Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How hard is it to BS a term paper?  (Read 4206 times)

viskaslietuvai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How hard is it to BS a term paper?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 05:45:30 pm »

I blame the removal of corporeal punishment.
I agree we need to refocus our punishment away from the incorporeal such as ghosts and spirits. Punish the solid!
Oh you meant corporal punishment. I'm against that. I thought you were talking about zombies and such.
The open way's too dangerous / Listen close they're watching us
One more time you're losing us / Hold still they're shooting us
First wave down / I wonder when they're coming back
First wave intact
-Secret Machines- First Wave Intact
Gobbo Invasion Song!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 08:39:01 pm »

It is not hard to BS a paper. I wrote my ethics & strategic leadership paper on Dwarf Fortress, in a very strict uni, and I got a distinction for that paper :P

Holy cow. I must try this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 08:36:41 am »

It is not hard to BS a paper. I wrote my ethics & strategic leadership paper on Dwarf Fortress, in a very strict uni, and I got a distinction for that paper :P

Holy cow. I must try this.

I wouldn't recommend it though. When you write an academic paper on a game, it becomes work. I haven't played DF through ever since I did that :(
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 09:28:11 am »

Haha, I BS'ed a lab report last week - it was supposed to be like 10 pages, but I got lazy and took pictures (instead of drawing graphs), wrote just 4 pages, didn't even put an introduction and conclusion, and I got a distinction for it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Oksbad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:28 am »

Win.

.......Do you have a copy?  ;D
I always just found it peculiar that the police are always able to pin the crime on you 100 percent of the time. The fact that organized crime rings exist at all without being bombed to hell by the national guard is evidence enough that this is not strictly the case in reality.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 11:26:31 pm »

Yes, but I did lame things. Like building safety grates in the reservoir. And quoting some of you guys. I'm ashamed to show it to DF players.. that's like a guy showing a romance novel to his wife.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 07:58:04 am »

One of my prof's was actually talking about a trend in some universities in nudging students grades a bit. Basically student=customer, and they don't want the customer to be unhappy, so professors are told to boost test scores, etc.

Keep that in mind if you're handing in shit work and getting good grades.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:51 am »

The professor of the same class these papers were for actually harps about that a lot.  He despises other professors, all students, and the entire modern university culture, precisely because of the sense of perfunctory entitlement so many people have.

Some examples.  As he told us today, coming into his office at the end of the semester to plead for a better grade will more likely earn a worse one, especially for people who don't show up for class, or insist they "don't get bad grades."  In response to the abysmally poor term papers, he's offering an extra credit paper, and making half the final a do-it-at-home essay.  Both will be graded as much on being legible English as their content.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 10:23:52 am »

Actually, I do plead for a better grade, but I do it subtly. Like hanging out with the professor, talking about things like building death rays out of the stuff he's teaching in class or about how he used to be a hacker. I think that's why my grade for a certain subject was exactly 50 out of 100 (the minimum to pass).

And one time, it got me bumped up a bit.. the prof just said
"what was your mark for the rest of the course before the finals?"
"38"
"really? it says here you got 43?"
"it does?" (me being stupid)
"Yup, that's an A-, not a B+, you twit. I don't see what you're complaining about."

If you're going and begging or threatening for better grades, it ain't gonna happen. And if you skip class or sit at the back or don't show any initiative to work hard, you certainly won't get a grade bump. And if you're lazy and plagiarized a paper and didn't get caught.. by all means, do not ask for it to be remarked.. because that's extremely stupid and will get you caught.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:13 pm »

One of my prof's was actually talking about a trend in some universities in nudging students grades a bit. Basically student=customer, and they don't want the customer to be unhappy, so professors are told to boost test scores, etc.

Keep that in mind if you're handing in shit work and getting good grades.

The student isn't the customer.  They're the product.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 04:00:53 pm »

Unless it's the student working for the money that's paying for said student's education.  Then they are somehow both customer and product.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 05:30:52 pm »

Public universities are often very taxpayer-supported, and even private ones get lots of donations.  These donations and taxes frequently come from the people and corporations that want to hire the students who go through the college.  So yeah, employers are paying universities to educate people into effective workers.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 06:13:24 pm »

Not in America.  We have to pay for our college ourselves  :(
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 07:10:09 pm »

Yes, we do, AND there is public funding.  Also financial aid and scholarships etc.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 07:20:32 pm »

Not everyone gets financial aid. Heh, the reason US unis are so expensive is because the govt doesn't put a cap on the price, they just raise scholarships to whatever level they charge on it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3