Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ridiculous-but-effective defence systems  (Read 4999 times)

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous-but-effective defence systems
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »

Invaders have to approach through a chamber filled with grates which drop them into another chamber. The second chamber is split in half with a clear glass wall, allowing them to see each other but not interact. I release hordes of skeletons, carp, megabeasts, or whatever into one half of the chamber, allowing the baddies in the other half to look on in terror as their compatriots are eliminated. Once the bloodbath is complete, i *very* slowly flood the living badguys with water. I have it rigged so that it takes months to fill completely. Once its completely full, I lower the water a little bit, just enough to keep them alive, then raise it again. I also often dump the corpses of their fallen companions into the flooded chamber, allowing them to swim in a stew of miasma and death. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to dump some lava on the top, creating a thin layer of obsidian which occasionally has pockets of air underneath it, but its really hard to rig it so that they just don't get encased in obsidian and receive a merciful death. Once they all reach legendary swimming skill, I drain the entire chamber into my arena/nobles chambers. This method is also highly effective against elves.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 06:41:29 pm »

When pooling liquids go in.. how about a corridr that lashes them with whips, and then dumps prickleberry juice in the open wounds? (and drowns them in citrusy goodnes?)

My god, you are a GENIUS!

i need some way of actually removing their skin first, however....

Love, jakkarra

I prefer EVIL Genius.  And if I recall correctly, aren't HFS created w/o skin?

Along this same track... I want to be able to drown enemies in vinegar... or better still, formaldehyde.  :)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 06:47:57 pm »

Mod in a liquid that removes the skin layer material or better yet reacts with it to form vinegar.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Jakkarra

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 07:11:26 pm »

Hooray for sadism!

i want a trap that attacks a million times with slashing damage, and does 0.000000000000000000000001 damage.

a Quadrillion Paper cuts! (for each point of damage, hehe)

THEN we may dispense the Glorious Liquid.

love, jakkarra

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 08:59:25 pm »

I like just getting a long hallway, water on one side, and magma on the other, and make some goblin glass.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 11:58:52 pm »

If only there were a way to have a moving wall, I would produce a fine-screen mesh that forces invaders through. It also makes hamburgers out of cats and dices fruits and vegetables.

Just consider it a juicer trap.

Hey, it would reduce the amount of work the kitchen and butcher staff need to do, plus it can also be a dinner and a show. Or a dinner presented as a show.

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 12:20:56 am »

Nothing too complex, but a lot of fun.

I have a two tiered fortress...  Outer walls, surrounding my courtyard, and inner walls, that protect my obelisk and doors to the fortress.  Behind the obelisk is a giant, three story magma reservoir that is kept full to the brim.  When the enemy attacks, I order all dwarves inside...  And just when most of the sieging enemy is about to get inside my fortress, I close the inner drawbridge .  The rest of the enemies come pouring into the inside of my walls, and then I close the outer drawbridge, trapping them in.

Open up the two floodgates keeping the magma back...  and watch the enemy burn!  When the majority have died by fire, I open the outer bridge.  The smoke and smell of burning orc flesh is typically enough to scare the remainder away.  Collect iron, rinse, repeat...

Also, I've had a few of my champion marksdwarves climb to the top of my 8 story obelisk, and fire upon orcs on the ground, that are well outside my walls.  Epic marksmanship right there.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 01:09:55 am »

I have been toying around with a magma flashing system.  It is based on having pumps above the entry way that suck the magma up just as fast as it is dropped in.  Most of the tiles in the entry way are grates allowing any magma that isn't pumped up to fall back into the reservior.

While the system is on the entry way remains pathable, but magma appears and disappears randomly at all 24 tiles.  It almost guarantees that nothing can make it through without a proper magma bath, and they will gleefully walk right into it.

The passage is wide enough to accommodate wagons, but I haven't tested turning it on when the dwarven traders come yet.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 01:14:53 am »

A long closed corridor over a magma reserve that i pressurize with pumps when the gobs enter the corridor. the pressurized magma rises one level and then sinks back under the corridor and leaves neatly stacked piles of iron.

pretty elegant indeed.  using grates for the  corridor floor?

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 02:28:14 am »

I'm going to test this one eventually...

The plan is to surround the entry to my fortress with a ten z-level deep pit, and have drawbridges which toss invaders into the pit.  The entry will be walled upward five z-levels so I don't accidentally catapult goblins into my fortress with the bridges, and the pit will be walled so invaders are forced to walk past as much drawbridge as possible.

When the enemy comes, I order dwarves inside, anybody that isn't in quickly will get locked out via drawbridge.  Then I set the lever controlling the drawbridge on repeating Pull.

I won't get to see it, but the image of a creature flying through the air, going *splat* against the wall, then falling ten z-levels will amuse me well beyond what it should.

There will be a stairway down to the bottom, so anything that survives the fall can climb back out and try again, and so that I can raid the corpses if I feel like it.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 03:36:02 am »

pretty elegant indeed.  using grates for the  corridor floor?
Partially, as i want the traders to be able to get in i need to make it three tiles wide and thus need some solid floors to support the grates. I haven't been able to figure out a way to change this.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2009, 04:11:35 am »

I like just getting a long hallway, water on one side, and magma on the other, and make some goblin glass.

Gobsidian?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2009, 05:19:35 am »

I like to build big machines.

Currently, I have a magma reservoir, which I am working on building pipes to drop magma on things. I am rapidly working on a water tower, to do similar things with. Not to mention the dug-out hill that will soon be converted into a massive siege engine range aiming at my fort... bwahaha
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2009, 05:23:17 am »

I'm going to test this one eventually...

The plan is to surround the entry to my fortress with a ten z-level deep pit, and have drawbridges which toss invaders into the pit.  The entry will be walled upward five z-levels so I don't accidentally catapult goblins into my fortress with the bridges, and the pit will be walled so invaders are forced to walk past as much drawbridge as possible.

When the enemy comes, I order dwarves inside, anybody that isn't in quickly will get locked out via drawbridge.  Then I set the lever controlling the drawbridge on repeating Pull.

I won't get to see it, but the image of a creature flying through the air, going *splat* against the wall, then falling ten z-levels will amuse me well beyond what it should.

There will be a stairway down to the bottom, so anything that survives the fall can climb back out and try again, and so that I can raid the corpses if I feel like it.

Why not use a pressure plater instead of the lever on repeated pull?  ;) If you do though, I advise building a bridge before *and* after the pressure plater, as there is a lag after they step on the plate, and so the back ones don't just get to run away (muhaha)

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2009, 01:19:00 am »

Then I set the lever controlling the drawbridge on repeating Pull.

Why not use a pressure plater instead of the lever on repeated pull?  ;) If you do though, I advise building a bridge before *and* after the pressure plater, as there is a lag after they step on the plate, and so the back ones don't just get to run away (muhaha)

Hmm.  I hadn't thought about that.  I'll have to research pressure plates and see what triggers them.  (I'm too nice - I let the elves live.)
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4