Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Baseball  (Read 1961 times)

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Baseball
« on: May 04, 2009, 03:17:06 am »

Dwarven Baseball...

this is when a hammerdwarf smash something very far.

this happened in my current fort
the corpse is of the dead berserking engraver which got splattered at ramps to the left
my Fully suited adamantine recruit charged and smashed him all the way from the right edge of the screen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

post your stories of flying elves, dwarfs, goblins or whatever you make youre hammer/macedwarf smash.
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Baseball
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:23:23 am »

I once had a champion hammerdwarf with an adamantine artifact hammer punt a Goblin Macelord nearly 4 screens across and 15 z levels up, surprisingly the Goblin Macelord was still alive and somenow in one piece (although almost everything was mangled), at least, he was still alive until he landed in the magma pipe.

Interestingly; one of the Fire Imps in the pipe was found dead moments later, i'm not sure if he died from having a Macelord Goblin land on his head or if the Macelord somehow survived long enough to kill it.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 03:31:51 am »

My marksdwarf ran out of ammo and chased a groundhog. Sent it flying into a wall, every limb came off on impact. What should have been 1 hauling job ended up being 8.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:36:21 am »

hey Phazer, what graphics set are you using? I want to use it.

Also to be on topic, in one fort I got ambushed just as the caravan was reaching my fortress. the caravan guards went to attack it and one of the ambushing gobs was sent back quite a bit.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:42:48 am »

im using

Tileset: Redjackvo                  http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/File:Redjack17.png
Graphics: Sphr's graphic set   http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/File:Sphr_dwarves.png
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:07 am »

In a previous human fort, I always enjoyed watching my ultra-mighty champions wielding steel mauls and great axes fight goblins.

In one goblin siege, my humans were fighting the goblins outside of my main entrance. From my entrance, the terrain slopes up, and this is where the battle happened. One guy hit a goblin, and the corpse flew over my wall and landed on the third story of an apartment building, right on someone's doorstep.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:02:40 am »

...the Goblin Macelord...was still alive until he landed in the magma pipe.

Tiger McWoods needs a drink:  Hit Hole in One.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:05:16 pm »

I'm a legendary hammerdorf / wrestler / axedorf ect. and with my Hammer I send wolfs flying almost non stop, I realized It was getting kind of boring though, I can get into any fight and slaughter without taking a scratch, or getting winded.  I've killed a dragon single handedly, as well as several cyclops and like 5 or so carp.

I've had some good times though, sending animals and people flying for several tiles before slamming into a tree and exploding, I hammered one wolf all the way across a pond!  I don't know how that happened but it was awesome.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 07:12:46 pm »

Dwarf baseball:

Code: [Select]
+=====================
|@
|
|
|
|        X
|
|
|

+ = only way out of the room
@ = champion hammerdwarf batter
X = grate one z-level up with gobbo/kobold sitting on top.  Use lever to drop 'em in, at which point they make for home base.  Preferably, returning the grate to its closed state queues up another.  Hereafter known as the pitchers' hole.
With a meeting hall out in the stands, have your own homerun derby.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:14:23 pm by ProfessorA »

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 07:16:45 pm »

In adventure mode I sent a wolf flying five tiles into a tree... with a sword.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 12:03:38 am »

That happens all the time. :P
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 12:09:29 am »

In a memorable duel between an up-and-coming macedwarf and a goblin maceman there was some flying.

It just so happened that the macedwarf had strayed from his group and the goblin had strayed from his as well. They reached the top of a hill a good distance outside my walls at the same time. I like to think they exchanged names and challenges before plunging into battle..

The dwarf had the upper hand but the goblin was really nimble, avoided most blows and even countered, wounding the dorfs wrist. Well. That's when his luck ran out, the dorf struck the goblin so hard he flew across the friggin screen, over the rest of the dorves, one marksdwarf actually shot the flying goblin in the leg before it landed ON TOP of the wall and bodyparts and blood flowed down the sides of it. I had to build a ramp to get him down from there.

It was pretty awesome. It wasn't as awesome when a goblin later returned the favor and sent a war dog flying over the wall and into a marksdwarf though. I got a bit angry because of that one.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:03:17 am »

I've killed a dragon single handedly, as well as several cyclops and like 5 or so carp.

Go find a terrifying ocean and fight a Skeletal Bluefin Tuna ball (they come in batches of 12 - 20 and are exactly as dangerous as Carp. :D)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:27 am »

Had a neat one today. My mayor was going out to work on some road construction while a trade caravan was inside, and right at the main gates he encountered a kobold. All of my dwarves in this fort carry exceptional or better steel axes and have spent at least one season sparring, and the mayor was particularly badass, so I activated him and sat back to watch the show. Bam! The kobold goes flying down the road, leaving a foot behind like some sort of macabre version of a cartoon character being knocked out of his socks. The mayor charges along right behind him, running just as fast as the kobold can hurtle through the air.

Then, just as the kobold lands in a heap of bleeding wreckage, the mayor runs headlong into a _second_ kobold thief. Bam! This new thief picks up where the old one left off, flying down the road with the mayor keeping pace. The second kobold lands and this time by some miracle he doesn't die instantly. That instant is all it takes for the mayor to catch up, and Bam! The kobold is airborne again. With mayor in hot pursuit. Second kobold dies on impact this time and I deactivate the mayor, who goes right back to road construction as if he hadn't just run several screen-widths keeping pace with hurled thieves.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 07:28:04 am »

Dwarven Baseball...

this is when a hammerdwarf smash something very far.

this happened in my current fort
the corpse is of the dead berserking engraver which got splattered at ramps to the left
my Fully suited adamantine recruit charged and smashed him all the way from the right edge of the screen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

post your stories of flying elves, dwarfs, goblins or whatever you make youre hammer/macedwarf smash.
938 FPS? That's just insane!
And is that the FF1 red mage in the dead end room on the lower left?

On topic, an entire squad of hammerdwarves chasing a kobold who is flying is always a fun sight.
And when a goblin head (and only the head) went straight up through a one tile hole and landed on a balcony. Only the head.
Pages: [1] 2