Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I have fun in Adventurer mode?  (Read 3306 times)

Pseudointellectual

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I have fun in Adventurer mode?
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:05:30 pm »

This is not a troll.

I've played a ton of Fortress mode and I want to play Adventurer mode. However, it seems like the main fun of this mode would be taking quests and killing monsters. However, whenever I do this the quest monsters kill me utterly. The Wiki advises me to do tedious things like swim in circles in a puddle or throw rocks for hours in order to become effective. But I know there's people playing this and having fun. What do I *do* in adventure mode?

So far the only fun I get out of it is exploring the world. One neat thing I discovered for example was after creation a bunch of fortresses in the world and not venturing outside of them, when I explored the world in Adventurer mode I found that all the Dark Fortresses had been taken over and cleaned out by elves. There actually wasn't a lot of room for adventure in that particular world.  :)

Vilien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I have fun in Adventurer mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »

Try to gain a few levels on wild animals before taking on any semi-megabeasts. Also, use meatshields.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:00:34 pm »

Don't forget about chasms, look in goblin citadels for them but watch out for the dreaded GCS and also you may want to set your adventure messages to a low amount if you do plan on going to them.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:19:25 pm »

Go to a human town at night and gouge out everyone's eyes. Or just walk around the world map and kill random encounter animals. Or lose a fort to a siege and go destroy the invaders. I think the combat is pretty fun, with all that ruthless semi-realism of the game keeping track of every body part individually and occasinally letting you hack limbs off. And in the next version, keeping track of every wound individually. Not to forget the eye gouging.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »

Find a biome with zombie animals in it: first encounter with a solitary zombie predator (bear, cougar, etc) lie down and hold '5' and let it hit you until you take serious damage or get tired/hungry/thirsty.  Should train up your shield skill.  Use the 'c' menu to set attack prefs to close combat and train wrestling at the same time.

Necronopticous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Primary Colors
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:01:16 pm »

The Wiki advises me to do tedious things like swim in circles in a puddle or throw rocks for hours in order to become effective. But I know there's people playing this and having fun. What do I *do* in adventure mode?
Skilling up can make adventuring a lot more fun since you're about a thousand times less likely to die randomly. You don't have to spend hours unless you want your skills to be ultimate. Just spend 20 minutes or so leveling up your throwing skill so you can do some damage at a safe distance.

Also, if you're really scared of your skill-up time going to waste upon death, there's always the option of backing up your save after getting that out of the way.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »

1. Take 100 levels in throwing.
2. Find elven children.
3. Throw rocks at elven children until they die.
4. Throw the dead elven children at other elven children until they also die.
5. ;D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:58:18 pm »

If Fortress mode is unfinished then Adventure mode hasn't even been worked on.

Your not going to enjoy Adventure mode other then pure experiementation for a long time because it really hasn't been worked on pretty much at all yet.

Caves are mindless, Whole towns attack you, Hardly any sources of income, and weird encounters.

Play Adventure mode for a bit of fun but don't really expect it to be all that great for a long time.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:14:51 pm »

Don't forget about chasms, look in goblin citadels for them but watch out for the dreaded GCS and also you may want to set your adventure messages to a low amount if you do plan on going to them.

This.  Finding a goblin tower that's next to a chasm can give you a nice battle to take part in, either helping the goblins fight off hordes of intruders, or cheerily killing everyone you see.  Either way, you won't have everyone in the area specifically hunting for you.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:20:27 pm »

I find enjoyment out of killing wildlife to level up.
Once leveled up, I recruit a group of adventurers, and find the elf civ I loathe the most. About as epic a battle you can get until adventure mode is worked on.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:00:11 pm »

You could do a reversed Noah's ark.

Find two of every animal, slay them and throw their corpses into the ocean.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 05:06:22 am »

You could do a reversed Noah's ark.

Find two of every animal, slay them and throw their corpses into the ocean.
Hmmm, interesting..
Let's see, dwarf adventurer, some weapon that doesn't launch your target away too far or chop them up too much, this would be more awesome if you first make an osidian cliff stickig out into the ocean in order to throw the corpses into it with style, oh yes, this has potential.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:36 am »

Have you already depopulated the world of all civillizations? Good place to start. That or trying to storm Orc holds. Assuming you have the Orc mod.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 10:52:40 am »

Unmodded I just pick proficent swordsman, proficent armor user competent wrestler novice swimmer and go do village quests.  If the village gives you a quest to kill anything other than a giant, minotaur or ettin at first go someplace else.  After some practice you may be able to handle cyclops or some weak war leaders.  Once yer legendary you can try real megabeasts like dragons or titans.

With modding I mod a dragon to have a grasping mouth and to be play now able, dig out a little cave for my dragon in fortress mode (tinyest zone possible) then go around as the dragon collecting goodies for my cave.

Spoiler: Extra tips (click to show/hide)

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:58 am »

Is it possible to somehow mod the game so that you get more skillpoints at the beginning of the game?  :P
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: [1] 2