Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free beds vs barracks  (Read 1445 times)

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Free beds vs barracks
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:51:49 am »

I thought it would be neat to separate sparring from the communal bedroom, so I defined a barracks from an armour stand, and put some free beds in a different area. But now homeless dwarves still insist on crashing on the barracks floor, while all the free beds are unused. Is this normal, or can I somehow inspire them to sleep in the beds? Is it because the barracks is closer to the main corridor, and they can't be bothered to walk?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Free beds vs barracks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:58 am »

Free beds are hospital beds.  Not for sleeping.  Barracks takes sleep priority.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 10:58:26 am »

In the squad menu(m->v i think) you can choose between a)sleep in barracks b)sleep on floor and c)sleep in assigned bed.
3rd Option should fix your problem, if you have a bed assigned to every soldier.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:05:09 am »

Soldiers are already sleeping in their rooms; the barracks floor is littered with mechanics and woodburners. Seems more likely that the barracks just takes priority, then (the only person in a free bed at the moment is indeed injured). So much for keeping it neat. ;)

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 06:44:47 pm »

yeah, each of my dwarves have their own rooms with beds, yet when i make a barracks to spar my soldiers, i STILL get random dwarves running to it and sleeping. are there NO options to tell them sparring only?!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 07:00:28 pm »

If an area is zoned as a barracks, dwarves without beds will sleep on the floor if all of the barracks beds are full, but at least they will sleep in the barracks area.

If the beds are just regular beds without any zoning, if the beds are full the dwarves will just sleep on the ground where they are when they get sleepy.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:04:04 pm »

no... EACH dwarf has his OWN bedroom assigned. there are no bed-less dwarves.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:29:41 am »

It could be then that their rooms are simply too far away

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 04:45:14 am »

One idea, make a 3x6 room full of beds thats designated as a barracks, thats further away from the booze and food stockpiles. That could act as your homeless shelter.

Sparring dwarves will gravitate and go fight in more open areas closer to their off-duty boozing and eating priorities.

Might work.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 12:01:49 pm »

no... EACH dwarf has his OWN bedroom assigned. there are no bed-less dwarves.

Do you have an economy? Maybe they can no longer afford their rooms.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 12:15:02 pm »

One idea, make a 3x6 room full of beds thats designated as a barracks, thats further away from the booze and food stockpiles. That could act as your homeless shelter.

I'd like to add to this comment. You should make each bed its own barracks, and then make the room overlay as tiny as possible. Otherwise, military dwarves will spar there.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 02:41:11 pm »

yeah... making a barracks that is 100% full (of beds or other) should solve your problem

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 06:54:02 pm »

yeah... making a barracks that is 100% full (of beds or other) should solve your problem

Wouldn't doing this cause them to walk over each other, creating unhappy thoughts in the trodden-on sleeping dorfs?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 07:12:00 pm »

Wouldn't doing this cause them to walk over each other, creating unhappy thoughts in the trodden-on sleeping dorfs?

I don't think there's a negative thought for that. Sparring dwarves make noise that would wake the sleepers, but I don't think dwarves seem to notice being stepped on.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:53 pm »

The best solution is to just disable the economy in the .int in future games.

The economy is kinda broken the way it is now and you don't have to worry about hobos camping out in your sparring grounds that way.
Pages: [1] 2