Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: So... Where're you from?  (Read 31338 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Re: So... Where're you from?
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2009, 06:47:25 am »

Still, nothing beats the London Underground.
You've never been to Moscow, have you?
And what's special there? Just another f*cking anthill-scrapheap.
It's quite possibly the best in the world. Melbourne's, conversely, isn't. Gah, STUPID. GOD. DAMN. CONNEX.
Yeah. The best, ok.
You can't live there underground.
Somewhen you'll go out and make a step in the megacity crap.
I agree that the city itself is a particularly ugly and dirty place (THANKS USSR. No, REALLY) But the transit system is good.
How many years ago you were in Moscow? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2009, 06:58:32 am »

It's quite possibly the best in the world. Melbourne's, conversely, isn't. Gah, STUPID. GOD. DAMN. CONNEX.
Yeah. The best, ok.
I agree that the city itself is a particularly ugly and dirty place (THANKS USSR. No, REALLY) But the transit system is good.

Quote from: From the VN personal info thread
In real life I am paranoid. Therefor I tell no-one any details about my life on the internet, save my country and, once, my suburb.

2, 6, 18, 14 and 32. I have been there though

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:10 am »

Yeah. The best, ok.

Quote from: From the VN personal info thread
In real life I am paranoid. Therefor I tell no-one any details about my life on the internet, save my country and, once, my suburb.

2, 6, 18, 14 and 32. I have been there though
18 and 14 - what's that? ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2009, 07:20:14 am »

I.... don't know?

That is the honest to God answer.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2009, 09:00:42 am »

In Soviet Russia, they did the same thing North Korea does now.

Since you expect a Soviet Reversal joke, here you go.

In Soviet Russia, Hacker hack YOU!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:41 am »

The DC subway is actually rather nice. Not as swanky as painted halls, but it works well. Better than Baltimore, anyway.

And from what I hear from tourists from New York, better than their system which will rob you blind if you take a wrong stop.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2009, 09:38:34 am »

I like the underground for one specific reason.

You can miss your station and just board the next train going the other way to reach your destination. In zone 1, they arrive once every minute.

You don't pay for another ticket. You buy one ticket and insert it into the gate. You then go to the subway level and the train stations or whatever the hell they are called and wait for any train passing the station. Hell you could go for a fucking ride. The only time you have to surrender your ticket is when you exit the actual subway station through those ticket gates.

But yeah... If you're riding around on tickets, you might as well get an Oyster or a week travel card.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »

Edmonton's public transport is utter and total crap. The train is just one literal, straight line that goes from one half of the North East to the center of the city. That's it. And it costs $2.50 to ride for 2 hours. Then it takes 15 minutes (in peak time) between trains and upwards to 30 minutes on holidays.

The bus system is even worse, with the people planning the routes being absolute morons. They can randomly change routes every day, change times, and just set random stops. IDIIIOOOOOTTTSSSSS....

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2009, 01:43:28 pm »

Evergem, Belgium.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Our wrecked-by-germans-during-the-world-wars church.

Yes, we have 2 churches to house our 5 zealous church-goers.

This place is pretty close to my house.

Our public transport system is meh, but it's good enough for me.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2009, 01:50:46 pm »

I love the London underground.
Fun Fact: Some of the deeper parts of the underground are below the water table. Of course, they are kept dry by a system of pumps. What's interesting is that the water pumped out is very cold, and is used in the air conditioning systems as a coolant.
I wish we still did stuff like the Victorians.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2009, 02:03:53 pm »

Some insignificant small city near Berlin, Germany.

Stats: About 5000 inhabitants, two churches, at least five supermarkets. The city is barely fulfilling the requirements to be actually a city, and is basically mostly stretching along a long long road. One elementary school. Also has a lake and a connection to the railroad (?) net.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2009, 03:20:52 pm »

If hull had an underground you'd need a snorkel.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2009, 03:36:49 pm »

The DC metro is good, but it isn't really that clean.  I'm sure there are cleaner, though probably not in the US, pulling together my experiences there and my brother's tales of other places that he's been to.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DeadlyLintRoller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2009, 10:41:05 pm »

The DC metro is good, but it isn't really that clean.  I'm sure there are cleaner, though probably not in the US, pulling together my experiences there and my brother's tales of other places that he's been to.

Yeah, some stations can be pretty dirty. It's wierd to see saplings sprouting underground, not decorative, feeding off the flourescent lighting. Plus mineral buildups creating some interesting rock formations. Thinking of all the government workers heading to their offices in the dilapidated transit system, very Orwellian.

Some insignificant small city near Berlin, Germany.

I am of German descent and I've always wanted to visit the "Fatherland." You must live in the state of Brandenburg? I've always wanted clarification, does it translate to "Burning Town" or "Broken Fortress" in english?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:51:26 pm by DeadlyLintRoller »
I'm back!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22:46 pm »

Wow, I read through this thread and see all these exotic faraway places and I can only feel sad that I live in Saginaw, Michigan.

Spoiler: Saginaw (click to show/hide)

It is a very uninteresting place dominated by all manner of equally unlikeable people situated in the middle of farms, in ghettos, rich-uptown, and the overcrowded business district which is NOTHING but strip malls for miles and miles. Ugly ugly stripmalls, for miles and miles. It needs to be emphasized, because it's just that ugly, and it's like that all the time.

The picture above doesn't do that particular slice of the city justice. Most of those large, crudely designed buildings are part of the larger (read: smaller) part of the business district, where there are far too many empty, abandoned stores and buildings, alot of which aren't being kept up and appear to be a hideout for squatters.

OH how I miss living in Bay City, the most pleasant town I ever grew up in. It was a place built by lumberjacks during the intense logging era of Michigan's history, and was originally just a collection of bars and whore houses, but when that particular era ended and all the loggers went out of business the town transformed into the most peaceful, tranquil place ever. Just sitting outside will make me less upset that I live in Saginaw.

Spoiler: Bay City (click to show/hide)

And to think that they're neigbors for crying out loud.

My life is very uninteresting, I wish interesting things happened more often, so I especially like reading about other people's exotic and interesting homes.

EDIT: added pictures, courtesy of wikipedia.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:32:53 pm by chaoticjosh »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19