Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Ridiculous-but-effective defence systems  (Read 5004 times)

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous-but-effective defence systems
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2009, 08:52:26 pm »

Then I set the lever controlling the drawbridge on repeating Pull.

Why not use a pressure plater instead of the lever on repeated pull?  ;) If you do though, I advise building a bridge before *and* after the pressure plater, as there is a lag after they step on the plate, and so the back ones don't just get to run away (muhaha)

Hmm.  I hadn't thought about that.  I'll have to research pressure plates and see what triggers them.  (I'm too nice - I let the elves live.)
Or you can make a spiked floor, with upright floor spikes, but have, say, 6 kittens and each kitten linked to 1/6th of the spikes. You now have spikes that randomly shoot up out of the floor.

;D

Kitten powered death machines are always amusing.

Or... Build 10 or so tiny little drawbridges linked to pressure plates! Imagine it... Continuous wave of motion, flying goblins, goblins being smashed into oblivion...
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2009, 09:08:42 pm »

Once upon i time, i chained a tame dragon behind fortifications, then blocked LOS with floodgates. when the trolls came i learned two things- First, trolls will destroy iron floodgates. second, dragons wont bother to try breathing through fortifications :(
dragon lived, but was useless for the flaming goblin surprise defense. 

another map, i put defense on the edge of the map, with channels between em to save time in covering most of the edge with weapon traps. it worked... but sadly the LONG walk to the edge to retrieve all the iron to smelt was the flaw of that plan.

havent done any 'interesting' defenses in a while sadly. just the usual 3-wide wagon-path of death. well, i have balista and catapult lined up just in case, but nothings gotten that far in yet.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2009, 10:52:51 pm »

Hey, here's an idea for how to do the dragon thing. Put him behind a channel, and put floodgates around him. Then, put him near your entrance, or somewhere slightly confined (so marksdwarves need to be within burn distance to shoot).

This way, trolls wont break the floodgates and he can still fire it up.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 12:06:46 pm »

It's more Dwarfy when you've got more than 100 of anything.

Like that time I built a Fortress on the Desert and covered the entire ground Z-Level with Stone-Fall Traps. That was over 16,000 I think.

Dude that means you pressed B -> shift + T -> s 16,000 times

That means, just to build that, you pressed 64,000 keys.

That's like... more times than i've masturbated for christs sake

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »

When pooling liquids go in.. how about a corridr that lashes them with whips, and then dumps prickleberry juice in the open wounds? (and drowns them in citrusy goodnes?)

My god, you are a GENIUS!

i need some way of actually removing their skin first, however....

Love, jakkarra

Tie them up and bring them to a tanner's shop. Make Goblin leather.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 07:31:35 pm »

Freeze them in Carbonite. And/or Obsidian.

Simply build a 1x1 prison, with a bauxite door. Then, give the prison a removable roof, through which lava and then water may be poured. Simply channel out the prison, and you've defied the Conservation of Mass AND eliminated an annoying and needy prisoner!

BONUS: If the obsidian leaves behind a stone, make a statue out of it and and place it in your highest ranking noble's room.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 07:37:49 pm by Arathanar »
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

GoneWacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 08:31:36 pm »

It's more Dwarfy when you've got more than 100 of anything.

Like that time I built a Fortress on the Desert and covered the entire ground Z-Level with Stone-Fall Traps. That was over 16,000 I think.

Dude that means you pressed B -> shift + T -> s 16,000 times

That means, just to build that, you pressed 64,000 keys.

That's like... more times than i've masturbated for christs sake

I guess that in situations like these, having a 'gamer keyboard' like the G15 that has programmable macro buttons, start to pay off. Situations where you have to repeatedly press the same key combination that is. I do not condone masturbation involving keyboard.

Right now my PC is broken and I've not bothered plugging the keyboard into my laptop, but when my PC is fixed I will definitely have such macro keys as 'down, enter' for when I want to mark everything in my Trade Depot for trade...

But I digress. And have nothing interesting to say that would even remotely be considered on topic. Woe is me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:03:15 pm by GoneWacko »
This is a stack of 9 finely-prepared Prickle berry stew. The ingredients are finely minced Prickle berry, finely minced Prickle berry and superiorly minced Prickle berry.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »

I guess that in situations like these, having a 'gamer keyboard' like the G15 that has programmable macro buttons, start to pay off. Situations where you have to repeatedly press the same key combination that is.

With one of the macro tools, it's also easy to have it build out a region of traps. I had one that would create a 3x10 hallway of upright spike traps (10 spikes per trap) with a single push of a button. Just needed to make sure that the only mechanisms and spike weapons were the ones that were suitable for the task (a bit of item forbidding ahead of time).

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2009, 04:03:07 am »

You can have pits with spikes. Just get weapon traps with menacing spikes in them at the bottom of a 1 z level drop ( Have 10 wooden ones...The enemy dies slower HAHAAH :) ). I swear. It must be as satisfying as hell to see an elf drop down and paint the floor in his own blood and guts. :D Viva le sadism!
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 05:41:55 am »

I make a bridge over a pit as my main entrance and under that I have a walkway of grates supported by very high stone pillars

b = bridge
g = grate
s = floor with statue
a = air
w = wall

front view of walkway with the bridge above it :
wbbbw
wgsgw
wawaw

top view of walkway :
wgggw
wgsgw
wgggw

now, I have two levers on repeat, each assigned to the grates in alternating bands like so :
1 = lever1
2 = lever2

w121w
w2s2w
w121w
w212w
w1s1w

now, have the two levers in different states
then get them to repeat, the grates will alternatively open/close while still leaving a path to traverse
when an enemy is spotted the above bridge is raised, having the alternating grate walkway as the only way in.

inevitably, they move onto a grate that opens under them, destination is lava, pit, water, floodable pit, zombie/undead storage pit, whatever your fevered little mind can think of.

I'm pondering the use of water-triggered pressure plates to mechanize the grate switching process, any ideas ?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:03 am »

When pooling liquids go in.. how about a corridr that lashes them with whips, and then dumps prickleberry juice in the open wounds? (and drowns them in citrusy goodnes?)

My god, you are a GENIUS!

i need some way of actually removing their skin first, however....

Love, jakkarra

I prefer EVIL Genius.  And if I recall correctly, aren't HFS created w/o skin?

Along this same track... I want to be able to drown enemies in vinegar... or better still, formaldehyde.  :)

Molten glass > All that. After it cools, you get a 3d picture of a elf/goblin/megabeast/noble burning to death which can then be placed in the dining room.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Koki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 01:28:24 pm »

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to dump some lava on the top, creating a thin layer of obsidian which occasionally has pockets of air underneath it, but its really hard to rig it so that they just don't get encased in obsidian and receive a merciful death.

How about dumping the lava somewhere near and simply scalding them to death instead?

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2009, 10:54:49 am »

Then I set the lever controlling the drawbridge on repeating Pull.

Why not use a pressure plater instead of the lever on repeated pull?  ;) If you do though, I advise building a bridge before *and* after the pressure plater, as there is a lag after they step on the plate, and so the back ones don't just get to run away (muhaha)

Hmm.  I hadn't thought about that.  I'll have to research pressure plates and see what triggers them.  (I'm too nice - I let the elves live.)

The best way for an automatic system is to chain up a kitten. Then surround it with pressure plates. You can do this by limiting the space it can roam in to just two squares, with one having the chain and the other having the pressure plate. Link the pressure plate to whatever you want. Then as the kitten wanders about, it will continually trigger the pressure plate, thus slaughtering entire armies of goblins.

You can chain up more kittens, linking more pressure plates to the same mechanisms to have it triggered even more often.

Or you can make a spiked floor, with upright floor spikes, but have, say, 6 kittens and each kitten linked to 1/6th of the spikes. You now have spikes that randomly shoot up out of the floor.

;D

Kitten powered death machines are always amusing.

I have been working up a maze that enemies have to pass through in order to make it into my fortress.  Tho not completed, the plan is to have the aboveground portion of my fortress house the trade depot and a few other things, with a retractable bridge to close up the main entrance.  I had planned to chain a kitten as bait at the end of the maze so that enemies would path to it and find their deaths to stone fall traps, etc.

Now I have both useful bait and an interesting lottery to see if they can make it through the maze without getting punctured.  I think it will be so amusing that I will link the bridge with maze entrances so dwarves stay out when the bridge is down.. enemies making it through the maze will be allowed entrance to the bait room, with doors linked to pressure plates near the end of the maze protecting the kittens from anyone making it through.  Perhaps another door can open when that pressure plate is activated, releasing captured baddies into the room to fight with the attackers..

Hmm.  I wonder if I can make it work.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »

Basically I have a standard entrance to my fort which I close off in the event of attack, making the invaders instead path to a route which snakes back on itself over and over for several whole z levels, and then they go up a tower that is hugely high (top of the map), that is connected by a couple of bridges to the second tower entrance to my fort. The bridges are directly over the main entrance to my fort, which is open from the top, but closed to the side. The bridges retract. They fall a long way down. For a second before they explode on impact, they are inside my fort. I just love the fact that they try so hard and spend so long trying to get into my fort only to have their wish granted, but in a totally horrific way. Needless to say, my main entranceway is peppered with body parts and narrow iron boots (I could burn it all up in magma but I prefer the horribly gory mental image).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2009, 03:18:46 pm »

Remember back when in Subject: Mega Project? Tricky one. . . Need suitable location., I mentioned my crazy Moses entryway system? (my idea in full in 1st spoiler)

Well, I found the picture. The edit is at the bottom of the post (with 2nd spoiler).

I just wanted to update that I found the pic. I'm gonna see if it can possibly work like I illustrated it to. I can just freeze the ocean/lake and carve into the area to build it, right? I'll submit the movie when I get around to it with the machine in action with power switches. Hopefully, no drawbridges would be necessary to make the area walkable. This is just going to be a run to have proof of concept.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It took some time, but I finally found the picture, and I colored it in to clarify how it would look. It was a concept sketch, so quality is not an issue. And yes, those are waterwheels and stacked windmills in the background.

EDIT:
Oh, and BTW, the POV is supposed to be +1 or +2 Z above the entryway. And the towers are built to scale at least 6-8 Z tall.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:27:08 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]