Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do I give myself more Prepare for Embark points?  (Read 1760 times)

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
How do I give myself more Prepare for Embark points?
« on: May 04, 2009, 08:32:45 pm »

I made a new race and the points I got on Prepare for Embark were significantly lower than it would be with Dwarves.
How do I change that amount of points if there is any way at all?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I give myself more Prepare for Embark points?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:50:32 pm »

Races start with a set number of items of set types of items.  When they don't get those items, they say, "Oh well, here's 200 points left over to buy stuff," and leave you to die. Make the items they magically start with damn expensive to fix that.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 08:53:04 pm »

Clarify please.
I kinda have trouble understanding what you mean.

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »

create a common material that can be made into weapons, and give it a 200 mod value.

This will give you two battle axes on embark made of that material.  Sell one off for 2000 points and buy stuff with it.

This is a result of a bug in a mod that I'm actually trying to fix...  I've been embarking with a dozen or so bars of Steel, because I can't think of any other use for the points.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 09:17:01 pm »

create a common material that can be made into weapons, and give it a 200 mod value.

This will give you two battle axes on embark made of that material.  Sell one off for 2000 points and buy stuff with it.

This is a result of a bug in a mod that I'm actually trying to fix...  I've been embarking with a dozen or so bars of Steel, because I can't think of any other use for the points.
Hmm
Ok

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:27:01 pm »

I use Artmoney and hack the memory. It takes a couple minutes to get all the points I want and I can give my dwarfs and many skills as I want.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:28:31 pm »

Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress tweak Has an "Adjust Start" module that you can use to adjust the starting points and number of dwarves.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

ohsottovoce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:57:52 am »

I struck upon the same idea as Volfram, but ended up with an added bonus: upon reaching the embark screen I discovered that I could bring with me an AKANA ANVIL which was worth -5536 points. This did, in fact, increase my embark points for every anvil added. There's a value cap at around 32k, and running over it led to a negative value; but removing the final anvil put the point total back to a high positive value. I embarked with approximately 50 Akana anvils and an absurd amount of resources (bars, wood, barrels, bags, cages, pets, food, and so on) without any problems and no errors were logged.

Here's the matgloss entry for the metal:

[MATGLOSS_METAL:KANA]
[NAME:kana][ADJ:akana][COLOR:49:0:98]
[VALUE:600]
[SPEC_HEAT:10000]
[MELTING_POINT:35000]
[BOILING_POINT:75000]
[WEAPON][WEAPON_RANGED][AMMO][DIGGER][ARMOR][ANVIL][ANY_USE]
[DAMAGE_PERC:1000]
[BLOCK_PERC:1000]
[SOLID_DENSITY:75]

Addendum: ahahaha. It appears that setting the boiling point that high is problematic: kana boils regardless of the temperature of the starting biome. I suggest dropping it down to 50,000, which I'm certain is an acceptable value.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:22:24 am by ohsottovoce »

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 01:30:22 pm »

So, I just need to bring one of those with me (but drop the boiling point) and I will have more points?
Cool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:58 pm »

It doesn't work this way. The way it works now: the dwarves use the best non-deep metal. So if you make one, great, but it means ALL dwarves have this metal as base for everything instead of steel. Good luck buying your first anvil...

It makes too big impact on the gameplay. Just use Artmoney or Dwarf Fortress Tweak.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ohsottovoce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 11:00:33 pm »

It doesn't work this way. The way it works now: the dwarves use the best non-deep metal. So if you make one, great, but it means ALL dwarves have this metal as base for everything instead of steel. Good luck buying your first anvil...

It makes too big impact on the gameplay. Just use Artmoney or Dwarf Fortress Tweak.

So far as I can tell, one always embarks with the cheapest available anvil. When I embarked with the super-metal I had, by default, the following:

Copper pick (2): 20
Akana battle axe (2): 6000
Iron Anvil: 1000
Hoary marmot meat (15): 2

I believe one usually embarks with some sort of alcohol as well, but I've been playing a custom entity with the NO_DRINK token which (reasonably) removes alcohol from the embark screen.

In previous experiments I added the ANVIL token to Copper in the matgloss and embarked with a copper anvil instead; likewise with zinc, bronze and brass.

Of course, if one intends to trade out the starting anvil for more points this is a terrible idea since anvils made out of copper, zinc and bronze are worth a mere 200 points. I haven't tested this, but it seems that one could remove the ANVIL token from the less valuable metals (iron, steel) and add it to, say, Platinum, which would result in embarking with a platinum anvil worth 4000 points.

Question: you said all dwarves use the best non-deep metal as a base; does that mean they will always use said metal in their weapons/crafts regardless of its availability in the game world? I've only been at this a little while, so I'm not too familiar with how the hard-coded stuff works. I had assumed that if I did not add an entry in the stone_mineral matgloss it would be impossible for civilizations to acquire the custom metal since there's no ore in the world to smelt it from.

Addendum for Tradanbattlan: it occurred to me that the reason the AKANA anvil is worth so much is due to its value running over that same ~32k limit that causes the embark points to slip into negative numbers. Volfram had suggested adding a value of 200 which, multiplied by the 100 base value of an anvil, results in a 20,000 point value, so the anomaly wouldn't have shown up. 60,000 points is well over that limit, hence the negative value.

Anyway, this appears to be a very effective exploit (pending further information from Deon and/or other individuals more knowledgeable than myself) provided you change the boiling point to 50,000 or less. I should also note, though, that it's mostly pointless attempting to save an embark profile if you use a lot of the anvils. It isn't difficult to maintain a positive balance when adding the anvils/items manually, but upon re-loading a saved profile the embark points run into a seriously negative number. As such, you are forced to re-balance everything.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:20:06 pm by ohsottovoce »

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »

You need more?

In my opinion they should be at least halved... Maybe even quartered...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 11:07:28 pm »

Yes, I need more!
I never seem to have enough.
There's always that one thing that I know is essential and I cant get it!
And my modded race has noticably lower Embark points, so helping them out would be cool.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 04:39:48 am »

So far as I can tell, one always embarks with the cheapest available anvil.
No, iron is not cheaper than copper. You end up with "normal" which is 1 level lower than the best, so in the best case you'd end up with steel anvil which costs 3000 dwarfbucks. A bit too much.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ohsottovoce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 06:48:30 am »

So far as I can tell, one always embarks with the cheapest available anvil.
No, iron is not cheaper than copper. You end up with "normal" which is 1 level lower than the best, so in the best case you'd end up with steel anvil which costs 3000 dwarfbucks. A bit too much.

I suspect you are either not really reading or utterly failing to comprehend my posts.

I did not say that iron is cheaper than copper. I said that copper is cheaper than iron, and that if one adds the ANVIL token to copper in the matgloss then one embarks with a COPPER anvil instead of an IRON one.

If one really embarks with an anvil "1 level lower than the best", then when I added Kana (the super-metal) to the matgloss I should have embarked with a STEEL anvil, since it would have been 1 lower than the best (Kana). However, I still embarked with the IRON anvil, which would be two levels lower.

For my own peace of mind, I just re-added the ANVIL token to copper and am generating a world as I type. The metals with the ANVIL token are, in descending order of value:

Kana
Steel
Iron
Copper

As expected, I embarked with a COPPER anvil, which supports my earlier assertion that one embarks with the cheapest anvil available.

Perhaps you are playing a different game, or in a different reality.

I'd also like to note that you completely neglected my question, but at this point I have little reason to believe you'd be able to answer it satisfactorily.

Update (or possibly answering my own question): a trade caravan just showed up from my race (it appears that the first trade caravan to show up is always that which belongs to one's race; I had set mine to be active in Winter, so the dwarves didn't show up in Autumn as they normally do) and they are laden with Kana items. This doesn't necessarily mean that all the other races get unlimited access to the metal, but it does seem likely. We shall see, and possibly revel in some ridiculous sieges.

Update the Second: oi, I just realized how bitchy this sounded. Sorry about that; I should probably refrain from communicating on so little sleep. As if my social ineptitude wasn't bad enough to begin with...

There's still something I'm not understanding, though: when you say "costs 3000 dwarfbucks", do you mean it's too expensive on the embark screen? Because there doesn't seem to be a fixed "embark points" value; rather, one always receives two copper picks, two axes of the highest quality non-deep metal, some alcohol, some food, an anvil and 200 extra points (as I mentioned earlier, however, this appears to vary depending on which items have been permitted in the entity file). Assuming one doesn't need an anvil immediately, it's actually beneficial to start out with a more expensive anvil because
a) the fact that it costs more doesn't actually detract from the points one is able to use; and
b) not bringing it along means more points to spend on other items.

But again, I may be misunderstanding something.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 07:30:18 am by ohsottovoce »
Pages: [1] 2