Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting an Example  (Read 900 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
Setting an Example
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:09:26 pm »

The goblin armies assaulted.  Yes, ARMIES!  Two of them.  With nearly twenty goblins between them.  But it was ok!  I had finally managed to train all my marksdwarves up to decent skill with their weapons.

I stationed them at the fortress wall overlooking the entrance to my trade depot's tunnel.  They aimed, they made ready....  Erush Faintnets, Archer is taken by a fey mood!

And so, as the goblin siege came within range of the walls, Erich turned tail and fled to the safety of his jeweler's workshop, to create "Ripadamere, the Blame of Conjuring" a perfect yellow jasper.  A jasper worth merely 4800 bucks.  And though it gained him legendary skills, two dwarfs were lost to his desertion.

"This will not do", I said.  "A lesson needs to be taught here!"  And I knew what had to be done.  I drafted the previous Gemmest, Dartan Charmsalve, and stationed her atop my 10 level tower.  And then...

I pulled the lever. 

It was a sad day in fort Bloodyglazes as Dartan Charmsalves flew for the first time.  Her two children mourned their mother's death, and Erush Faintnets is now looked upon with scorn by the entire fortress. 
Their cold, blaming eyes haunt him as he sits, cutting green glass, trying to become as skilled at cutting gems as he is at causing people's deaths.

(and yes, bloodyglazes is a random name)
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting an Example
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »

I cannot help but feel that killing the original archer might have been a more reasonable (although no doubt less dwarven) way of resolving this issue.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:04:52 pm »

Yeah, now your just a bad guy.  As awesome as dwarves are, we still are usually the good guys.  We have things like Ethics.

Quoting from the RAWs:

"[ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE]"

I assume this stretches to murder as example.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:24:44 pm »

I cannot help but feel that killing the original archer might have been a more reasonable (although no doubt less dwarven) way of resolving this issue.

But that would have lost the fort valuable skills.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

yggiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »

I woulda killed the first one over the second, bottom line and all that.

I just can't wait to harvest the organs of dwarven children to replace those of the Mayor. Mwa ha ha!

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:35:28 pm »

Yeah, now your just a bad guy.  As awesome as dwarves are, we still are usually the good guys.  We have things like Ethics.

Quoting from the RAWs:

Erm.

I mean... nobles.  Really, nobles are all the counterpoint anyone needs to argue against dwarven society being fair, just, and ethical.

I'd go on, but I need to go plate up one of my peasants for the five hammerstrikes because the count didn't get his three useless lay pewter items in time.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:45:11 pm »

Stupid nobility falls under "Justifiable regicide."

As long as you save more lives than you kill, you are cool in the dwarven society.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:48:28 pm »

Quoting from the RAWs:

THIS.... is why you change the Raws..
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:24:00 am »

I just got this hilarious idea of the Dwarves rebooting/updating as you changed the raws.
The elves are just standing around confused, as the dwarves shudder and drool while EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER UNTHINKABLE is changed to EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER ACCEPTABLE...
"Hey shorties, what's going on?"
"Beeewwww....Sorry, I was just upda-TARGET AQUIRED."
Urist McDwarf cancels Trade; Eating
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.