Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunters not returning their kills  (Read 1778 times)

acidix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hunters not returning their kills
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:26:32 pm »

I have had in a couple of my forts, a hunter, using an axe, who kills a creature, said creature flies a bunch of squares, and my hunter wont return the kill. 

My butcher wont go out to get it, my dwarves won't dump it even if I mark it for dumping, and it doesn't end up in a refuse pile or anything.

Is there any way to get my merry gazelle and deer chucking dwarf to grab his kills?  Fun as it is to have a hunter wantonly murder animals for no reason, I'd like the leather, bones, and meat.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters not returning their kills
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 12:36:24 pm »

Have you ordered your dwarves to gather refuse from outside? They should be able to at least bring the carcass to a refuse pile or dump it, even if the hunter himself refuses to touch the thing.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:10:16 pm »

Get the hunter to kill with a crossbow, a spear, or with his bare hands. The problem is that when the dwarf sends the animal flying, he can't reach the animal any more, so he picks a new target to hunt. If you use weapons that don't tend to make enemies go flying, then this won't happen.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:31:30 pm »

Derakon is right, you can keep the hunter with the hammer though, but you will have to set all outside CORPSES to be brought to the refuse pile. Your haulers will however also attempt to move every goblin/orc/elf your soldiers to the refuse pile, which can hinder them from picking up that burning pig tail sock. And that wouldn't be very fun now would it?

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:50:07 pm »

I noticed that hunters have extremely short attention spans.  What I mean is that they will go out and kill an animal, and then while carrying it back drop it when they see another animal and run off to kill it without returning.

But it doesn't sound like that's your problem.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:17:45 pm »

Yep, I realised I had the outside corpses off too.  Although waiting for a turtle to rot is a good way of getting shells in a fortress with hundreds of luxurious meals.

Jikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeydonkey.info
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 08:25:30 am »

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread and all but has anyone had this problem on df 2010? My hunter just kills deer after deer and leaves them to rot out in the field. I tried the above and they just don't bring them back in still.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:37 am »

You do have a butcher's shop built, right?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeydonkey.info
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:39:38 pm »

Yes.
I have auto butcher set. A racoon came in and was chomped by one of my dogs and he was promptly taken over and made into skulls and dinner.