Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal barrels for food only?  (Read 843 times)

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
    • My Linkedin.com profile is all bout me
Metal barrels for food only?
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

Is there any way to ensure that metal barrel are used only to store food, and not booze or plants?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal barrels for food only?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:01:20 pm »

To my knowledge, all barrels are considered equal, so no. Good luck keeping your artifact barrels from being used (without forbidding them, anyway).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:19:38 pm »

In theory, there is a way.

Have two different furniture stockpiles that only accept barrels. One gets the wooden ones the other takes the metal ones.

Either have the booze and food industry on different z levels, inhabitated by "hermit" style dwarves that only can access the according type of barrel (use chutes to enter the barrels and supplies for the hermits and to get out the stuff they produce).

Or lock up the doors of the barrelpile you dont want to use and only produce food and booze alternately. Yay for horrible, horrible complications and micromanagement galore.

Or maybe if you play around with the locations of the barrelpiles, the workshops and the meeting area you can get it to work somewhat automatically. hmmm.... I guess its nigh impossible, since its very hard to predict where your brewer or cook will be when they task up that job. But I THINK if you made sure the each workshop is closer to their according barrelpile, you will get only few barrels of the "wrong type" used up.

What I think will happen is: whenever a dwarf goes "on duty" and starts cooking/brewing, they will task up ingredients and barrels closest to them. At this point it's hard to predict where they are, so if you manage to place your shit smartly, you'll have a 50/50 chance of the dwarf using the "wrong" barrel. Now the dwarf completes his first job, and stays on duty, since they are probably rested and well fed. They'll pick the closest barrel again and the chance to grab the "correct" barrel is a lot higher now, since the according pile should be close. Use this method if you dont suffer from OCD  ;D

One more thing I could think of would be to exploit the fact you can store food outside of barrels. Make some 0 barrel stockpiles, branching out away from the booze industry... then, at the end ... oh wait, I think I didnt think that one through properly  ;D

And last but not least, I dont think it will work, but maybe it does: set the food stockpiles to "take from" the according barrelpile. Maybe it helps.

edit: All in all this sounds as if it could be complicated enough to be the sole purpose of one fortress  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 01:22:42 pm by Puck »

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:14:09 pm »

Separated areas that only "communicate" through dropping stuff through holes is just sooo dwarven. I LOVE IT!
No more artefacts made from the wrong stuff, no more idleing etc.

I... so... have... to... do... that

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 02:26:06 pm »

Hey Redhades, is your title text a reference to this?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 02:33:49 pm »

Separated areas that only "communicate" through dropping stuff through holes is just sooo dwarven. I LOVE IT!
No more artefacts made from the wrong stuff, no more idleing etc.

I... so... have... to... do... that
The chute idea isnt mine, and frankly, I dont like it. You have to micromanage to much. But I'm working on an automated chute system combined with an airlock. Once I have the timing down and don't get my dwarves smashed anymore, I'll post it. No more dumping, just stockpiles and automatization. You'll probably like it.

OMG I just figured out how to even make the food input for the hermit levels automatic without over/underfeeding them  :o

Oh boy oh boy, I hope there will be a day of bad weather coming up ahead so I have some time to test this!

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 02:39:38 pm »

Is there any way to ensure that metal barrel are used only to store food, and not booze or plants?
Nope, if the word is "ensure". Constantly using the forbid tag on wooden barrels may help a bit (easiest and fastest way), but very tiring in the long run.

Don't use barrels for food. Unprepared meals look more graphically appeasing, and gives the dwarves a reason to dig more space to place food.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 02:43:27 pm »

He is also worried about plants. I tell ye, "ensure" works with hermit layers. Or micromanaging locking doors in front of separated barrelstockpiles.

Or just build pseudo-hermit layers: Build a lever in an area that has a wooden barrel stockpile. the whole area needs everything you use for booze production as well. assign that lever (that is not connected to anything) to your brewer and set it on pull/R.

Once that lil fella arrives, lock the access to the area, cancel his pull/r task and start brewing.

Same thing for food production.

Either unlock the access to bring the products to their final destination, or use chutes (again).

Its very much doable, the plant thing will be a REAL pita, however, unless you go self sustaining hermit layers.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:48:24 pm by Puck »

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 04:16:17 pm »

What about those "Allow Plant/Animal" and Allow "Non-Plant/Animal" in the stockpile settings?
Do these have an effect on the containers, or just the actual items being stored in a stockpile?

I guess all foods and drinks fit in the Plant/Animal category, and thing like stone, metals and glass fit in the other.

Hey Redhades, is your title text a reference to this?
Yes, that's exactly it!   ;D
But I had not seen the video. Wow!
I'm sure they just could not make that video any more relevant to the song.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 05:33:02 am »

It just occured to me, it aint that hard without tooooo much micromanagement to pull this off:

First, create those two seperate barrelpiles, make them only accessible by their according industry branch.

In the kitchen / brewery you put a lever each, so you can "call" your dwarves to their workshop. For extra safety lock the door to their working area, and have a bed and some supplies ready, so they can work for long periods of time.

then just create their jobs. if you watch when they go on break, you can even leave the door unlocked, so the other dwarves can haul during production.

I'm not 100% sure, but I guess dwarves will task up the closest item once their job is created. By calling them to the lever and (initially) locking them in, you an make sure their according barreltype is closest to them.

Should work reliably enough.

Redhades

• Bay Watcher
  • That boy needs therapy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:22:30 am »

I tried turning of the "Allow Non-Plant/Animal" from the settings of my Drinks and Plants stockpiles, just to see what happens.
Turns out my dwarfs no longer wanted to haul anything onto them, which ended up in a whole season of crops left to die in the farmplots.

Oups.

So I just don't get these stockpile settings.