Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Messy Floors?  (Read 1489 times)

Incendax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Messy Floors?
« on: May 05, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »

I'm pretty new to DF but I've managed to figure out quite a few tricks.

One thing that completely defeats me is the random articles of clothing that are left in bedrooms and ESPECIALLY barracks. I've loaded those items with Cabinets and Coffers to see if that makes a difference, but even with 4 Coffers to every 1 Bed my Barracks still gets covered in clothing articles.

I realize I could just ignore it, but it's aesthetically aggravating.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: Messy Floors?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 02:14:39 pm »

It can't be avoided. Short of flooding the room with magma, all you can do is hide the discarded clothing:

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Hide_Items/Buildings
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:32 pm »

This is a result of sparring wrestlers. Have them spar with weapons and they won't grab so much clothing.

And if you're training them to wrestle first so they have fewer injuries with weapons that might be a bad idea because a swordmaster is actually safer about his sparring than a recruit with a sword. Giving a very strong dwarf a weapon he isn't trained in can be extremely dangerous. If you train a champion through wrestling and then he switches over to an artifact mace... well, you'd better have quite the hospital.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:59:47 pm »

I've not tried it myself, but in theory you should beable to set a dwarf to wear leather/chain/plate then designate all their inventory to be dumped, before they go and armor theirselves, this should help reduce the amount of junk littering the floor.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:28:11 pm »

Really, I'd rather my wrestlers be wearing all their mittens, for the extra armour, but it seems the best i can hope for is giving them some competent training, and rotating a single room all around so they stuff it all in the same cabinet.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:39:06 pm »

I don't think sparring wrestler strikes CAN cause injuries other than breaking their neck on furniture.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 04:08:16 pm »

All my dwarves have their own bedrooms with cabinets in them. This usually gets rid of the problem, as my dwarves pick up their discarded clothes and put them away.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 05:11:26 pm »

I don't think sparring wrestler strikes CAN cause injuries other than breaking their neck on furniture.

This has been stated as fact by one user in the discussion page under Sparring(iirc?) on the wiki, but not (yet!) accepted as a "truth" by the general community.  But (apparently) nor has it been tested, or at least proven one way or the other.

I'm doing one test now - I intend to post the results separately (later) once/if that test is conclusive, one way or another.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:11 pm »

Actually, sparring is quite dangerous.  It takes what, three moves to remove a piece of clothing?  10 to strangle someone to death?  and besides that they can always default to some ultra mighty punches, or worse yet.. that masterwork steek shield you think is protecting them? It's a masterwork steel plank trhey are hitting eachother over the head with.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:42 pm »

If I have them spar in platemail, will they rip that off of each other?

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:28:52 am »

yes, they will rip each other's pants off and beat each other with them.

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:18 pm »

I've loaded those items with Cabinets and Coffers to see if that makes a difference, but even with 4 Coffers to every 1 Bed my Barracks still gets covered in clothing articles.

Oh, note that Dwarves don't use coffers to store clothing articles, just cabinets. It doesn't seem to matter how many cabinets you place in a bedroom/office. Some dwarves are tidier than others.

The only workaround I can think of is to cancel all work/military designations of a "messy dwarf" to the point where he/she has the "no job" description. Usually, after awhile they will pick up their own stuff --> "picking up own item."

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »

yes, they will rip each other's pants off and beat each other with them.

I'm sorry that's just a hilarious mental image. ripping off someone's metal pants and then beating them over the head with them >.<
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 02:08:45 am »

I've loaded those items with Cabinets and Coffers to see if that makes a difference, but even with 4 Coffers to every 1 Bed my Barracks still gets covered in clothing articles.

Oh, note that Dwarves don't use coffers to store clothing articles, just cabinets. It doesn't seem to matter how many cabinets you place in a bedroom/office. Some dwarves are tidier than others.

The only workaround I can think of is to cancel all work/military designations of a "messy dwarf" to the point where he/she has the "no job" description. Usually, after awhile they will pick up their own stuff --> "picking up own item."
Nope, cheching chest and picking up item are on par with breaks, in that your dwarves will use them to avoid any urgent work, and only when you really expect them to keep working.  In fact, I don't think they can consider the task if they aren't finishing other tasks and deciding immediatly what to do afterwords.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:26:34 am »

Nope, cheching chest and picking up item are on par with breaks, in that your dwarves will use them to avoid any urgent work, and only when you really expect them to keep working.  In fact, I don't think they can consider the task if they aren't finishing other tasks and deciding immediatly what to do afterwords.

Urist McDwarf cancels pull lever which will stop the goblin invasion and save the day: lol I'm sleepy
Pages: [1] 2