Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spike pit trap  (Read 436 times)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spike pit trap
« on: May 03, 2009, 06:51:14 am »

I'm currently forging about 30 iron spikes to put in a pit. My previous attempts to make a pit like this failed because I'd no idea how to make a hole appear in the ground upon pressure being applied to a pressure plate. I did use floor hatches but they can only be placed on a 1x1 open space and my current pit is something like 2x4. Is there anything I can use to cover this pit until the pressure plates are activated?

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spike pit trap
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 06:54:34 am »

Just as a note... just falling on spikes does no damage (I think Ôo). They have to be activated, deactivated etcetc.
For your trapdoor: use retracting bridges.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 06:56:09 am by Lesconrads »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:56:03 am »

If it's just two by four, grates would also work.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 01:22:58 pm »

1. only 10 spilke/spears can fit inb a 1x1 space.
2.do no (additional) damage if a creature falls on them but
Name           Damage     Damage type     Number of hits     Critical boost
Menacing spike‡     150†     Pierce               1                             2
 times 10 vs a fall can save a lot of space and is a good way of useing up all the spare spears.

try useing Bars,bridges or Supported floor to cover the hole(dig a chanel 1 or more levels down).

spikes are build sicking up and you need to Retract them to get corpses off.

note that spike do Pierce Damage so will hit internal organs not just brake legs(short falls).

try adding water to see if you can drown the attackers.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:36:00 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:28:19 pm »

Thankyou all and especially Funk, very nice advice. I created the pit with floor bars (first time ive ever used them) but the goblins are stuck on the spikes and as you already mentioned they're not being removed. I'll wait until they die and rot away, until then the spikes are off limits ;D

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:48:10 pm »

Suggestion: Make the bridge above the "spike" pit glass, so as goblins charge across, they look down...and see the rotting corpses of their comrades below.Then the floor drops away, and the lever is pulled...Only then do they truly comprehend. Repeat around your trade depot.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.