'Conservative President Arthur Siegel'. Unlike Bush, noone in the real world knows this randomly generated person, so they aren't automatically associated with any set of values just by name recognition.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 03:57:03 pm »

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of using the real world names.  The way the game is set up right now, you have absolutely no direct influence on the political figures; i.e. you can't harm Anthony Scalia, only get him replaced by a liberal when he decides to step down in his own sweet time.  So I say the names should be kept in purely for the chance of funny little ironic twists happening like Souter going on to be the longest serving justice in history or really ridiculous stuff like Clarance Thomas casting deciding votes striking down civil rights legislation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Nemo2342

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:15 pm »

No no no, don't remove all the good stuff that adds atmosphere! 'Dark Alternate Reality' is just fine, as was George W. Bush and the realistic Supreme Court. Maybe a short init file in the style of Dwarf Fortress would be in order to please everyone? And if you have to keep it randomized as it is now, the first line should probably read 'Conservative President Arthur Siegel'. Unlike Bush, noone in the real world knows this randomly generated person, so they aren't automatically associated with any set of values just by name recognition.

I disagree, the "dark alternate reality" part really seems to kill the tone for me, and the real world names just makes the game a little bit too disturbing for me. I could, however, live with a compromise where the game starts with real people if you select it as an option at start up (or in a configuration file).

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 04:20:37 am »

I'd actually like to add my support for LCS having real-world politicians as well. It seemed to give the game a nice touch of impending doom. I could go either way on the alternate reality thing, however. Part of me likes the line, part of me disagrees with it.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 05:06:38 am »

I can see both sides to this here, but I'm going to go ahead and replace the Alternate Reality line and stick with randomized names. I'll make sure to specify Conservative for the last President.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 09:59:51 am »

Make that arch conservative.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 10:05:03 am »

No, no. The NEW president is C+. That's why the LCS forms. The outgoing president was only C.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 10:22:27 am »

Oh. Right.

Yeah. I kind of slipped there.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 03:40:50 pm »

More preview pictures, because it's so much more fun to show pictures ;D:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 03:43:13 pm »

I know this is odd... but that last picture is actually the most awsome picture you posted to date.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 03:45:08 pm »

You can buy guns from gang members?  Cool!
also:
"Would it help if I got naked?"
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:25 pm »

Jonathan, you are AWESOME! You usually don't post much in response to my unfortunate 10-page text-bombing sprees, so it's really, really reassuring to see some of those little suggestions actually implemented in the game. Thank you so much!

kotor39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 05:15:11 pm »

I cried a little when i saw this. I now know that this game has advanced from a little strategy game to the best game i have ever played. Honestly. GTA 4 mixed with saints row and dead rising is worth just those few pics. It so awesome to see car dealerships and the ability to chose how you act come to life. This is like "sell your soul to play" level material. Like Gimmick Account said YOU ARE AWESOME JONATHAN
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:24:04 pm by kotor39 »

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »

I try to keep my mouth shut unless I've actually got something to say (type?), but those two new screenshots are so awesome that they leave me powerless to stop myself from typing a hearty congratulations and thank you! I might even get up from my chair and do a little happy dance. I'm not 100% sure about that one though, the jury's still out...
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4