Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves Have An Economy?  (Read 2191 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Have An Economy?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 03:33:07 am »

The real problem with the economy is that you don't have to pay your dwarves.

In theory it would be an interesting new challenge and add a new dynamic to the game - You want a powerful military and you want the smith to make nice swords for them? fine, but you have to pay for it somehow! Coins have a use (because they are worth much more then metal value to the dwarves) but so do trade goods (trading for more metal to make coins). You can either mass produce and trade for wealth (or perhaps later a strong military and plunder) and make all your dwarves rich as kings, OR you could build a fancy fortress with nice rooms and meals and whatnot and basically make your dwarves pay you everything you pay them back.

but right now? dwarves get payed with infinite credit that never runs out and is based on nothing, and the whole system is meaningless.

I expect it will get fixed, or at least looked at when the caravan arc comes around though who knows when that will be.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 04:18:25 pm »

Well that's because there is no 'you' in the game. You represent the general will of the fortress.

I would like to see the nobility, instead of making demands, make commissions, whether to the artisan for them to make the item, or for the trader to make orders for it. It would cut down on pointless micromanagement.

I think the economy could be changed up to allow dwarves to do things autonomously. Hell, even go the Sim City route and 'zone' areas for construction, so that the dorfs can buy land, hire miners to dig it out, hire engravers to decorate it, buy furniture, hire haulers, and generally act in their own self-interest.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 04:30:07 pm »

Nice idea... but I would personally keep the 'private' lands minimal...

Why?

They are dwarves... their self-interest may not be healthy... or practical... or sane... >.> look at the nobility.

Well... would be interesting to see what they come up with once things are established... won't have to find work for +100 dwarves...

EDIT: I usually pick one of the starting 7 as my mayor guy.  The Boss of the fort if you will...  just gotta check the guy's level of insanity first...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 04:31:44 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 05:03:15 pm »

EDIT: I usually pick one of the starting 7 as my mayor guy.  The Boss of the fort if you will...  just gotta check the guy's
level of insanity first...
Make sure it is high enough.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 06:15:09 pm »

Well that's because there is no 'you' in the game. You represent the general will of the fortress.

I would like to see the nobility, instead of making demands, make commissions, whether to the artisan for them to make the item, or for the trader to make orders for it. It would cut down on pointless micromanagement.

I think the economy could be changed up to allow dwarves to do things autonomously. Hell, even go the Sim City route and 'zone' areas for construction, so that the dorfs can buy land, hire miners to dig it out, hire engravers to decorate it, buy furniture, hire haulers, and generally act in their own self-interest.
This is the way I always saw the game implementing a hypothetical "Human Fortress" mode.
Pages: 1 [2]