Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Locking doors  (Read 6140 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Locking doors
« on: October 20, 2006, 09:38:00 pm »

Currently,in the Fortress mode you can lock the doors without any interntion of the dwarves. This isn't right - to lock a door a dwarf should go to it, or you could link mechanisms to a lever or a pressure plate to lock them. The way it is, if you suffer a siege or a ambush, it is too easy to lock the invaders.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Locking doors
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 01:04:00 am »

Dwarves mill around a lot as it is. I have 178 and I can't get a ratman foot out of a door. That and most serious opponents can break doors down fairly easily anyhow, so it really isn't a problem.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by thvaz:
<STRONG>Currently,in the Fortress mode you can lock the doors without any interntion of the dwarves. This isn't right - to lock a door a dwarf should go to it, or you could link mechanisms to a lever or a pressure plate to lock them. The way it is, if you suffer a siege or a ambush, it is too easy to lock the invaders.</STRONG>

Well, if you want to challenge yourself, you can always hook up your doors to levers and only use that...

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 10:44:00 am »

Yeah, this is one of the odd things about the game I noticed.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 06:21:00 pm »

'Locking' a door is really just giving your dwarves the order to not pass through it.  I'm fairly certain that even 'unlocked' doors are impassible to enemies (although a dwarf could wander through and let them in by mistake at any time.)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 10:46:00 pm »

Doors that are not pet-passable stop enemies that can't open doors.  Doors that are forbidden are "locked" as well, and enemies need to break them down.  However, the game just assumes that the last dwarf through it locked it if you set it to be locked.  That's why you need to retake doors that enemies have passed through before you can lock them.  I think forcing you to lock every door manually would be cumbersome (having dwarves need keys would be even worse).  It's not that I'm against the idea in principle, but it would make the game unreasonable difficult to use.

[ October 21, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!