Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miasma and how you deal with it  (Read 1108 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Miasma and how you deal with it
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:46:14 pm »

I have seen many ways people deal with this noxious gas from airlocks and using the fact it does not go diagonally, all the way up to decoratively allowing it to exist. Whats your special way of dealing with it?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma and how you deal with it
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »

I keep my refuse, accessible from below, walled off, outside.

No hassle.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 03:49:33 pm »

A refuse stockpile with two doors. Not fancy, but it works, assuming the dwarves put stuff in the damn stockpile before it rots.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:54:33 pm »

I just leave mine on the ground. If my dwarves aren't dwarf enough to ignore it, then they don't belong in no fortress of mine.

Anamabir

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 04:34:21 pm »

I make a stupidly complicated system of hallways, filled with a plethora of doors, leading up to a needlessly elaborate arrangement of airlocks, which, finally, leads to my refuse stockpile.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:43:50 pm »

I keep my refuse stockpile outside.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 05:28:54 pm »

Any diagonal (or getting it outside) will stop the spread, and that's a good thing, but the problem is often refuse collection in the first place.

If that's the case, you need more haulers with that turned on.  I also make sure any kitchen-area workers have it turned on, and that there are multiple refuse piles so no one has to walk too far.  (I turn it off for miners and forge-workers - don't want someone hiking half a mile just to throw away a rat in the food stockpiles.)

Early on, with only 7, I largely ignore it.  No one should be so unhappy (unless friends have died, etc) that miasma will push them over the edge.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

I have a stockpile outside for it to rot in then move the useful stuff to a larger stockpile inside.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 06:34:24 pm »

I maintain separate refuse stockpiles.. one or more in a diagonal-door room or in an "outside" area that accepts anything but bone, shell, skulls, and hides, and one near the craftshop that accepts ONLY those items.  It keeps the materials handy for my crafters, and makes sure that they don't have to wade through the Bog of Stench to get to them.  Thus, the only dwarves ever exposed to miasma are designated "garbage men dwarfs"

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 06:49:44 pm »

I dump my rubbish in the volcano. Any bodies go into my iron sorting room magma chamber.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 09:46:16 pm »

My noble bedrooms all have an airlock.

'nuff said.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 10:30:28 pm »

I dig out a area and have a zigzag wall so that it can be accessed from any side but the smell not get out.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »

Refuse area outside set to not accept bones, skulls and shells. Separate internal stockpiles are made for those, so they do not disappear.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 10:48:58 pm »

the biggest problem I have is no one wants to gather refuse! my answer is zigzag walls in strategic points so miasma doesn't spread so much.
▓  ▓  ▓
  ▓  ▓  ▓   <-- it works just use it to separate areas like food storage from others without doors and such!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 11:03:46 pm »

Ditto what others said about outside dumps; I always put a wall around it as well, so the dumpers don't have to worry about being attacks.

I also put up lots and lots of doors, because I enjoy the look they give a fort.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: [1] 2