Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everything I want to know about booze storage and I'm not afraid to ask  (Read 968 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since dwarves drink right where they stand and don't bring their booze/water to the dining room, I'd like to create a nice "drinking area". I was wondering what actually would make sense.

When dwarves creates their drink job, do they have time to actually notice their surroundings? ie, would it make sense in any way to engrave the boozepile floors/walls? Should I put some statues in the room? Should I even designate the room as statue garden (without the meeting hall bit  ;)) Would it make sense to add waterfalls, or is there a cap on how many "yay, mist" thoughts a dwarf can have (because ill be having mist in the dining room, I guess) ? Will they maybe only notice the barrel they're drinking from and that's that?

Right now I just have the booze stockpile in the middle of the dining room.

Gimme input, anything you can think of to get the most out of them getting drunk.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:54:21 pm by Puck »

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When dwarves creates their drink job, do they have time to actually notice their surroundings?
Had a starved and dehydrated dwarf recently released from prison. Stupid dwarf eventually died from starvation after spending too much time drinking strawberry wine. :p Priority issues. Especially since there was a keg of Dwarven wine beside the strawberries. :p

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

I think that when a dwarf drinks, his attention is entirely focused on the barrel of booze. Just like a true dwarf would.

They may notice things like statues and engravings, but they won't get any thoughts like dwarves do for eating in a legendary dining room.

Would it make sense to add waterfalls, or is there a cap on how many "yay, mist" thoughts a dwarf can have

Though the thought only appears once in the profile page, I think dwarves get happiness bonuses from each time they encounter a specific thought. In other words, I don't think there's a cap on how many waterfall happiness bonuses there are.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, adding a mist generator to a spot like a booze stockpile will make your dwarves deliriously happy, I'd say this is your best value. I had a fort with a waterfall between my dining room and food stockpile. Every dwarf except one were mercilessly slaughtered, and as Urist McLyemaker lay in the hall; one legged, paralyzed, starving, dehydrated, widowed, hopeless and perfectly alone, he reflected that he'd die content, having been comforted by that waterfall recently.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Waterfalls: Are to dwarves what strings covered in catnip with a mouse at the end are to cats.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Waterfalls: Are to dwarves what strings covered in catnip with a mouse at the end are to cats.

You do realize that now, somebody must make one of these in-game.  Preferably powered by lava.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.