Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: So... Where're you from?  (Read 31264 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: So... Where're you from?
« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2009, 01:53:39 pm »

This is Alberta. Behold its majestic heights:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Broken Picture. :L
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 24, 2009, 02:15:47 pm »

Just imagine the tallest mountain you've ever seen. Then multiply that height by 3. Add a lake and a river in front of it, with the rivers source coming from deep inside the mountains.

Then forget everything you just imagined. Its a gods damned plain, flat as shit.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 24, 2009, 02:18:11 pm »

Well, there are some mountains far in the distance.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 24, 2009, 03:42:41 pm »

I still claim that Israel has the deepest earth-vagina. Damn you dead sea.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 24, 2009, 08:59:08 pm »

Just imagine the tallest mountain you've ever seen. Then multiply that height by 3. Add a lake and a river in front of it

If you're talking about the Little Pend Oreille Lakes region, that's nowhere near Alberta!

Also, uninteresting.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2009, 02:49:52 am »

Actually, the picture was supposed to show extremely flat land. The only mountains we have are the Rocky mountains (I think) located FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR far away.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2009, 04:28:02 am »

Chelyabinsk, Russia.
Isn't that the hardcore city nearby the concrete-lake of radioactive waste - second only the the Chernobyl area in nuclear contamination? Must be an interesting city full of interesting, brave or insane people. I always thought it would be cool to go there actually.
Brave, insane. Yeah.

And saddly with high rate of oncological diseases (and deceases).
We die in eternal radioactive glow.  :D

http://grax.livejournal.com/216056.html - this place is somewhere not far than 70kms out of my home.

You'll be laughing, Chernobyl is more known to world simply because there was a whole town Pripyat'. And it was in 1986.

And here was a massive nuclear contamination in 1957 (30 years earlier, KGB secrets and all that, you know) from an experimentary reactor waste storage, and most past of it has covered uninhabited terrain. Just some villages died to ground and now rivers there fenced with a gridiron - to prevent fishing and livestock watering. ;D
The curie dose was at least twice that in Chernobyl.

Also jfyi there's an old chemical weapons storage, the largest on the continent.  :D
Finis sanctificat media.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2009, 04:34:17 am »

The amount of smilies considering you live in a dangerous, radioactive area, is concerning whilst also being badass. I wouldn't have the balls to smile.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2009, 05:00:42 am »

The amount of smilies considering you live in a dangerous, radioactive area, is concerning whilst also being badass. I wouldn't have the balls to smile.
I don't think so. Living in such a place since birth (27 years for now) and some dolorous events during the life made me smiling for other "annoyances" that you'd take as a catastrophe. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2009, 05:05:56 am »

I guess. As you might guess, I have little experience in the matter.

Decanter

• Bay Watcher
  • Goliath online.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2009, 07:28:25 am »

You'll be laughing, Chernobyl is more known to world simply because there was a whole town Pripyat'. And it was in 1986.

And here was a massive nuclear contamination in 1957 (30 years earlier, KGB secrets and all that, you know) from an experimentary reactor waste storage, and most past of it has covered uninhabited terrain. Just some villages died to ground and now rivers there fenced with a gridiron - to prevent fishing and livestock watering. ;D

Also jfyi there's an old chemical weapons storage, the largest on the continent.  :D

I never thought of that. Indeed, I can't remember seeing a single picture of anything from Chelyabinsk except possibly a satellite photo of the concrete lake, and the one in your link.
There is also almost no information about it on the internet.

I have seen dozens of pictures of Chernobyl though, and read about it often. I must be far easier to access for the western media due to nearness and nationality. Also, no doubt the Russian government doesn't want outsiders poking around Chelyabinsk.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2009, 07:47:47 am »

I thought this might interest a few folks.

http://www.elenafilatova.com/

A Ukrainian woman's collection of photos taken around the Chernobyl area. Now, she had initially stated that they were taken during a solo motercycle tour of the area, but it's since been revealed that she was on a guided tour. Still the pictures are really engrossing, and the images of a land frozen in the era of soviet Russia are well worth a look.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2009, 08:07:35 am »

A Ukrainian woman's collection of photos taken around the Chernobyl area. Now, she had initially stated that they were taken during a solo motercycle tour of the area, but it's since been revealed that she was on a guided tour. Still the pictures are really engrossing, and the images of a land frozen in the era of soviet Russia are well worth a look.
As far as i've been to Pripyat' ten years ago - i've seen it from within and comparing to what it is now - the difference is great. It's now a "country" of interest and expensive excursions for foreigners - so organizers and group guides installs child toys, school notebooks, other books from local pillages to the most dramatic views that one can see from the "not-more-than-few-steps-out-of-tour-bus" walk and other broken everyday objects (cups, teapots, etc.) to mushy outline the tragedy of the whole place. Just a show, nothing more.

Our accident was too far in the past that only few survivors remember. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2009, 08:12:04 am »

I never thought of that. Indeed, I can't remember seeing a single picture of anything from Chelyabinsk except possibly a satellite photo of the concrete lake, and the one in your link.
There is also almost no information about it on the internet.
It's quite clear why - we have here some industries, some parks, some lakes, two millions of people and i don't think there's something interesting else. ;-)

I have seen dozens of pictures of Chernobyl though, and read about it often. I must be far easier to access for the western media due to nearness and nationality. Also, no doubt the Russian government doesn't want outsiders poking around Chelyabinsk.
If you want i'll send you fresh photos from Chelyabinsk "with love", hahaha  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2009, 11:10:57 am »

What's with the picture of people, I thought no one lived there anymore.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19