Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: About Souls  (Read 4088 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
About Souls
« on: May 04, 2009, 10:29:56 am »

In the next update there might be souls in most if not all creatures, so I was wondering if anyone would have moral issues with wanton slaughter, since any DF player worth his rock salt has annihilated a fortress in a fit of boredom, taken joy in slaughter, or is unaffected by the suffering of others virtual dwarves

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
Re: About Souls
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:37:09 am »

wait...

can we harvest souls?

Can we collect them from dying creatures and use them to MAKE stuff?

*dreams*
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:38:42 am »

I expected an answer like that, yet I still asked... *sigh*... Keep 'em coming!

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:41:10 am »

I created those souls, I have no compunctions about using them to mortar my rock garden.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:46:12 am »

wait...

can we harvest souls?

Can we collect them from dying creatures and use them to MAKE stuff?

*dreams*

That would be awesome!

This is a War Hammer made from the essence of a moaning horde of damned souls.  All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It menaces with spikes of Microcline.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:00 am »

Also, in answer to the OP question

I would find it Morally REWARDING to harvest souls.

Damnit, Now i wanna make a whole fortress out of nothing but children and baby souls.

edit:

Wait... Why haven't i modded child and baby dwarves to be butcherable and drop skin?
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:53:25 am »

edit:

Wait... Why haven't i modded child and baby dwarves to be butcherable and drop skin?
You can't mod sentient creatures to be butcherable (yet), but you can use dwarf companion to set them to be butchered

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:54:36 am »

edit:

You can't mod sentient creatures to be butcherable (yet), but you can use dwarf companion to set them to be butchered

Teeeeeeeeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee!

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 10:54:57 am »

I don't know, for some reason I was thinking about the original question as the Dwarves and such having souls, not just in the generated world.
Which might make shutting down Dwarf Fortress or deleting get you tried at the Hague.

I've yet to torture or kill my Dwarves, except by accident or incompetence, but I must admit a sinister urge to engineer a massive 200+ Dwarf tantrum spiral.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:01 am »

I don't know, for some reason I was thinking about the original question as the Dwarves and such having souls, not just in the generated world.
Which might make shutting down Dwarf Fortress or deleting get you tried at the Hague.

I've yet to torture or kill my Dwarves, except by accident or incompetence, but I must admit a sinister urge to engineer a massive 200+ Dwarf tantrum spiral.
0_o Never slaughtered your dwarves? You've been missing out! It's so satisfying to see some completely useless peasants, soap makers, and cheese makers burn in the holy crucible! (The magma pipe)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 02:07:39 pm »

Wow! Toady found the perfect way to enhance his game with zero effort! Add souls!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 03:41:10 pm »

Wow! Toady found the perfect way to enhance his game with zero effort! Add souls!
heh, and how do you expect him to "add souls" without applying effort ??? :-\ :-[ ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 03:48:11 pm »

You cant really do anything to souls anytime soon.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 04:38:41 pm »

[HAS_SOUL] doesn't mean anything unless you make it mean something. And seeing how we drop kittens, elves, and dwarves alike down 57-or-so z-levels on a regular basis, I don't think it'll mean anything to most of us.

I'm more worried that elves will get souls. If souls prove to be useful in any way, shape or form, then hurray, more reasons to slaughter the elves. If the souls stick around and haunt your dwarves...

I don't want to have nightmares. X_X

Psssh. Elven ghosts. What are they going to do?

Plant trees in your living room?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 04:40:41 pm »

If ghosts can affect the world around them, then they might pull your FTW lever... Is that a bad thing?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5