Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves Have An Economy?  (Read 2195 times)

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves Have An Economy?
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »

I have found that one topic is usually kept mum around here: the economy! Can't we hear anything about this feature of our beloved game around here? I'll start this off by just saying that though I've never seen a fortress with an economy, I always try to get to that point. The fortress either falls or gets neglected by then, though. :'( Maybe I've just never seen the horrors of the economy, but I don't see why it's such a mum topic.

Any thoughts or opinions about the dwarven economy? ???
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves Have An Economy?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:29:45 pm »

Don't mint any coins. Simple as that.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:32:30 pm »

It would be cool if dwarves were a bit smarter, and ones skilled in their labors would make objects that you as a player mandate and from there they would sell the tools to whatever dwarf would buy them.

But alas, they are stupider than rocks mined by a retarded elf. Thus the economy really only means to me a few useless people I don't mind, the ability to create shops and the necessity to create low-rent housing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 10:44:36 pm »

And now that you know that, we'll have to kill you, and sanitize this thread.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 10:53:20 pm »

I have an economy...

I don't have any coins (and won't until i finish my towercap farm).

It has done NOTHING for me...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:40:43 am »

One of my first fortress I made to the economy stage and minted coins.  Then I realized that the dwarves were just taking the coins out of the stockpile anyway and gave up. Stated to just apply magma to my tax collectors from there.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 01:09:22 am »

I have found that one topic is usually kept mum around here: the economy! Can't we hear anything about this feature of our beloved game around here? I'll start this off by just saying that though I've never seen a fortress with an economy, I always try to get to that point. The fortress either falls or gets neglected by then, though. :'( Maybe I've just never seen the horrors of the economy, but I don't see why it's such a mum topic.

Any thoughts or opinions about the dwarven economy? ???

It's basically non-functional. Go ahead and  turn it off before it ever kicks in.

I wish there were a lot fewer broken mechanics in  DF, or I wish Toady would fix them first instead  of spending time  on inventing entirely new things, or reinventing things that basically already work.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 04:36:11 am »

My biggest problems with economy:

1) It is closed. What good are coins, if you can't actually use them outside your fortress? I'd like wandering heroes and traders come in, with great items or artefacts or plenty of other empires gold coins, and use them. And we need to be able to build an Inn, where the travellers come to sleep and eat and drink and start guests. I want to grow my treasury, and preferrably by getting other peoples money, not just minting my own.

2)Legendary dwarfs pay for nothing. I can see the idea behind this, but when half the population has "legendary persuator" or "legendary liar", then the economy simply won't work. It would be better if the legendaries would get a set payment each day, depending on the skill (and nothing for the socials), in addition to work done. They would have to pay for their stuff, but they would likely have more money to do it.

3) Invent a coin pouch, that the dwarf can carry(made from leather, silk or plant fiber cloth), sort of like quiver but can hold maybe 100 coins he owns. This would clear up a lot of the money movement problems.

4) Allow dwarfs to buy furniture: I'd like to be able to set empty rooms, and allow dwarfs to furnish them. Bed for sleeping, chair and table foe eating, coffer/chest for storing items, statue for decoration...

If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 09:19:46 am »

the economy turns on when you get the baron and his tax collector. this makes it possible to build Shops (b-z). it also makes room have a rent, and you can only assign bedrooms to legendaries and nobility.

coins are a special problem- they become a perpetual hauling task, that slows down other work. that and they litter room floors. they get claimed and left in forges (bad for the forges). claimed and left in the stockpiles(pharmless mostly). If you mint coins, do it before the economy kicks in, and forbid the heck out of them at their stockpile.

shops are kinda fun. dwarves go shopping, and buy the shops get sold from dwarf to dwarf. 4 kinds of shops, THIS is the ultimate fate of all the narrow clothing that cant melt, being haggled over at the exotic clothing shop.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 10:46:36 am »

It's not 'mum'. It's just not talked about a lot because it basically isn't there yet. The reason there isn't a lot of talk about economy right now is the same reason there isn't a lot of talk about invading goblin fortresses with armies right now.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:53:24 am »

The best thing about the economy is the fact that coins don't have to be smelted, as all dwarves carry around a handy-dandy Dwarven Express card. The ironic thing about this is that the best feature is not using the core feature of it.

Of course, as a result of the Dwarven Express card, the economy is due to eventually collapse. This is completely normal, as all dwarven things are doomed given enough time.

Incendax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:22:23 am »

I turn NORENT on YES. It's a supply and demand issue.
I provide palace level accommodations to each of my dwarves. When the economy kicks in they would normally have to pay outrageous sums of money to stay there, which would work out fine if dwarves from other cities would come to my city to rent them. Otherwise nobody but Legendary Dwarves stay in them and the Tax Collecter won't reduce the rent to meet the demand. It works out just fine with NORENT set to YES because your dwarves still have to buy their food and can take the money that would be spent on Rent to buy items from the Shop which makes for a lot of clutter and some very happy dwarves.

Either way, the entire economy system is broken. After the first couple of years I make every dwarf a Legendary Pump Operator (even the military recruits) and nobodies pays anything anyway.

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 10:08:18 pm »

A large and well-furnished barracks also solves the rent problem without mucking around in the raws.
Also, legendary dwarves deserve to get just about everything on the house due to being legends.  I think the xp system just needs to get a little steeper.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:56:29 pm »

It's an economy that follows no economic principle whatsoever.

What can you say.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:39 pm »

I always turn it off. It's a pain in the ass and doesn't add anything I find useful or fun to play with.
Pages: [1] 2