Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of a waterskin  (Read 1210 times)

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of a waterskin
« on: May 05, 2009, 01:50:43 pm »

In a fortress I recently started, my miner/hamlet manager/broker dwarf has decided to equip a waterskin after I'd made some (because the mountain homes were willing to pay 200% for them - little did I know that still only made them worth 16 dwarfbucks ;D).

Since then, she's been filling it with water, refusing to drink alcohol, which has now led to her profile saying "She needs alcohol to get through the working day, and has gone without a drink for far, far too long".

She used to be a hunter/ambusher/militia member, but when my miner died in a cave collapse which was totally avoidable, I made her the new miner... I checked her squad settings and it's set to 'Water is not carried'.

Other oddities are that she has a perfectly modest bedroom and even her own dining room/office, yet she always sleeps in the dirt (my fortress is largely above ground, with the dwellings and plump helmet farms in the one level of sand I have above the site-wide aquifer)... In the rooms overview her rooms do show up in red, but I have no idea what this means and how I can fix it if it is an indication of a problem...

Anyone know what is up with this dwarf?! ???
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:57:21 pm by GoneWacko »
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of a waterskin
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:05 pm »

I have no idea. Burn her. With magma.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:58:27 pm »

I have no idea. Burn her. With magma.

Not before I get through that aquifer and find the magma pipe :(
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Adder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 02:04:18 pm »

Does she still have Hunting enabled? That would explain the waterskin and sleeping on the ground.

You can get rid of the waterskin by setting it to be dumped. Someone will come along and take it away from her. She might just go get another on, though.

I think the red room means it overlaps with another room. That should only effect room quality, not whether she uses it.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:08:01 pm »

Does she still have Hunting enabled? That would explain the waterskin and sleeping on the ground.

That'll be why then.

Since all the wildlife is extinct (all of two alligators) anyway there's no point in anyone being a hunter any more in the first place.

Thanks!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:47:44 pm »

But some people like the hunter labour as it lets civilian dwarves wear armour for protection, useful in a dangerous area.

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 04:30:01 pm »

Unfortunately I have never been attacked by goblins in the three forts I've played so far, two of which I've played for 6 years or more, even though at embark they are definitely on the civilizations overview for the site :-[.

When they do come I'll be happy to be caught off guard. :D

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 05:20:06 pm »

I am a bit disturbed that some members of my military does this. They parade around and complain about not having alcohol to drink when the fortress is overflowing with it. There's a booze stockpile next to the damned well but they still only get water.

Why don't they just fill their waterskins with rum??
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:38:40 pm »

In order to do that, you need a +goblin skull flask+.  Which isn't implemented yet.  Seriously, drinking your booze out of a waterskin!?!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »

In order to do that, you need a +goblin skull flask+.  Which isn't implemented yet.  Seriously, drinking your booze out of a waterskin!?!
Then it would be a wineskin, and I don't think Toady implemented that yet
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...